sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

January 25, 2018 12:57 am  #1

Alex Pierson Pays Off For 640

It's not so much that Alex Pierson was on AM 640 Wednesday night. It was the fact ANYONE was on live after the dramatic implosion of Ontario P.C. leader Patrick Brown around 9:45 PM. In the old days, just a month or so ago, CFRB and to a lesser extent 680 News, would have had the story all to themselves, with the Corus station smack dab in the middle of a Coast to Coast reroll.

That didn't happen this time and instead of getting caught flat footed with no backup, Pierson stayed on the air, joined by political veterans Alan Carter and David Akin. Down the dial, Barb DiGuilio preempted Jon Pole and made do with phoners from Mark Towhey, Ryan Doyle and Jerry Agar, among others. In this case, the former station actually outdid the latter in terms of actual expertise.

Both stations did an OK job on a fast moving and totally unexpected story that seemed to come out of nowhere. (It was actually a CTV exclusive.) I'm often critical of 640's lack of backup but on this occasion, they showed they could step up to the plate with the game on the line.

For people exhausted with14 years of Liberal corruption and incompetence, it's too bad Patrick Brown was unable to show the same thing

January 25, 2018 1:23 am  #2

Re: Alex Pierson Pays Off For 640

I was watching the National on the east-coast feed when they broke into another piece to cover the news conference.  The anchor of the moment (there are so many to choose from I can't keep them straight) said after the conference that it was from a CTV report that was breaking.  I watched the CTV news at 10 (east coast feed) and it was the lead item and they were on it like a pit bull on a bone.  Even reporting the mass resignations that just happened moments earlier.

With that in mind, you would have expected 1010 to be a bit more on top of the coverage since they are a de facto CTV outlet.

One way or another this is going to turn ugly and messy.  Get the popcorn ready, we're going to be in for a hell of a ride.    

January 25, 2018 1:30 am  #3

And the Ontario Liberal party officially kicks off its 2018 campaign

More to come

Stay tuned

January 25, 2018 12:22 pm  #4

grilled.cheese wrote:

Dougie Ford for Premier

Folks, folks, I say folks, I gotta tell ya...
~ D. Ford

Come out to the coast, we'll get together, have a few laughs... 
~ John McClane

January 25, 2018 1:36 pm  #5

Alex Pierson for Premier. I would vote for her.

January 25, 2018 2:00 pm  #6

While not disputing the courage it takes any victim of either gender to come forward and not being a fan of Patrick Brown, I rather like the phrase coined on "Real Time With Bill Maher" last week.

After his friend and fellow comedian Aziz Ansari was accused of some potentially reputation-ruining sexual shenanigans with absolutely no proof, he thought maybe the "#MeToo" movement has turned into "#MeCarthyism," a throwback to the 1950s, where just the accusation of being a Communist was enough to ruin a career.

If only Edward R. Murrow was still around. I wonder what he'd have to say, beyond "Good Night & Good Luck?"

Last edited by RadioActive (January 25, 2018 7:03 pm)

January 25, 2018 3:55 pm  #7

RadioActive wrote:

For people exhausted with14 years of Liberal corruption and incompetence, it's too bad Patrick Brown was unable to show the same thing

If only he'd paid closer attention to the sex ed curriculum. 

https://www.thebeaverton.com/2018/01/report-patrick-brown-regrets-not-paid-attention-ontarios-new-sex-ed-curriculum-consent/

January 25, 2018 4:09 pm  #8

I'm with you RadioActive.  This is very scary time.  All that has to happen is that someone says you Allegedly did something wrong.  Just as accusation screws up your life.  Let's repeat the word.  Allegedly.  Woman doesn't have to come forward or be identified.   Man's career and life is over.  Sorry I still believe in proof of guilt; before lives are ruined.  If a man is proved to be guilty, fine.  Whatever happened to everyone deserves their day in court.  The pendulum has swung too far the other way.

