sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

March 11, 2018 3:06 pm  #1

Last night's news coverage of the Ontario PC leadership race

Was scanning the TV stations to see who was covering the leadership contest...at 10 pm, when the news came in...and CP24 was pretty much the only game in town, until CBC Newsworld came on board slight after 10 pm, and preempted the Nature of Things...

CFTO had a program on and CBC had hockey, but it is was the West Coast game...not the prime time Leaf game...

I thought CP24/CTV news had the best coverage over all...and so did CBC Newsworld up until 8 pm, when they threw to regular programming.

The world would be so good if it weren't for some people...

March 11, 2018 4:14 pm  #2

Re: Last night's news coverage of the Ontario PC leadership race

Muffaraw Joe wrote:

I thought CP24/CTV news had the best coverage over all...and so did CBC Newsworld up until 8 pm, when they threw to regular programming. 

WHAT?!?  Say it isn't so?!?  A private corporation had "the best coverage over all".  But, the general consensus on here is that only the CBC can impart this type of coverage.  Well, then... Hmmmm 

March 11, 2018 4:24 pm  #3

I was more surprised by what happened on Friday. While all the chaos was going on with the court challenge seeking an injunction on the announcement itself – the live radio in this town turned upside down.

Normally, there is a lot of criticism here about GNR 640 being out to lunch when it comes to breaking stories, while CFRB has it all. But for some reason, this time, the roles were reversed.

Not long after the endless wait for the judge’s ruling ended (is everything around the PCs a game of “wait and wait and wait some more?”) and media outlets discovered the Saturday announcement would proceed as scheduled, 640’s increasingly terrific Alex Pierson show went on an almost two hour blitz covering it, featuring experts from Global’s Queen's Park guru Alan Carter to political reporters, pundits, listeners and more.

And what was CFRB’s Barb DiGiulio doing while this tale of intrigue was unfolding? The topic was something about a woman who was snubbed by not being invited to a wedding. Or something like that, because I didn’t stick around long enough to hear the rest.

Half an hour later, 1010 continued to ignore this story, with Barb proudly unveiling something called “The Listener Roundtable,” a feature in which listeners come in and give their opinions on a wide variety of topics. Again, non-experts talking about everything under the sun – except the one story that you’d think would be right down their alley.

It doesn’t happen often, but 640 cleaned 1010’s clock on Friday. I can’t figure out why the producer didn’t insist on dumping whatever was scheduled and going with an unfolding drama that had high interest even for casual listeners. I will give them this – CFRB more than made up for it with a marathon broadcast at that insane P.C. meeting on Saturday, while Roy Green on Corus offered only hourly updates. 

The RB crew stayed on for more than four and half hours in a special that was supposed to last only 60 minutes or so.

That said, once again, I’m finding Alex’s well-paced effort the show to monitor at night – and Barb’s a complete waste of trivial “family-centric” (your kids, your marriage, your love life etc.) airtime.

March 11, 2018 5:30 pm  #4

RadioActive wrote:

And what was CFRB’s Barb DiGiulio doing while this tale of intrigue was unfolding? The topic was something about a woman who was snubbed by not being invited to a wedding. 

.....Half an hour later, 1010 continued to ignore this story.....
I can’t figure out why the producer didn’t insist on dumping whatever was scheduled and going with an unfolding drama that had high interest even for casual listeners.

Perhaps, because, Barb cannot handle anything beyond safe pablum.  RB has become a wasteland after 7pm.  With "the Yeller" (sorry, I mean Barb), then a simulcast of a dull tv newscast, followed by hours of para-crap all night long.

As critical of 640 as I have been, they buffed up their evenings/overnights to a listenable product.

My only issue with them is during Charles and Drudge's network shows (from Vancouver), their network break returns are choppy, sloppy and ill-timed.

March 11, 2018 7:16 pm  #5

Have to agree with Muffaraw Joe.  While I dislike CP24's small (video) screen for long term watching;  as a self admitted politics junkie, I found myself tuned to their coverage 90% of the time Saturday night.

March 11, 2018 11:09 pm  #6

Media Observer wrote:

Have to agree with Muffaraw Joe.  While I dislike CP24's small (video) screen for long term watching;  as a self admitted politics junkie, I found myself tuned to their coverage 90% of the time Saturday night.

C24's feed was available minus the tickers at ctvnews.ca all day and evening Saturday.

March 11, 2018 11:35 pm  #7

cGrant wrote:

Muffaraw Joe wrote:

WHAT?!?  Say it isn't so?!?  A private corporation had "the best coverage over all".  But, the general consensus on here is that only the CBC can impart this type of coverage.  Well, then... Hmmmm 

If this were a Federal issue CBC Newsworld would bend over backwards to try and be number one, no doubt.

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.

March 12, 2018 9:08 am  #8

I watched CBC and listened to CFRB. Both struck me as not very professional. I understand it's hard to unexpectedly fill several hours when not much is going on but both panels seemed punch drunk. Also, both CBC and CFRB only had Tories and neutrals on their panels which I found quite dull. I recall watching earlier Ontario leadership conventions that had members of the other parties there too to spice things up. (Of course a Stephen Lewis or a Hugh Segal - both regular panelists at these things in the 80s and 90s - were also much more entertaining to listen to as panelists than the ineliquent party drones who are brought out these days)

(Of course, modern leadership elections are much duller than old style leadership conventions and accordingly much less interesting to watch, even with the Tory meltdown on Saturday).

Last edited by Hansa (March 12, 2018 9:09 am)

March 13, 2018 10:24 pm  #9

It seemed like CBC's Mike Crawley was way ahead of CP24 with his info on what was happening with the count and he beat everyone to word that Ford had won.  CP24 seemed to just be babbling that they had no idea what was happening.  Did not hear CFRB's coverage so I can't comment.