sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

July 18, 2017 11:54 am  #1

2016 Private Radio Ad Revenues Down Again: Stats Canada

Lots of numbers here, but the bottom line is that the bottom line isn't looking all that good for radio in Canada. They're still making money, of course, but will this be just another pretext for more layoffs?

FYImusicnews.ca: 2016 Private Radio Ad Revenues Nosedive

July 18, 2017 4:21 pm  #2

Re: 2016 Private Radio Ad Revenues Down Again: Stats Canada

Those numbers were compiled before Peter Sherman quarterbacked AM 640s current recovery.  
 Best buy: CJR/B at $13.73.  
Don't take my word for it; Louis Skizas coming your way with the rest of the story

July 18, 2017 8:53 pm  #3

geo wrote:

Those numbers were compiled before Peter Sherman quarterbacked AM 640s current recovery.  
 Best buy: CJR/B at $13.73.  
Don't take my word for it; Louis Skizas coming your way with the rest of the story

CJRB is a radio station at 1220 AM in Boissevain, Manitoba. I don't care what Lou Schizas says, I don't think I'm investing in them. 

And no, it's not a Corus station. 

July 18, 2017 9:23 pm  #4

It's an interesting situation.
Is it time to spend fresh new money on music tests for new formats? 
Or will we see radio just ride it out.
I also wonder what talk radio will do? Some stations are stuck where they are with great ratings as is but others not so much...

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.

July 19, 2017 2:24 am  #5

The takeaway for radio is simple and has been proven time and again: build more value for our commercials and charge more, while concurrently both increasing revenue and reducing the spot load.

How? Document, measure, and attribute our radio advertisers’ sales results to the penny – 52 weeks a year. These strategies always produce more premium rate revenue per hour of prospecting, presenting, closing and servicing.

Doing this inside and outside of radio sales, management and ownership, I’ve found it’s actually easier and far more profitable to give our radio advertisers the measurability, documentation and attribution they want - the interesting thing is that virtually no one - broadcasters or print a/k/a "digital news media" competitors - are doing this with any consistency.  

This is the only way to lift radio out of the muck and mire of the status quo, and collectively grow our industry’s 10 years of inflation-adjusted, flat-lining revenue.

I'm happy to pay it forward and freely show others a number of ways as to how it's done.

Andy McNabb
AndyMcNabb.com

July 19, 2017 11:09 am  #6

Andy McNabb wrote:

This is the only way to lift radio out of the muck and mire of the status quo  

Zounds Andy!     You're onto something here.      the MUCK 'N MIRE morning show

July 19, 2017 9:14 pm  #7

Don't advertise on corporate radio.  They don't care.  About what?  The audience OR the advertisers.  Go with locally owned and operated radio ONLY.  Other-wise?  There's almost no valid return for your dollar.  THAT audience can't be motivated.

July 20, 2017 6:44 am  #8

Old Codger wrote:

Don't advertise on corporate radio.  They don't care    

You are a broadcast executive of considerable intellect who is obviously held in high regard by your peers.    Are you not concerned that your stated position will lead to layoffs of young, eager (cheap) interns?     Have you no shame, O.C.?  

July 20, 2017 8:56 am  #9

I guess not.  My pecking order in terms of radio's priorities has ever-so-little to do with the business 'realities' of now.  To me it's all about the product.  That they've neglected it for so long is now beginning to turn a former certainty into a crumbling relic.  And who, then, has no shame?

It is "layoff" season isn't it?  Get set to get jettisoned...there are bonuses to be made.  The audience can eat cake.  [and listen to the steady diet of electro-non which supposedly passes for music these decades.