January 25, 2018 5:42 pm  #9

Drex on his new national overnight talk show did a great job on the Patrick Brown scandal between 1am and 1:30am. Especially liked how he read Brown's resignation letter live on air as soon as it was released.

This was probably a first for the three Ontario affiliates, including AM640. Normally at 1:30am the stations were in syndicated U.S. programming. But three days after the Shift With Drex launched, it was probably the only radio show live in Ontario where the host read Brown's resignation letter and took calls at 1am. 

Drex did exactly what he promised on his first show and in my On The Kowch blog profile of the host. If you were sleeping like me and missed it ... go to his website  and listen to the audio.

Last edited by kowchmedia (January 25, 2018 5:44 pm)

January 25, 2018 6:00 pm  #10

Credit where credit's due! As much as I'm a critical opponent of 640, I applaud them for being live at this time and covering this topic.  I must admit, I haven't yet formed an opinion of his show, but I sincerely welcome it.  From where I am, the Tx pattern degradados overnight, so listening is a bit of a challenge.  BUT... 640 is now my new go-to station overnight!  I simply cannot stand C2C and their moronic seriousness of the absurd.  Well done, 640! 

January 25, 2018 11:41 pm  #11

AMFM wrote:

I'm with you RadioActive.  This is very scary time.  All that has to happen is that someone says you Allegedly did something wrong.  Just as accusation screws up your life.  Let's repeat the word.  Allegedly.  Woman doesn't have to come forward or be identified.   Man's career and life is over.  Sorry I still believe in proof of guilt; before lives are ruined.  If a man is proved to be guilty, fine.  Whatever happened to everyone deserves their day in court.  The pendulum has swung too far the other way.

Credit where credit is due, a woman has voiced the same concerns:

http://nationalpost.com/opinion/christie-blatchford-what-happened-to-brown-is-fundamentally-wrong-every-man-in-the-world-is-now-vulnerable

January 26, 2018 10:07 am  #12

Not just any woman. Christie Blatchford, one of the best journalists in Toronto. She nailed it as usual. The media has to be more accountable and if anyone is going to be quoted, they can't be anonymous. I think there was a time when what happened to Brown would be considered slanderous. Now anyone is a target.

January 26, 2018 10:31 am  #13

And now another woman, Rosie DiManno, speaks up against the lynching of Brown:

https://www.thestar.com/opinion/star-columnists/2018/01/25/patrick-browns-downfall-an-affront-to-fairness.html

While I'm no fan of Patrick Brown, I am glad to see there is a call for sanity by women in the media as well; the thought of men everywhere quaking in fear - even those who are pathetically and stupidly preying on young girls hoping to score a quick one-night stand, should be worrisome. Perhaps a new hashtag, #me_next? will find its way to social media soon.

January 27, 2018 9:38 am  #14

Does the media consider the possibility of eventual repercussions and pushback when reporting all of these allegations.

I seem to recall one teacher who committed suicide after being accused of alleged sexual harrassment, only to be cleared of any wrongdoing, sadly too late. Marc Lepine and the Montreal massacre comes to mind as well. I do realize severe mental illness does not need a trigger to act out.

In the last few weeks, the public discussion has begun to include calling out the enablers, and people who knew and said and did nothing, and what their part in all this is.

I'd bet money a few people are now socking away funds, just in case their past behaviour comes to light.

Last edited by betaylored (January 27, 2018 10:37 am)

January 27, 2018 11:13 am  #15

betaylored wrote:

a few people are now socking away funds, just in case their past behavior comes to light.

. . . or considering a move to argentina

January 27, 2018 12:27 pm  #16

Does the media consider the possibility of eventual repercussions and pushback when reporting all of these allegations.

I seem to recall one teacher who committed suicide after being accused of alleged sexual harrassment, only to be cleared of any wrongdoing, sadly too late.

