sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

March 23, 2018 11:25 am  #1

Was CKVR Barrie The First TV Station In History To Stay On All Night?

There will probably never be any way to accurately answer that question, but a case can be made that what was then little independent CKVR in Barrie was the first station in TV history to stay on all night.

It’s commonplace now, but those who were around before the era of ’24 hour television’ certainly remember the days when what few TV outlets existed would show an ancient movie (usually called something like “The Late Show”) chopped to pieces for commercials starting around 11:30 PM and running until roughly 1 AM. That was sometimes followed by a prayer or an editorial, the anthem, a test pattern and then – snow.

But while digging through a drawer I haven’t opened in years, I came across an old yellowed copy of the Toronto Star from March 7, 1958, with a column by Gordon Sinclair of CFRB fame. He was apparently also the Star’s TV columnist at that time.

His headline that day is titled “Barrie TV On All Night.” Here’s the text:

Comes now Canada’s first all-night TV ! !
Barrie on Channel 3 will start all-night film grinds next Friday.
Not every night. Just Friday night.
President Ralph Snelgrove says a survey showed that one person in 10 within viewer range of CKVR wanted the all night program and Ralph says that adds up to at least one night hawk in each of 35,000 homes.
Film on opening night will be “Luck of the Irish” and there will be news, sports, weather reports and other items through the night.
Sign off will be at 9 in the morning. Toronto viewers will be able to catch the all-night entertainment.

What really surprises me about the story is that they tried to provide news and more during this marathon. And also that they still signed off – but not until 9 AM Saturday, when the other stations had just come back on the air.

I wonder how long this lasted and how many people actually tuned in. And if, in fact, it was the first case of a TV station staying on all night to service an audience that normally saw only static.

March 23, 2018 11:45 am  #2

Re: Was CKVR Barrie The First TV Station In History To Stay On All Night?

During the 1970s and 80s, I vaguely recall them going off at night, and that may correlate to (being off) weekdays-only as alluded to in the article. I vaguely recall that. But time plays tricks on one's memory. I'm a DXer and Barrie is close to my site but I was still able to snag distant stations with CKVR *ON* the air. There were occasional times they were off for prolonged periods of time - once for close to a week when a plane hit their tower. I have over the decades logged channel 3 stations in places as far flung as Sterling Colorado. My frequency logs for channel 3 are printed below. I had just about every station in single-hop skip range. But my date logs from the 70s and 80s are in WordPerfect files and I have no access to them without getting them converted somehow. (I keep printed logs but they're not with me in Toronto). So I can't definitively answer the question. But my strong but uncertain recollection is that, for my DXing time frame in the 70s and 80s, they were off somewhere between midnight and 6 am, more or less, and quite possibly just during weekdays; and my logs would not be that specific. 
3 (40)
CBWFT        MB Winnipeg            Es
CBHT        NS Halifax            Es
CJCB6        NS Port Hawkesbury    Es
CKVR        ON Barrie                Tr            TO DTV 10
CBOT6        ON Chalk River            Tr
CICI1        ON Elliot Lake            Tr
CHAU1        QC Sainte Marguerite    Es
CBKT7        SA Warmley Estevan    Es
CKOS        SA Yorkton            Es
WVUA-CA-7    AL Greensboro        Es
KUPN        CO Sterling            Es                TO DTV
WEAR        FL Pensacola        Es        Ms        TO DTV
WEDU        FL Tampa            Es                TO DTV
WRBL        GA Columbus            Es                TO DTV
WSAV        GA Savannah            Es                TO DTV
WSIL        IL Harrisburg        Es                TO DTV
KIMT        IA Mason City        Es                TO DTV
KSWK        KS Lakin            Es                TO DTV
KSNW        KS Wichita            Es                TO DTV
KATC        LA Lafayette        Es                TO DTV
KTBS        LA Shreveport        Es                TO DTV
WJMN        MI Escanaba                Tr            TO DTV
KDLH        MN Duluth            Es                TO DTV
WLBT        MS Jackson            Es                TO DTV
KTVO        MO Kirksville        Es                TO DTV
KYTV        MO Springfield        Es        Ms        TO DTV
KLNE        NE Lexington        Es                TO DTV
KMTV        NE Omaha            Es                TO DTV
WSTM        NY Syracuse                Tr            TO DTV
WWAY        NC Wilmington        Es                TO DTV
KBME        ND Bismarck            Es                TO DTV
WKYC        OH Cleveland            Tr            TO DTV
KOET        OK Eufala            Es                TO DTV
KOTA        SD Rapid City        Es                TO DTV
KDLO        SD Florence            Es                TO DTV
WRCB        TN Chattanooga                Ms        TO DTV
WREG        TN Memphis            Es                TO DTV
KBTX        TX Bryan            Es                TO DTV
KFDX        TX Wichita Falls        Es                TO DTV
WTKR        VA Norfolk                    Ms        TO DTV 

Last edited by Saul (March 23, 2018 11:52 am)

March 23, 2018 2:40 pm  #3

Ah classic CKVR those were the days.  However I only remember the staying young enough from late 80s and thru the New VR days until now as we frequent the area for cottage since then.

The Barrie area is expanding...things are being built and growing around especially around their studio.  Sooner or later there will be a lot of things established if not already around their big tower and studio whos white beacon lights you can see flashing from a far heading up highway 400.  

Last edited by markow202 (March 23, 2018 2:41 pm)

March 23, 2018 4:35 pm  #4

The Barrie area is expanding...things are being built and growing around especially around their studio.  Sooner or later there will be a lot of things established if not already around their big tower and studio whos white beacon lights you can see flashing from a far heading up highway 400.  

The very reason bell eagerly gobbled up Larche radio.  They don't care about the owen sound or sudbury markets as much as they wanted the 400 corridor and south muskoka.

March 23, 2018 10:04 pm  #5

"Life without echo is really no life at all." - Dan Ingram

September 2, 2019 12:41 am  #6

Old post however, speaking of Barrie at night, the CKVR tower hasn’t been lit for a week at night.

September 2, 2019 12:44 am  #7

markow202 wrote:

Old post however, speaking of Barrie at night, the CKVR tower hasn’t been lit for a week at night.

setting up for another airplane strike?