sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum


You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

February 3, 2026 7:17 am  #1


The Pen Flip That Cost Dave Hodge His HNIC Job

He was a mainstay on Hockey Night In Canada until that fateful broadcast when the CBC decided to cut off the end of an exciting overtime game so they could show the news.
 
What happened next was the final day of Hodge’s career on the Corp. – and he claims he has no regrets about showing his disgust on national TV.
 
Dave Hodge unrepentant about pen flip that ended his run on Hockey Night in Canada
 
Interestingly, it was Hodge’s departure that led to the long run of another Canadian hockey stalwart: Ron McLean took Hodge’s place and has never looked back.

 

February 3, 2026 12:36 pm  #2


Re: The Pen Flip That Cost Dave Hodge His HNIC Job

Any idea what Dave Hodge is doing these days? At 81 he could be retired, but no guarantees. Cousin Brucie is still working, albeit parttime, at 90.

 

February 3, 2026 1:14 pm  #3


Re: The Pen Flip That Cost Dave Hodge His HNIC Job

Read the reader comments under the article.  Don Cherry's former sidekick, and still part of the TV crew, does not get off easy.

 

February 3, 2026 1:24 pm  #4


Re: The Pen Flip That Cost Dave Hodge His HNIC Job

mace wrote:

Any idea what Dave Hodge is doing these days? At 81 he could be retired, but no guarantees. Cousin Brucie is still working, albeit parttime, at 90.

Dave is retired, but he visits me once a year to share his 100 favourite songs of the calendar year. We even maintain a website devoted to these yearly visits: https://www.hodge100.com/
 

 

February 3, 2026 1:25 pm  #5


Re: The Pen Flip That Cost Dave Hodge His HNIC Job

And since the Pen Flip is in the news, I'd like to share a little audio doc I put together on that topic, after chatting with Dave Hodge, Ken Daniels, Ron MacLean, Paul Romanuk and Peter Mansbridge.

https://www.torontomike.com/2021/12/the-pen-flip-a-mikeumentary-toronto-miked-podcast-episode-960/

 

February 3, 2026 3:10 pm  #6


Re: The Pen Flip That Cost Dave Hodge His HNIC Job

I don't think the Hodge incident would have happened if CBC News Network was around. The Corporation has always emphasized news.  The Corp was not wrong by not showing the rest of the country the end of the Habs game.  The mandate was to show a game from start to finish for the original audience.  I think Dave Hodge was the best host ever.  Ralph Mellanby wanted to put journalism into the telecasts rather than have Ward Cornell talk to Gordie Howe about this fishing trip.  Another great story from the pre- CBC News Network days was when, during a play-off game, Ron Mclean was with Don Cherry.  It was in an overtime intermission, when Ron said they would have to break for a brief news update.  So, Cherry piped up, "OK, so Peter Mansfield is going to tell us what's going on in Slubobia."

 

February 3, 2026 4:30 pm  #7


Re: The Pen Flip That Cost Dave Hodge His HNIC Job

He worked for a short time at CFCO, Chatham in the 1960s as the sports director.   I always like him as a broadcaster.
I hope all is well with him.

 

February 3, 2026 6:45 pm  #8


Re: The Pen Flip That Cost Dave Hodge His HNIC Job

Interestingly, both those guys really like live music, have seen both at shows for acts not played much or at all on radio, though I don't think Ron quite holds a candle to Hodge, who introduced the Jayhawks at their Burlington show just 14 months ago.
And I recall a grand night with pals and I chatting music with Hodge at the Shoe pre-pandemic for The Baseball Project (members of REM, Dream Syndicate, Young Fresh Fellows).
 

Last edited by Fleadh (February 3, 2026 6:48 pm)

 

February 3, 2026 9:22 pm  #9


Re: The Pen Flip That Cost Dave Hodge His HNIC Job

I don't know how he tolerates modern day music. 

 

February 3, 2026 9:42 pm  #10


Re: The Pen Flip That Cost Dave Hodge His HNIC Job

cash wrote:

I don't know how he tolerates modern day music. 

The Dream Syndicate, REM and Young Fresh fellows are not exactly new. They all started in the 1980's. The Jayhawks are not too shabby either . I have posted this before but I love their cover  of Bad Time. REM were a great band and their cover of Draggin The Line is also excellent, at least I think so. I still have my copy of the second Dream Syndicate album. Love the Neil Young guitar on the track below. Not played much if at all on CFNY but the Buffalo prog stations were more likely to play it.










 

Last edited by Fitz (February 3, 2026 9:55 pm)


Cool Airchecks and More:
http://www.lettheuniverseanswer.com/