sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

March 30, 2018 5:50 pm  #1

Is Your Home Radio Licence Up To Date?

Actually, that subject question would have been more appropriate a number of decades ago. I'm not sure how many of us know that at one time, you had to pay for a licence to own a radio in your own home in Canada. I found that out when one of them turned up in an old Victrola I inherited from my grandmother many years ago. (Why it was in an old record player which had no radio is anyone's guess.) 

In those days, of course (1937) a radio was a huge piece of furniture that could weigh up to 200 lbs. And wasn't it nice of the government to allow you to also own a radio in your "automobile" for the same $2 price tag. (Worth around $35 or so in modern times.) So it wasn't exactly cheap. This is the same scheme they use in Britain to fund the BBC.

I'm not sure who "Lena Eller," the woman whose name is on the licence below was, but it appears she was paid in full for the year. I wonder when this levy started and more importantly, when and how it ended. (Have you ever heard of a tax being taken off something?)

But maybe I shouldn't post this. I don't want to give Nickel-And-Dime Federal Finance Minister Bill Morneau any more cockamamie ideas about how to pull more money out of our wallets!

March 30, 2018 6:23 pm  #2

Re: Is Your Home Radio Licence Up To Date?

YES!!  This IS what the regulars on here want!  Bring back Chum in their heyday.  F-progress.  F-technology.  F-changes.  Bring back the good ole days.

March 30, 2018 9:52 pm  #3

Radio licences were discontinued in 1953. Interesting since that's around the time that television began in Canada.

http://www.northernelectric.ca/radios/mot_warning/mot_warning.htm

Last edited by Hansa (March 30, 2018 9:53 pm)

March 31, 2018 12:59 am  #4

cGrant wrote:

YES!!    F-progress.  F-technology.  F-changes.  Bring back the good ole days.

You say that yet Q107 has yet to change their name to Big FM. 

Last edited by Radiowiz (March 31, 2018 1:00 am)

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.