That unfortunately is how far things must go (to the extreme, when an innocent man's life will be so destroyed that he commits suicide believing he will always be tainted by the false accusation and has no hope to salvage his reputation) before the movement will finally calm down. There is a sense that this is becoming the equivalent to both a Salem witch trial and a stock market bubble (where the masses are all steering it in one singular direction without any restraint, in the pursuit of social justice for all womankind).

The biggest problem I think is that studies have shown men *overwhelmingly* have a tendency to misinterpret a woman's body language and innocent friendliness as sexual interest. From that, men then make the Grand Canyon-wide leap to assuming that if a woman agrees to go somewhere isolated with them, then they must be implicitly agreeing to having a quick-and-dirty tryst... and that there's no need to verbally confirm the man's wishful thinking, they can simply just start sticking tongues down throats at will.

I tried to view the Paul Bliss scandal from what could've been his perspective, and see how he misinterprets Bridget Brown's gratitude and attempt to connect with him to further her career as an opening move to "get together". He could also misinterpret some of their conversation during his tour of CTV as flirtation. Once the blood starts flowing to the nether regions, men are basically viewing just about everything the woman is saying or doing as a "take me, take me right now!" invitation.

There is a lesson for males to learn from all of this. Before making any overt sexual move that can later destroy your life and career, simply openly verify with the other person that they want it to happen. It may not be as sexually exciting as immediately dropping your pants and humping away, but at least it would offer some form of defense down the road that you obtained verbal consent. If the events of Ms Brown's story are totally complete and no details have been omitted, then Mr Bliss may have just assumed she wanted his advances, and you cannot use "I just assumed she wanted it!" as a defense in the court of public opinion.

January 27, 2018 2:34 pm  #17

Oh I agree. Getting it in writing or on video would be ideal (but how many men would even go that far, or would a woman agree to it).

It is a sign of the times that on Global News on Jan 12th 2018, they even did a story about a new app designed for one-night stands/spontaneous trysts. It gets both parties to make an official formal agreement as to what sex acts they are consenting to and that they are both having sex of their own free will. Here it is, for those forum members who no longer feel safe to hit on random women:

https://globalnews.ca/news/3962289/contracts-consenting-sexual-encounters-app/

January 27, 2018 3:26 pm  #18

Oh, sorry, where did radio-related discussion go? Did this board rebrand as a political pedestal? 🤫🤔

January 27, 2018 4:47 pm  #19

U.N.-run death camps are being prepared now with the help of OCAP and Kathleen Wynne. Did I say death camps? I meant happy camps... 

January 27, 2018 4:50 pm  #20

FML

Madness takes its toll.  Please have exact change.

January 29, 2018 4:04 am  #21

Jonny wrote:

betaylored wrote:

a few people are now socking away funds, just in case their past behavior comes to light.

. . . or considering a move to argentina

After the developments with the "not so PC" PC party this weekend, it may be a good idea for certain individuals to move to Argentina...or perhaps the Island of Misfit Boys.

February 9, 2018 8:58 pm  #22

TomTV wrote:

That unfortunately is how far things must go (to the extreme, when an innocent man's life will be so destroyed that he commits suicide believing he will always be tainted by the false accusation and has no hope to salvage his reputation) before the movement will finally calm down. There is a sense that this is becoming the equivalent to both a Salem witch trial and a stock market bubble (where the masses are all steering it in one singular direction without any restraint, in the pursuit of social justice for all womankind).

Well just to follow up on my own prediction, someone has committed suicide due to the #MeToo movement, and life once again proves that you can't always foresee everything. It's a woman, not a man, who has died because of Rose McGowan's accusations against Weinstein.

https://globalnews.ca/news/4015828/rose-mcgowan-harvey-weinstein-jill-messick-suicide/

Sympathies to Jill Messick's loved ones. If someone is suffering from depression, the last thing I'm sure they'd need is to be put in the spotlight by two warring parties.