sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum


You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

December 9, 2025 10:49 am  #31


Re: The Worst News Mispronunciation Yet

mic'em wrote:

When we first moved here ( Greater Sudbury Area ) in Feb 24, I hired a local fellow to do some renovations in the house. Day one, I asked him the correct pronunciation of the local names I was curious about. I knew about camp versus cottage as my wife is originally from this region. I didn't want the stigma of being a " southener " . It's bad enough that the majority of the locals here have French as their mother tongue. I have no understanding of  French at all, but I find everyone is bilingual to my great relief. 

Je comprend si vous parlez tres lentement. I wouldn't go thirsty in a Montreal bar. Deux Molson's. I like Export.

 

December 9, 2025 11:36 am  #32


Re: The Worst News Mispronunciation Yet

We (CKCO-TV) had a sportscaster actually say "Ni Pissing University". And of course the classic "Kaa Puss Kaa Sing" for Kapuskasing. And in Kitchener Waterloo you can always tell someone new to news in the area when they miss pronounce Weber (like Bieber) Street as Web-ber Street.

Last edited by scrand (December 9, 2025 4:26 pm)

 

December 30, 2025 10:05 am  #33


Re: The Worst News Mispronunciation Yet

Here's an official list of the most mangled words on the media for 2025. (It's from the U.S., so it shouldn't surprise you that many of them were from stories down south.)

"The language-learning company Babbel and closed-captioning company The Captioning Group on Thursday released a list of the words that news anchors, politicians and other public figures in the U.S. struggled with the most this year."

Zohran Mamdani and the Louvre make the list of most mispronounced words of 2025

     •Thread Starter
 

December 30, 2025 11:33 am  #34


Re: The Worst News Mispronunciation Yet

Commercial currently airing where the announcer talks about pushing the "budden" for extra scent.
Also heard someone on CTV refer to the memorial for Brigitte Bardot in "Saint" Tropez.

 

January 18, 2026 7:09 pm  #35


Re: The Worst News Mispronunciation Yet

Did Rahim Ladhani really just call Kapuskasing "Ka-Puss-Ka-Ping" on CTV News at 6? Yes, I'm afraid he did. 

I'm pretty sure he knows how to pronounce it, I think the copy in the prompter just took him by surprise. At least I hope so!

     •Thread Starter
 

January 18, 2026 9:42 pm  #36


Re: The Worst News Mispronunciation Yet

A 680 News staffer pronounced Bob Weir as "Bob Wire" this afternoon

 

January 18, 2026 10:13 pm  #37


Re: The Worst News Mispronunciation Yet

DX wrote:

A 680 News staffer pronounced Bob Weir as "Bob Wire" this afternoon

Better name for a rock star, anyway!

     •Thread Starter
 

February 1, 2026 7:43 pm  #38


Re: The Worst News Mispronunciation Yet

RadioActive wrote:

Did Rahim Ladhani really just call Kapuskasing "Ka-Puss-Ka-Ping" on CTV News at 6? Yes, I'm afraid he did. 

I'm pretty sure he knows how to pronounce it, I think the copy in the prompter just took him by surprise. At least I hope so!

Rahim Ladhani strikes again. In talking about the various critters that pop up for Groundhog Day on CTV's Sunday 6 PM newscast, he listed the rodent weather predictors from various places, including Punxsutawney Phil, the famous Ohio groundhog.

It's pronounced Punks-a-tawny, but Ladhani apparently did not know that. He called his Pucks-aca-ta-wanee, which isn't even close. 

Does this mean six more weeks of mispronunciations?

     •Thread Starter
 

February 1, 2026 8:18 pm  #39


Re: The Worst News Mispronunciation Yet

RadioActive wrote:

RadioActive wrote:

Did Rahim Ladhani really just call Kapuskasing "Ka-Puss-Ka-Ping" on CTV News at 6? Yes, I'm afraid he did. 

I'm pretty sure he knows how to pronounce it, I think the copy in the prompter just took him by surprise. At least I hope so!

Rahim Ladhani strikes again. In talking about the various critters that pop up for Groundhog Day on CTV's Sunday 6 PM newscast, he listed the rodent weather predictors from various places, including Punxsutawney Phil, the famous Ohio groundhog.

It's pronounced Punks-a-tawny, but Ladhani apparently did not know that. He called his Pucks-aca-ta-wanee, which isn't even close. 

Does this mean six more weeks of mispronunciations?

That famous Ohio groundhog must travel well. Punxsutawney is in Pennsylvania!

 

February 1, 2026 10:18 pm  #40


Re: The Worst News Mispronunciation Yet

You're right, my bad. Temporary brain cramp from all that lack of sleep over my recurring radio nightmare!

But at least I can pronounce Pennsylvania! 

     •Thread Starter
 

March 29, 2026 6:18 pm  #41


Re: The Worst News Mispronunciation Yet

There are some names you should just know if you're in the news biz. I always thought Natalie Johnson of CTV Toronto was pretty good. But then on Sunday's CTV News at 6, she reported on the start of Holy Week with the Pope, talking about the Church of the Holy Sep-ul-cher (rhymes with "vulture.")

Unless she just got caught by surprise, how could you not know the name of one of the most famous places in the world and something that comes up every single year?

     •Thread Starter
 

March 30, 2026 8:54 am  #42


Re: The Worst News Mispronunciation Yet

I'm sure it happens with less frequency due to most commercials / sponsorship reads being per-recorded...  but...

I heard a traffic report / sponsorship last week for Desjardins Insurance. The traffic reporter mispronounced the sponsor as Dardins, and omitted the "esj" .   Maybe the on air reporter did not have time time to check the proper pronunciation before.