Offline
It appears National Truth and Reconciliation Day gave Bill Carroll the day off on CFRB. Instead, listeners got guest host Sue Smith fronting a show about the special day from CJAD Montreal on the Elias Makos Show. She made it clear right off the top they were on the network by welcoming listeners across the country.
Interesting that when she threw to the first break, she said, "This is an iHeart radio station," and nothing more.
This is certainly a one-off, but it was the last thing I was expecting while waiting to hear Bill Carroll. I'm assuming he'll be back on Thursday.
Offline
So it turns out the Indigenous special was only one segment. The rest was the usual discussion of stories in the news. Was Carroll off on Wednesday? Why would they alter expected programming across the country like this?
Offline
Granted that this is a Federal holiday, maybe Bell chose to give their staff a day off federally, not provincially.
Offline
No Deb Hutton in for Jerry Agar, either. Instead, she's doing a single hour from 3-4 PM, while an hourlong Truth and Reconciliation special airs at her regular start time of 2 PM instead.
Offline
Radiowiz wrote:
Granted that this is a Federal holiday, maybe Bell chose to give their staff a day off federally, not provincially.
You could be right. I noticed there was no CTV Toronto News at Noon, like there usually is. CP24 filled the hour on its own in lieu of the usual simulcast.
Offline
It's a federal holiday. They give those they can the day off, and the remaining staff keeping the lights on get a day in lieu.
Offline
RadioAaron wrote:
It's a federal holiday. They give those they can the day off, and the remaining staff keeping the lights on get a day in lieu.
Yes, I know it's a federal stat, although I'm willing to bet the vast majority of government employees aren't going to any of the events marking the day.
I never got almost any of the stats off in most of my broadcasting positions. The feeling was "the show must go on."
And it did - with just about all of the regular crew in attendance.
Offline
I know if I was a Federal employee, I certainly wouldn't be attending any of the scheduled events. Just another paid holiday for me to do my own thing.
Offline
mace wrote:
I know if I was a Federal employee, I certainly wouldn't be attending any of the scheduled events. Just another paid holiday for me to do my own thing.
Annual mandated guilt-fest that does absolutely nothing toward any 'reconciliation', whatever that is.