Offline
I don't know if this applies to the Canadian networks, but it could - the return to earth of the Artemis II is scheduled right around the start of primetime Friday night, and there will be delays on the U.S. channels that hopefully won't be longer than half an hour.
That's if all goes well. If there are any glitches, all bets are off.
I know the CTV and CBC News networks will go whole hog on the re-entry, but it will be interesting to see if their broadcast channels will also interrupt, given that a Canuck is on board.
Luckily, Friday night is a virtual wasteland for broadcast shows these days, so there's not much to miss. But what is scheduled is likely to be delayed at least half an hour, so leave extra time on your DVR.
CBS has already confirmed its plans for the night.
Offline
I am more interested in how this will affect the local news shows from Winnipeg to Vancover. Will they air the National show or just show just show some live video but continue with there own show.
Offline
None of the Canadian stations veered from regular programming to cover the re-entry (and neither did WUTV.) All the other U.S. networks went with live minute-by-minute updates as the craft approached Earth.
Offline
RadioActive wrote:
None of the Canadian stations veered from regular programming to cover the re-entry (and neither did WUTV.) All the other U.S. networks went with live minute-by-minute updates as the craft approached Earth.
Yes TV ran a sim sub on CBS with Jeopardy for the first 5 (or so) minutes.
Offline
BBC covered it. Euronews, DW and Al Jazeera did not, at least when I was channnel surfing.
Offline
RadioActive wrote:
None of the Canadian stations veered from regular programming to cover the re-entry (and neither did WUTV.) All the other U.S. networks went with live minute-by-minute updates as the craft approached Earth.
I was a bit surprised that none of the Canadian news channels covered this. I ended up watching the re-entry on CNN and BBC, which basically had the same thing. I was actually a bit excited about the event, hasn’t been much of this lately!
Offline
Shorty Wave wrote:
RadioActive wrote:
None of the Canadian stations veered from regular programming to cover the re-entry (and neither did WUTV.) All the other U.S. networks went with live minute-by-minute updates as the craft approached Earth.
I was a bit surprised that none of the Canadian news channels covered this. I ended up watching the re-entry on CNN and BBC, which basically had the same thing. I was actually a bit excited about the event, hasn’t been much of this lately!
Rogers channel 100 covered it, didn't they???
Offline
Shorty Wave wrote:
RadioActive wrote:
None of the Canadian stations veered from regular programming to cover the re-entry (and neither did WUTV.) All the other U.S. networks went with live minute-by-minute updates as the craft approached Earth.
I was a bit surprised that none of the Canadian news channels covered this. I ended up watching the re-entry on CNN and BBC, which basically had the same thing. I was actually a bit excited about the event, hasn’t been much of this lately!
???..All of the Canadian news channels covered the return and re-entry of Artemis II. CBCNN, CTV News Channel and CP24 all had extensive coverage. The CTV and CBC broadcast networks didn't have live coverage which really wasn't surprising.
Offline
paterson1 wrote:
Shorty Wave wrote:
RadioActive wrote:
None of the Canadian stations veered from regular programming to cover the re-entry (and neither did WUTV.) All the other U.S. networks went with live minute-by-minute updates as the craft approached Earth.
I was a bit surprised that none of the Canadian news channels covered this. I ended up watching the re-entry on CNN and BBC, which basically had the same thing. I was actually a bit excited about the event, hasn’t been much of this lately!???..All of the Canadian news channels covered the return and re-entry of Artemis II. CBCNN, CTV News Channel and CP24 all had extensive coverage. The CTV and CBC broadcast networks didn't have live coverage which really wasn't surprising.
I flipped around twice and didn’t see it, maybe I was too early? Didn’t check CP24 though.
Offline
To be fair, if you re-read the original post, you'll see I plainly indicated that the cable news networks in Canada would all cover it. I just wondered if, because of the Canadian being onboard, the over-the-air broadcasters would cut in with specials. None of them did.
Offline
Oh, and speaking of primetime delays, it's almost a sure bet the programming on CBS won't begin on time Sunday.
