sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum


You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

September 23, 2026 10:59 am  #1


The last big event for CKNX

This week is the final event celebrating 100 years CKNX Radio in Wingham. They are a sponsor of the International Plowing Match near Walkerton. As I have said in other posts this is a big deal for small town Ontario.
They have 2 streets and a tent named after them.

Also the Transmitter tower for both FM stations, and what was the TV station is just a short drive from here.

https://www.plowingmatch.org/ipm2026/

 

September 23, 2026 11:32 am  #2


Re: The last big event for CKNX

That plowing match has become a big political deal. Every major Ontario party leader and politician goes to it every single year, without fail. It's amazing what a huge thing it is and how no one ever misses it without a very good reason. Not sure how that happened, but even though it's a long way from Queen's Park, it's a magnet for them. 

 

September 23, 2026 12:34 pm  #3


Re: The last big event for CKNX

The Plowing Match is sort of like the Calgary Stampede and it's importance for federal leaders.  It's an event that Ontario's leaders want to be seen at and take part in.  This has been going on for decades. I don't know if this is true, but it could also be that election turnouts often are higher in rural ridings.

CKNX has covered the Plowing Match over the years whenever it landed in either Huron, Grey, Bruce, Perth, Dufferin or Wellington counties.  They would have news coverage and/or sponsored live reports.  I am sure the coverage is thinner today, but nice to see they are still involved.  When CKNX TV was operating they also would report from this big event.  Since it is in nearby Walkerton, both CTV Kitchener and London have been promoting this event on their newscasts. 

Last edited by paterson1 (September 23, 2026 12:36 pm)

 

September 23, 2026 8:09 pm  #4


Re: The last big event for CKNX

I'm not a farmer but I've always enjoyed attending the plowing match. Regrettably, the arthritis in my hips now makes it difficult for me to walk around.


After all is said and done, more is usually said than done.
 

September 24, 2026 5:58 am  #5


Re: The last big event for CKNX

The plowing match was held in Essa Township near the village of Thornton in the mid 90's. My then wife was related to the property owners where it was held. We went on the Saturday. I was actually surprised by how large the event was, the number of vendors and spectators. I have to admit, as a verified non country boy, I had a great time. 

 

Yesterday 7:14 am  #6


Re: The last big event for CKNX

Well that was a big disappointment,  let me explain.
On the drive up (On Saturday) and turned on AM 920. They did have pre recorded stuff about the IPM, but nothing live. It was nice to heard the Noon news and Farm Report along with the Funeral Announcements. This was a trip down memory lane for me and nice to hear.

But what I saw at the IPM was disappointing. CKNX did not have very much. I guess I was expecting a small museum, or a mock radio studio, maybe some staff or former staff from the station available to talk and promote the station.
What I found was the station was the sponsor of the Beer Tent and a small lean-to outside the tent. They had banners for the 3 radio stations inside, and in the corner a few posters and small screen showing photos. ( sorry I dont know how to post photos on here or I would.)

In all fairness to Blackburn Media they don't have very many staff left to properly promote what they have.

I think out of respect to CKNX other radio stations from the area were not there, and this is why I expected more.

Well, thats my rant, they say you can never go back, I guess that includes radio to.

     •Thread Starter
 

Yesterday 9:27 am  #7


Re: The last big event for CKNX

Aytononline wrote:

Well that was a big disappointment, let me explain.
On the drive up (On Saturday) and turned on AM 920. They did have pre recorded stuff about the IPM, but nothing live. It was nice to heard the Noon news and Farm Report along with the Funeral Announcements. This was a trip down memory lane for me and nice to hear.

But what I saw at the IPM was disappointing. CKNX did not have very much. I guess I was expecting a small museum, or a mock radio studio, maybe some staff or former staff from the station available to talk and promote the station.
What I found was the station was the sponsor of the Beer Tent and a small lean-to outside the tent. They had banners for the 3 radio stations inside, and in the corner a few posters and small screen showing photos. ( sorry I dont know how to post photos on here or I would.)

In all fairness to Blackburn Media they don't have very many staff left to properly promote what they have.

I think out of respect to CKNX other radio stations from the area were not there, and this is why I expected more.

Well, thats my rant, they say you can never go back, I guess that includes radio to.

The IPM is essentially a trade show for farmers (tractors & etc.), not a venue for radio broadcasters to celebrate the good ol' days when death notices were read at noon.  


D.D.

 

Yesterday 2:40 pm  #8


Re: The last big event for CKNX

Dicky Doo wrote:

The IPM is essentially a trade show for farmers (tractors & etc.), not a venue for radio broadcasters to celebrate the good ol' days when death notices were read at noon.  
D.D.

You would obviously have little interest in the excruciatingly detailed menus for community suppers as reported every half hour or so on 1240 WJMC in Rice Lake Wisconsin. So I won't implore you to tune in to hear about the meat loaf with gravy and mashed potatoes, tomato juice, soft rolls, and fruit cocktail. In between classic hits from the likes of Abba and Simon and Garfunkel, and a roll call of the just-deceased that would surely exhaust St. Peter.

 

Yesterday 9:20 pm  #9


Re: The last big event for CKNX

The first IPM I ever attended was in 1976 near Walkerton, maybe on the same farm. CKNX was there and promoting CKNX FM that was set to start up the following spring on 101.7.


After all is said and done, more is usually said than done.
 

Yesterday 10:38 pm  #10


Re: The last big event for CKNX

CKNX had an open house mid June to celebrate the 100th anniversary of CKNX AM.  This was open to the public and free. They had hundreds of photos and  old equipment set up.  Staff were there to answer questions and take groups to the radio studios, engineering area and the TV studio where displays were set up.  So I don't think it was necessary and not feasible to do it all again at the Plowing Match.  

 

Today 3:33 pm  #11


Re: The last big event for CKNX

Some crazy American even drove four hours to check out the CKNX open house (and I am glad I did!)