sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum


You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

September 15, 2026 8:59 am  #1


Bryan Adams Claims Some Radio Stns. Refusing To Play His New Song

The singer was on AM640 Tuesday, and the subject of his new record, "51st State," came up. You can probably tell from the name it's a protest song against the craziness about Canada joining the United States, a favourite meme from the current White House. 

He says he can't understand why there would be reluctance by some Canadian radio stations to play it, with them claiming it could upset some listeners. But it's pretty obvious most listeners who live here support his position. And he says he asked his management for a list of the stations that vetoed the tune, but they refused to provide any call letters. 

It's been a while since I've heard of any song, especially CanCon, being boycotted by a Canadian radio station. We may never know who said no, but I hope it's none of the stations here that might otherwise put Bryan Adams on their playlists. 

 

September 15, 2026 9:27 am  #2


Re: Bryan Adams Claims Some Radio Stns. Refusing To Play His New Song

Nobody's "boycotting" or "vetoing" it. They're not playing it because it's terrible cheese. Some artists whose best songwriting days have long past don't know when to stop.

On the plus side, it'll give fans a great opportunity to grab a beer during his otherwise excellent live shows.

 

September 15, 2026 9:38 am  #3


Re: Bryan Adams Claims Some Radio Stns. Refusing To Play His New Song

exactly 

 

September 15, 2026 9:39 am  #4


Re: Bryan Adams Claims Some Radio Stns. Refusing To Play His New Song

It's a fair comment, although Adams is convinced it's more political than musical.

     •Thread Starter
 

September 15, 2026 10:13 am  #5


Re: Bryan Adams Claims Some Radio Stns. Refusing To Play His New Song

It's not that the song is that bad and will 'upset some listeners' it's a patriotic anthem that is upsetting the MapleMAGA idiots, cloud yellers, Fuck Carney traitors and those that manage/own the media properties that could play the song...I think Adams has a point here considering today's political landscape in various parts of Canada and the continent.

 

September 15, 2026 10:35 am  #6


Re: Bryan Adams Claims Some Radio Stns. Refusing To Play His New Song

Who would play it? Classic Hits and Classic Rock stations don't play new music from classic rock artists; it's not what listeners are there for. Top 40 listeners don't know who he is. The song is cringe.

 

September 15, 2026 10:52 am  #7


Re: Bryan Adams Claims Some Radio Stns. Refusing To Play His New Song

I've been boycotting Adams for years and for political reasons. We in the labour movement call hin "Scab Adams" for his record of crossing picket lines to perform.


After all is said and done, more is usually said than done.
 

September 15, 2026 11:09 am  #8


Re: Bryan Adams Claims Some Radio Stns. Refusing To Play His New Song

RadioAaron wrote:

Who would play it? Classic Hits and Classic Rock stations don't play new music from classic rock artists; it's not what listeners are there for. Top 40 listeners don't know who he is. The song is cringe.

Is country radio playing the song?  I know it is not a country song per se but country stations tend to play music that  lyrically tell a story.  And country stations certainly have opened up to some music that doesn't have a traditional country sound.  

 

September 15, 2026 11:13 am  #9


Re: Bryan Adams Claims Some Radio Stns. Refusing To Play His New Song

paterson1 wrote:

RadioAaron wrote:

Who would play it? Classic Hits and Classic Rock stations don't play new music from classic rock artists; it's not what listeners are there for. Top 40 listeners don't know who he is. The song is cringe.

Is country radio playing the song?  I know it is not a country song per se but country stations tend to play music that  lyrically tell a story.  And country stations certainly have opened up to some music that doesn't have a traditional country sound.  

Fair question, but no.

 

September 15, 2026 5:30 pm  #10


Re: Bryan Adams Claims Some Radio Stns. Refusing To Play His New Song

paterson1 wrote:

RadioAaron wrote:

Who would play it? Classic Hits and Classic Rock stations don't play new music from classic rock artists; it's not what listeners are there for. Top 40 listeners don't know who he is. The song is cringe.

Is country radio playing the song?  I know it is not a country song per se but country stations tend to play music that  lyrically tell a story.  And country stations certainly have opened up to some music that doesn't have a traditional country sound.  

Not a bad idea. Add a slide guitar in there and it's country through and through. 

 

September 16, 2026 7:43 am  #11


Re: Bryan Adams Claims Some Radio Stns. Refusing To Play His New Song

I have only heard this song once, AM740 played it when it was first released. Since then, I haven’t heard them play it again. To be honest, not Adams’ best writing but I get his sentiment. I’m waiting for his next one about Lake Ontario….!

Last edited by Shorty Wave (September 16, 2026 7:44 am)

 

September 16, 2026 7:44 am  #12


Re: Bryan Adams Claims Some Radio Stns. Refusing To Play His New Song

I don't like the song at all, but nobody asked my opinion

 

September 16, 2026 8:16 am  #13


Re: Bryan Adams Claims Some Radio Stns. Refusing To Play His New Song

jughead jones wrote:

I don't like the song at all, but nobody asked my opinion

 
And that’s the beauty of being on a board such as SOWNY, you don’t need to be asked for your opinion to give it! That’s what it’s here for, so opine away jughead!

 

September 16, 2026 8:30 am  #14


Re: Bryan Adams Claims Some Radio Stns. Refusing To Play His New Song

I listened to the song online this morning and I actually thought it was ok. As the kids would say On AB's Rate-A-Record feature. "It has a good beat and you can dance to it" Just my two cents worth. 

 

September 16, 2026 5:01 pm  #15


Re: Bryan Adams Claims Some Radio Stns. Refusing To Play His New Song

His song isnt "Chum FM" worthy as its rock, and its not "classic" to be played on eitheir Q107 or Boom. So theres that. 

Last edited by markow202 (September 16, 2026 5:01 pm)

 

September 16, 2026 5:48 pm  #16


Re: Bryan Adams Claims Some Radio Stns. Refusing To Play His New Song

"Hi my name is Chrisphen and...sheesh. This is tough. I...I liked 'Into the Fire'."

 

September 16, 2026 7:02 pm  #17


Re: Bryan Adams Claims Some Radio Stns. Refusing To Play His New Song

Chrisphen wrote:

"Hi my name is Chrisphen and...sheesh. This is tough. I...I liked 'Into the Fire'."

Underrated album