sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

January 23, 2018 6:53 pm  #1

Being Frank..

I grabbed the audio version of Frank D'angelo's book and I've been loving it during my travels.  I know he gets an up and down ride here, but I've enjoyed his movies, and this book is a fun read.  

It's billed as being read by him, but it isn't.  The 'guest' reader though (yes guy!) does a great job, and as I said, it makes for a great way to pass time.

It's never going to win a nobel prize in literature, but I would guess by it's tone, it was never meant to.  It's a conversational poignant and at times very funny escape.

Anyway..  

http://amzn.to/2rtYHAA

ig.

Madness takes its toll.  Please have exact change.

January 23, 2018 7:43 pm  #2

Re: Being Frank..

Are reviews accurate ig??

The reviews include the following ...

"....Frank D'Angelo is a barely literate megalomaniac..."

"...not worth the paper it's printed on..."

":...this man is a disgrace..."

"....he is a massive failure...."

"....a preening failed businessman...."

"...Frank D'Angelo is a narcissist of the first degree...."

"....Potentially the worst book you will read this decade...."

Seems to me the one single positive review may have been written and submitted by Frank D. himself

Last edited by unclefester (January 23, 2018 7:53 pm)

January 23, 2018 7:52 pm  #3

Probably..  but not for me.  Anyone who knows me knows I not only have weird tastes, but I'm usually on the side of the underdog.   I tend enjoy the Canadian TV shows and music that everyone is supposed to hate, 

Like I said, I found it funny, heartwarming, and because I admittedly already have a soft spot for Frank, I probably liked it more than someone looking for a literary escape.  Say what you like about the guy, he just won't stay down, even when there's no logical reason for him to get back up and keep fighting.  

There are also more than a few who can't stand him, how he presents himself and the way he promotes and markets himself.  I'd suggest those people probably got the book, if they indeed did, just to burn it. 

It's very un-Canadian to promote yourself and openly promote your own accomplishments, and anyone who tends to do that is openly frowned upon.  IMHO that's why we don't really have a 'star' system in Canada, because anyone who does achieve that status is expected to immediately sit down for a burger with any group at McDonalds or they're obviously a self centred asshole.  

And for the record, those reviewers you quoted, are very close to the same reviews I get on an increasingly regular basis .

ig.

unclefester wrote:

Are reviews accurate ig??

The reviews include the following ...

"....Frank D'Angelo is a barely literate megalomaniac..."

"...not worth the paper it's printed on..."

":...this man is a disgrace..."

"....he is a massive failure...."

Madness takes its toll.  Please have exact change.

January 23, 2018 8:03 pm  #4

ig wrote:

And for the record, those reviewers you quoted, are very close to the same reviews I get on an increasingly regular basis .

ig.

You get 5 stars from me ig

January 24, 2018 3:04 am  #5

Anything with that bad of a review has to be good!

January 24, 2018 6:59 am  #6

One day Frank will be up there with the greats like Tommy Wiseau and Neil Breen.

January 24, 2018 1:50 pm  #8

You gotta believe to believe, baby!

January 28, 2018 11:43 am  #9

Say, you'll never guess who's inserted himself into the Barry & Honey Sherman murder case.

Barry Sherman's ex-biz partner Frank D'Angelo knew 'from day one' couple was murdered

January 28, 2018 4:55 pm  #10

A lot of people wondered whose money D'Angelo was pissing away when he turned Molson Indy into the Steelback Indy    

January 29, 2018 2:48 am  #11

i made the mistake of ordering "the neighborhood" by way of roger's on demand (a few weeks ago). the movie description made no mention of frank. we couldn't make it past the first 10 minutes then it clicked "hey, that's what's his name!".  we gave it 15 minutes then bailed. it was clearly a vanity movie written, directed and "starring" frank. rogers i want my $6.99 back! it was the worst movie i ever paid to see (bar none)!

January 30, 2018 11:53 am  #12

grilled.cheese wrote:

My woman and I willingly saw Sicilian Vampire at the "show (as old people call it) 

You call that a show?     Stormy Daniels at House of Lancaster is a SHOW

January 31, 2018 11:27 am  #13

This was an "ah ha!" moment for me.

RadioActive wrote:

Say, you'll never guess who's inserted himself into the Barry & Honey Sherman murder case.

Barry Sherman's ex-biz partner Frank D'Angelo knew 'from day one' couple was murdered

- Not an industry person.  Just a guy with a love of Toronto radio. 

February 1, 2018 10:38 pm  #14

Welcome back my friends to the show that never ends. 

Grilled Cheese's favourite host has landed a big fish - former White House Communications Director (for 10 whole days) Anthony Scaramucci.

How did he possibly end up on "Being Frank?"

According to the Toronto Star:

"Seems Scaramucci was charmed by D’Angelo — star of independent movies like “Sicilian Vampire” and “The Neighbourhood” — who simply invited him over Twitter. 

“I watched a couple of excerpts from the show,” Scaramucci said on Monday, the day he taped the show with D’Angelo, who he’d never met.

“I said, ‘Alright, this guy’s very entertaining, I’m going to come up and hang out with him.’ ”

Stranger than fiction, indeed.

Anthony Scaramucci on Trump, Mueller and the MeToo ‘neutron bomb

February 2, 2018 3:50 pm  #15

How long until Frank runs for political office?

February 2, 2018 4:17 pm  #16

Retaw wrote:

How long until Frank runs for political office?

How long until all this faux fandom becomes tedious, boring and a turn-off for visiting the bored? 🤔🔪

February 2, 2018 7:18 pm  #17

I am. Milking a moronic joke that was never funny to begin with for so long really is tedious. Thankfully, there is the glorious ignore function where I can mute the usual posters who have never, ever contributed absolutely anything of substance. They think they are so smart. Self-delusion is so strong with these nobodys, that I am surprised others here indulge their stupidity.

February 2, 2018 7:26 pm  #18

cGrant wrote:

I am. Milking a moronic joke that was never funny to begin with for so long really is tedious. Thankfully, there is the glorious ignore function where I can mute the usual posters who have never, ever contributed absolutely anything of substance. They think they are so smart. Self-delusion is so strong with these nobodys, that I am surprised others here indulge their stupidity.

None of us here could've described your contributions any better, cGrant. Well done!

February 2, 2018 9:09 pm  #19

Fjiri wrote:

None of us here could've described your contributions any better, cGrant. Well done!

Thank you. Everyone here seems to have their windmill they want to joist. Yours seems to be hanging on my every written word and critiquing it. You're welcome.

February 2, 2018 10:33 pm  #20

Frankly my dear, I don't give a D'Angelo.