The Masters is coming to an end, but of course, not on time. You can be all but certain that it won't end for 60 Minutes to start at 7 PM as scheduled, delaying all the shows - Marshals, Tracker and Watson - that follow.
If you're watching or DVRing them off Canadians stations, it likely won't be an issue.
Offline
RadioActive wrote:
If you're watching or DVRing them off Canadians stations, it likely won't be an issue.
Global never airs content when CBS isn't airing the same program.
They wait, airing filler content until such time where they can air the same programming as CBS and get a FULL uninterrupted SIM SUB in.
Offline
Radiowiz wrote:
RadioActive wrote:
If you're watching or DVRing them off Canadians stations, it likely won't be an issue.
Global never airs content when CBS isn't airing the same program.
They wait, airing filler content until such time where they can air the same programming as CBS and get a FULL uninterrupted SIM SUB in.
Not as much lately. 60 minutes specifically has run on time while delayed on CBS.
Offline
I'm aware of how precious simsub is for Canadian stations, especially in the country's biggest market, but airing an episode of "Border Security" and then cutting it off halfway through has to be worse for viewers than simply abdicating the simultaneous substitution for the night. If you're already on Global, you might as well start the show on time or it will encourage viewers to go elsewhere.
Chances are good you may not get them back.
Offline
RadioAaron wrote:
Radiowiz wrote:
RadioActive wrote:
If you're watching or DVRing them off Canadians stations, it likely won't be an issue.
Global never airs content when CBS isn't airing the same program.
They wait, airing filler content until such time where they can air the same programming as CBS and get a FULL uninterrupted SIM SUB in.Not as much lately. 60 minutes specifically has run on time while delayed on CBS.
You couldn't be more wrong.
RadioActive wrote:
I'm aware of how precious simsub is for Canadian stations, especially in the country's biggest market, but airing an episode of "Border Security" and then cutting it off halfway through has to be worse for viewers than simply abdicating the simultaneous substitution for the night. If you're already on Global, you might as well start the show on time or it will encourage viewers to go elsewhere.
Chances are good you may not get them back.
So they changed that. No Border Security. Instead, repeating Global National until 7:17 then (in the middle of ads, brutally) switching over to the beginning of 60 minutes.
60 minutes DOES NOT AIR at 7PM unless CBS is airing it at 7 pm also.
Last edited by Radiowiz (April 12, 2026 7:21 pm)
Offline
Radiowiz wrote:
You couldn't be more wrong.
i sure can!
Offline
Global didn't run 60 Minutes with CBS on March 29th. It ran at the usual time while CBS was still into basketball. Also they ran the most recent season of Crime Beat: Most Wanted Sunday at 7pm and moved 60 Minutes to midnight on Sunday/Monday morning earlier this season. I don't know why sometimes they put filler in to match up with CBS and then the next week run the show at 7pm regardless of what CBS does.
I remember last year the much hyped Billy Joel concert from Madison Square Gardens was a mess on CBS because of sports on Sunday and Global showed the special at the advertised time with no issues. CBS was forced to run the special again later in the week because of complaints from viewers about the show not running as advertised and the network clipping the end of the program in many markets.
Last edited by paterson1 (April 13, 2026 9:58 am)
Offline
The actual tournament ended pretty close to 7pm. However, the grovelling to the Augusta CEO and Green Jacket presentation at Butler Cabin caused the 60 Minutes delay. CTV had gone back to regular prgramming as soon as the tournament ended.
Offline
paterson1 wrote:
Global didn't run 60 Minutes with CBS on March 29th. It ran at the usual time while CBS was still into basketball.
Care to comment, Mr. Wiz?
Offline
RadioAaron wrote:
paterson1 wrote:
Global didn't run 60 Minutes with CBS on March 29th. It ran at the usual time while CBS was still into basketball.
Care to comment, Mr. Wiz?
That's very strange. MOST of the time Global does not air 60 minutes until it can fully sim sub CBS, like last Sunday where both stations aired the program @ 7:17. Global DID NOT start 60 minutes @ 7.
They want the sim sub in full as best as they can get it.