Offline
A new study on just about every model and make of automobile indicates just where each vehicle ranks with its visual display, whether it comes with HD Radio and other listening options.
It's from QuuReport.com, which maintains car radios have to be increasingly visual to keep up with the move to more screens in more places.
How did your car do? A lot depends on what year model you're driving, but for recent cars, the list is long and detailed. Check out the data here.
Offline
None of my vehicles have a dash screen. 2016 Kia Sorento, 2010 Chevrolet Malibu and 1994 Ford F150. All are just touch buttons. I like it that way.
Offline
mic'em wrote:
None of my vehicles have a dash screen. 2016 Kia Sorento, 2010 Chevrolet Malibu and 1994 Ford F150. All are just touch buttons. I like it that way.
I envy you. I really miss my old easy-to-operate radio, without a screen and a scrolling list to contend with while driving. Still can't figure out who thought it was a good idea to put a distracting screen in a car. What could possibly go wrong?
Offline
I drive a Honda which is old school and not a screen in sight, just buttons, which I like, but it does have a CD player with the radio and I find I still use it from time to time. Our KIA on the other hand has a screen I find distracting even when I’m not the driver, it is really too large for me!
Offline
I looked up the 2026 Toyota Camry. It has all the bells and whistles an "entertainment system" is expected to have. I plan on keeping 2006 Camry for a few more years with its simple six AM and twelve FM presets. It just reached 115,000 km.
Offline
I read the survey and question its accuracy. In my 2021 Tesla Model 3 I have seen album art on the screen for some hd stations. Does anyone know of stations in the GTA market that transmit album art on a regular basis? I also receive station "PS" data though it seems that some GTA stations on HD don't bother to transmit accurate information or logos in HD. Case in point Durham's CJKX - just has CJKX 2 and CJKX 3 - same with CHKX. They don't bother to list the formats/names of the subs. Bell's CKFM transmits logo art and station data for its HD2, 3 and 4 services. Same for Kiss 92.5 - Rogers' sports and 680 logos come up on my screen. Overall the dash unit does. a very good job of identifying and listing "off air" FM stations, and the HD subs. There have been dozens of revisions to the software since I bought the car in March 2021, so there have been many improvements to the screen display. I've rented a few cars in the last year, while mine was in the body shop or while on vacation. I was not impressed with the Genesis GV70 or the Hyndai Ionic 5 EV screen displays. The hyundai has amongst the worst user interfaces for AM/FM as well as satellite and bluetooth. A horrible driving experience in terms of the entertainment system. The Genesis sound system was quite good. The Ionic 5 entertainment. system experience was a "why bother" reaction. It was as if they wanted to bury AM/FM.
Last edited by tvguy (April 14, 2026 11:28 am)
Offline
Not all tactile interfaces are equal. Remember the Blaupunkt radios that were factory radios in Porsches? Godawful. The most common Porsche mod was replacing those with a radio that didn't suck.
I now drive a newer Honda and the infotainment is tolerable. Negative points for no CD player, no analog audio in, and dreadful AM sound quality.
Offline
tvguy wrote:
I read the survey and question its accuracy. In my 2021 Tesla Model 3 I have seen album art on the screen for some hd stations. Does anyone know of stations in the GTA market that transmit album art on a regular basis? I also receive station "PS" data though it seems that some GTA stations on HD don't bother to transmit accurate information or logos in HD. Case in point Durham's CJKX - just has CJKX 2 and CJKX 3 - same with CHKX. They don't bother to list the formats/names of the subs. Bell's CKFM transmits logo art and station data for its HD2, 3 and 4 services. Same for Kiss 92.5 - Rogers' sports and 680 logos come up on my screen. Overall the dash unit does. a very good job of identifying and listing "off air" FM stations, and the HD subs. There have been dozens of revisions to the software since I bought the car in March 2021, so there have been many improvements to the screen display. I've rented a few cars in the last year, while mine was in the body shop or while on vacation. I was not impressed with the Genesis GV70 or the Hyndai Ionic 5 EV screen displays. The hyundai has amongst the worst user interfaces for AM/FM as well as satellite and bluetooth. A horrible driving experience in terms of the entertainment system. The Genesis sound system was quite good. The Ionic 5 entertainment. system experience was a "why bother" reaction. It was as if they wanted to bury AM/FM.
If you drive to St. Catharines or Niagara Falls where the Buffalo FM's are much clearer, you could find out if it is only the Canadian broadcasters that don't enter the detailed HD information that you would like to have. Many U.S. stations give the HD info as part of their legal ID's. They may input all the extra info for your vehicle as well.
Offline
I have been surprised that my new car actually has a good AM tuner. Much better than my previous car (both Hyundai Tucson). All of the Toronto stations are much clearer and fuller sound than the other vehicle, and I draw in more stations than before. I can listen to WJR Detroit daytime where it was not available before. FM is better as well. I can regularly receive KISS FM Toronto in Kitchener and rarely did before.