sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

August 27, 2015 1:23 pm  #1

Two Ont. TV Stations Officially Disaffiliate From The CBC

There wasn't much doubt it would happen but on Thursday, the CRTC approved the request from Corus-owned CHEX-TV Peterborough and CKWS-TV Kingston to officially separate both broadcasters from their longtime affiliation with the CBC. 

There are three noatable things about the decision:

1) It was the CBC's request - not Corus - to cut the two stations from their network. 

2) Both Corus and Bell Media have taken great pains to point out this is strictly a programming agreement and NOT an affiliation with CTV. As an example, Corus says it's not obligated to carry any CTV News programming and - even more interesting -  it controls when the shows it buys from the network run, which presumably means they could air out-of-pattern. 

3) Surprise! Rogers issued an intervention, insisting the move would duplicate too much CTV programming in too many markets. The CRTC didn't buy it, primarily because of point 2), in which Corus noted in maintains all editorial control.

As to the CRTC's mandate that CBC's programming be made as widely available as possible, comes this fascinating little comment:

"The Commission considers that the responsibility to provide the CBC’s services rests with the CBC, not with private broadcasters. In this respect, although the CBC’s programming will no longer be available over-the-air in the affected markets following disaffiliation, it will remain available on the basic service provided by cable and satellite operators." 

The switch starts Sept. 1st - just a few weeks before the new fall season shows debut.

CHEX & CKWS Sever CBC Ties

Last edited by RadioActive (August 27, 2015 2:44 pm)

August 27, 2015 2:57 pm  #2

Re: Two Ont. TV Stations Officially Disaffiliate From The CBC

Actually it starts midnight Aug. 30, aka Aug. 31

August 27, 2015 3:54 pm  #3

Is the fact that no OTA reception of CBC is available a harbinger of things to follow?

August 27, 2015 5:10 pm  #4

pinto wrote:

Is the fact that no OTA reception of CBC is available a harbinger of things to follow?

TVO shut down.... eventually decommisioned their former analog CH. 18 transmitter in Peterborough... there was no transition or replacement with a digital serivce... The reasoning was due to the costs of providing the service, where most viewers are already watching TVO on either cable tv, or satellite service.

I seem to recall that when the CHEX/CKWS switch to CTV was announced, that CTV / Bell would reciprocate by shutting down the analog CJOH CH. 6 rebroad in Deseronto.  Saves Bell Media the capital and engineering costs of the post transitional digital transmitter.   (I think this was mentioned/discussed on the former board.... maybe it was on this board in the early days....)

Last edited by Glen Warren (August 27, 2015 9:11 pm)

August 27, 2015 7:12 pm  #5

Glen Warren wrote:

... shutting down the analog CJOH CH. 6 rebroad in Deseronto.  

Yes, I remember reading that too but I have not seen anything "official" on the matter. BCE also has to consider now, what to do with the ch. 35 HD transmitter in Bobcaygeon now that CHEX virtually covers the same area.

August 27, 2015 7:16 pm  #6

CBC wants affiliates to carry the full network schedule and most affiliates want some syndicated programming to make money from.  That's why this keeps happening.

Last edited by Prod Guy (August 27, 2015 7:17 pm)

August 27, 2015 9:26 pm  #7

andysradio wrote:

...what to do with the ch. 35 HD transmitter in Bobcaygeon now that CHEX virtually covers the same area.

Yes, this was the second part of the puzzle....

I used to be able to pickup CFTO-DT 35 (PSIP 54.1) from Bobcaygeon here in Burlington.... but once CKVR fired up their Hamilton rebroad CHCJ on 35 (PSIP 35.1)  it walks all over CFTO DT 35...  oh well...

August 31, 2015 8:20 pm  #8

Does anyone know why the CBC ended their affillation with CHEX and CKWS? Maybe they messed around with Corrie Street!

August 31, 2015 10:51 pm  #9

As I wrote above, CBC now wants affiliates to carry the entire network schedule, and most refuse.  When I interned at an affiliate of the CBC, I was told that Frasier reruns and the local news made more money for the affiliate than most of the CBC schedule outside of hockey.  A decade later that station wasn't a CBC affiliate anymore.

Last edited by Prod Guy (August 31, 2015 10:53 pm)