sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

November 1, 2017 1:47 pm  #1

First Station In North America To Go All Christmas Surfaces

One day after Halloween, it's a case of Ghoul to Yule. 

A Christian formatted station in Cincinnati has gone all Christmas music all the time as of Wednesday. I can't say for sure, but I would think this is the first in North America. This comes up every year here and despite what many of us think, it always seems to work.

Although really, November 1st is a bit early no matter how you slice your Xmas turkey.

This Cincinnati radio station is already playing Christmas music

November 1, 2017 2:14 pm  #2

Re: First Station In North America To Go All Christmas Surfaces

I was listening to Sirius' Holiday Traditions all day Saturday while doing wiring.  I probably listen to it more during summer than I do in December.  It's songs I know all the words to .  

Madness takes its toll.  Please have exact change.

November 8, 2017 8:54 pm  #3

WTSS, aka Star 102.5 in Buffalo, has now flipped the Yule switch, giving a whole new meaning to "Jingles" all the way. 

'Ho, ho, ho' or 'No, no, no?' Holiday music is here

How long before CHFI follows suit here?

In other news comes this timely headline:

Christmas Music Could Harm Your Mental Health

November 8, 2017 10:20 pm  #4

I don't mind 2 or 3 Xmas songs an hour mixed in a regular format after Dec 1st. 24/7 "Holiday Hits" makes my head explode. Unfortunately, it is a monster ratings winner in most markets by A/C stations. Country stations that try it, not so much. Probably my two favourite Xmas songs are Bob Rivers The 12 Pains Of Christmas and Elmo & Patsy's Grandma Got Run Over By A Reindeer [Not the crappy cover version done by the Irish Rovers]  Ironically, I identify Andy William's "The Most Wonderful Time" with Back To School more than Christmas now.

November 8, 2017 10:27 pm  #5

I seem to remember 97.3, in their previous incarnation as EZ Rock, started the tradition of playing Christmas music the day after Halloween and other TO stations would follow suit as well.

PJ

ClassicHitsOnline.com...If you enjoy hearing the same 200 songs over and over again...listen to the other guys!

November 9, 2017 11:17 am  #6

I believe this is the earliest WTSS has switched to all Xmas.

"Life without echo is really no life at all." - Dan Ingram

November 9, 2017 11:37 am  #7

Dale Patterson wrote:

I believe this is the earliest WTSS has switched to all Xmas.

You may be right. The traditional wisdom i the U.S. has been to wait until at least after Veteran's Day - or even past American Thanksgiving. I expect we'll be seeing (hearing?) something more out of CHFI after this Saturday, Remembrance Day. 

November 9, 2017 1:23 pm  #8

CHFI's been pretty predictable with flipping on Santa Claus Parade weekend. There's no real need for them to muck with the date to beat a competitor to it, as there haven't been any in a while.

November 9, 2017 3:55 pm  #9

Capital FM (CKRA) in Edmonton went all Christmas this past Tuesday (Nov. 7).  Stations in Tampa Bay (WPBB) and Chicago (WLIT) switch on Monday the 6th.

November 9, 2017 4:06 pm  #10

According to the Radio Locator website, there are currently 18 "Holiday Music" radio stations. 3 AM and 15 FM. Most are A/C or Hot A/C formatted. There is one N/T and two Hip Hop stations that have flipped. Only major market station on the list is WLIT Chicago. No idea why Canadian Xmas stations are not listed. Signal pattern info is there.

November 12, 2017 8:47 pm  #11

Paul Jeffries wrote:

I seem to remember 97.3, in their previous incarnation as EZ Rock, started the tradition of playing Christmas music the day after Halloween and other TO stations would follow suit as well.

I think so, too....but, if memory serves, didn't they become Boom 97.3 after playing Christmas music one year?

November 12, 2017 8:58 pm  #12

ckg927 wrote:

if memory serves, didn't they become Boom 97.3 after playing Christmas music one year?

97 point 3 EZ rock (CJEZ) made the switch to all Christmas music for the last time back in 2009, then on Boxing day that year they launched Boom 97.3.
(currently CHBM, Boom 97three)

They have not played all Christmas music since.

Last edited by Radiowiz (November 12, 2017 10:38 pm)

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.