sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum


You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

October 8, 2026 3:36 pm  #1


6 newspapers in Northern Ontario going Digital only

A guess its a sign of the times, but 6 newspapers in Northern Ontario will no longer have a print addition. Because I get almost all of my news on my cell phone, this is really not a surprise,  but still a sad day for local news.


https://www.ctvnews.ca/northern-ontario/article/northern-ont-newspapers-to-end-print-editions-go-fully-digital/

 

October 8, 2026 3:53 pm  #2


Re: 6 newspapers in Northern Ontario going Digital only

We spend our winters in Florida. I always read the Tampa Bay Times. In 2020, during the Covid pandemic, they went from a seven day publication to a twice a week publication. Wednesday and Sunday..

At home, I read The Globe & Mail. Ihope it doesn't  go away.


After all is said and done, more is usually said than done.
 

Yesterday 11:06 am  #3


Re: 6 newspapers in Northern Ontario going Digital only

It is sad that future generations will miss the gratifying experience of sitting down at a table with a fresh cup of coffee and a broadsheet newspaper. No pop ups or banner ads.

I pay for a superscription to the local paper and read it on my laptop but the experience is not the same. Reading it on tablet device is even less satisfying. 

The same goes for magazines. Hardly any in hard copy today. 

Last edited by darcyh (Yesterday 11:06 am)

 

Yesterday 11:09 am  #4


Re: 6 newspapers in Northern Ontario going Digital only

darcyh wrote:

It is sad that future generations will miss the gratifying experience of sitting down at a table with a fresh cup of coffee and a broadsheet newspaper. No pop ups or banner ads.

I pay for a superscription to the local paper and read it on my laptop but the experience is not the same. Reading it on tablet device is even less satisfying. 

The same goes for magazines. Hardly any in hard copy today. 

I have an e-reader and barely use it anymore, other than when traveling. Even with the unlit, ink-like display it's not quite the same as a book.
 

 

Yesterday 11:12 am  #5


Re: 6 newspapers in Northern Ontario going Digital only

turkeytop wrote:

At home, I read The Globe & Mail. Ihope it doesn't  go away.

From what I understand, they've got advertising down to just 15% of their revenue (that's a good thing) and have solid subscription numbers. 30% of subscribers opt to get a paper copy, so I don't see them ending that any time soon.

 

Today 5:06 am  #6


Re: 6 newspapers in Northern Ontario going Digital only

Dicky Doo wrote:

turkeytop wrote:

We spend our winters in Florida. I always read the Tampa Bay Times. In 2020, during the Covid pandemic, they went from a seven day publication to a twice a week publication. Wednesday and Sunday.

At home, I read The Globe & Mail. Ihope it doesn't  go away.

This just in; storm surge in Florida is running to nine feet.    it is rumoured that they will put the paper on hold until the mess can be cleaned up
That is almost as high as a one story building.


D.D. 
 

 

 

Today 7:37 am  #7


Re: 6 newspapers in Northern Ontario going Digital only

RadioAaron wrote:

turkeytop wrote:

At home, I read The Globe & Mail. Ihope it doesn't  go away.

From what I understand, they've got advertising down to just 15% of their revenue (that's a good thing) and have solid subscription numbers. 30% of subscribers opt to get a paper copy, so I don't see them ending that any time soon.

 
I subscribe to The Globe & Mail and throughly enjoy my morning read with coffee, much like darcyh mentioned. However, the GAM has been jacking up their rates about twice a year, last month being the most recent. I did the math and it’s closing in on $2K a year, which is a lot. Giving this one some thought! (I initially subscribed to The GAM back in the 80s because they carried The Far Side!).

 

Today 9:16 am  #8


Re: 6 newspapers in Northern Ontario going Digital only

The Sudbury Star is one of the Northern Ontario newspaper ceasing print operation this month. I get a condensed  online version sent to my email free daily. I wonder now if they will try to charge for it. Their local political reporter has been doing hit stories to discredit the mayoral candidates running against the incumbent mayor, and deletes any negative comments made against said incumbent which I find really irritating. He has deleted at least 5 of my attempted posts so far where I said I felt some new blood at city hall would be a positive thing. The incumbent mayor is a former Liberal member of parliament who served one term before leaving federal politics to run for mayor here four years ago. His biggest competition is a woman who the reporter has been really trying to pile up the dirt on. I hope she cleans up in the election.