sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

January 19, 2018 2:11 pm  #1

It’s Not Just Bell - Rogers Accused Of Outrageous Sales Tactics

You may remember a few months ago when the CBC posted a huge story alleging Bell was forcing the workers at its call centres to use high pressure tactics to sell customers services they don’t need. Among the more egregious examples cited was the case of a 90-year-old blind woman who was talked into purchasing an Internet package, despite the fact she could never use it.

Well, now the Corp. is at it again and imagine your surprise - it’s not just Bell that appears to be making what could be termed less than honourable pitches to its subscribers. In an eye-opening article published this week, it’s Rogers turn in the spotlight. And it doesn’t make them look any better.

Sources who work at Ted’s Big Red Machine say there is so much pressure for call centre workers to sell customers anything and everything that many are having near nervous breakdowns.

From the article: “[One employee] admits when he is "desperate" to earn sales points, he signs up seniors for internet service, and then tells them a technician is going to come to their house "to install a modem for their TV" — modems are required for internet, not TV.

"We're giving internet service to customers who actually do not have a computer," he says…"It feels really bad," he says. "But you have all this pressure on you. All your managers are around you, telling you to sell, sell, sell."

Another worker, Jessica Robinson, recently quit in disgust. She outlines the kinds of things she was made to do. “When I had my interview ... they actually asked me 'If an elderly lady calls in to cancel her sports package on her TV because her husband just died, are you going to convince her to keep it and add more?'" says Robinson.”

For its part, Rogers denies all the charges, insisting when these kinds of things are brought to their attention, they take immediate steps to stop it, they have no tolerance for such things and stress customer service, blah, blah, blah.

But then how do you explain this equally damning follow-up piece, which outlines even more outrageous abuses of both employees and customers? (One former manager admits those workers who can't keep up are quickly fired.)

If you’re a Rogers client – and it’s stories like these that ensure I will never be one – these are two articles you must read. I hope the CRTC will actually look into these “good corporate citizens” and their supposed practices. But like trying to get a good deal from either of the Big Two, I’m not holding my breath.

Rogers employees say managers turn a blind eye so call centre workers can lie and cheat customers

More Rogers employees come forward, revealing how they say they're coached to upsell you

January 19, 2018 6:07 pm  #2

Re: It’s Not Just Bell - Rogers Accused Of Outrageous Sales Tactics

How many of these retention call centres are actually operated by the Telecos and not outsourced to someone else?

January 19, 2018 8:57 pm  #3

Retaw wrote:

How many of these retention call centres are actually operated by the Telecos and not outsourced to someone else?

Regrettably, 'inside baseball' questions here will likely be met with dead air unless the events are over three decades old.

January 19, 2018 10:32 pm  #4

Retaw wrote:

Retention is almost always in-house. 3rd parties are used primarily for run-of-the-mill customer service calls - billing/ balance inquiries, routine account changes, etc. If anything more complicated comes up the call will be transferred to in-house Customer Service or Repair. Retention is a tier up from Customer Care and customers cannot usually reach them directly but must be transferred in from Customer Care.