sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

June 4, 2023 8:55 am  #1

CKLW: Those "Sensationalistic" Newscasts & How They Fought CanCon

The Detroit Free Press has an article on what it calls the "sensationalistic" newscasts that once emanated from CKLW. Unfortunately, it's behind a very strong paywall. But you don't need to read the recap to remember the style The Big 8 pioneered. 

An almost cliched deep voiced newsman, in stentorian tones, would often start his "20/20" newscast by saying, "The Metro Murder Meter has clicked up again..." before relating some gruesome details of the latest mayhem in Motown. The one I remember best was about an attack on a woman. It went something like this:

"Detroit Police are on the hunt for a criminal creep this morning. Last night, a man with a knife dragged a woman into an alley. He took out his blade and raped her."

Yes, I actually heard this. Can you imagine anyone trying that copy today? I suppose the logic was the kids wouldn't listen to the news unless you made it palatable for them. So they came up with a style that was almost impossible to ignore, even if you weren't into headlines. Appropriate or not, it was quite remarkable. Here's a perfect example if you've never heard it.

I remember CFTR used to get criticized for some of its writing style, especially Larry Silver. I believe the CRTC once called it "yellow journalism." But I don't think there was much they could do about it. 

As for the CanCon reference, I came across this remarkable article from TVO, of all places, published back in 2020. It asserts that the Canadian Content rules didn't cause any decline in the station's ratings. Not that they didn't try and get around them as much as possible and expressed strong resentment for the entire concept.  

"CKLW officials didn’t like the idea of playing songs that members of the Maple Leaf System admitted had been picked strictly because they were Canadian. “We want the freedom to serve our audience,” CKLW program director Frank Brodie told the Windsor Star in August 1969. “We’re not about to cram anything down their throats. To me it doesn’t really matter whether a record is Canadian or American, as long as it is good and is available to our audience.”

Frank Brodie, of course, was the great Mike Marshall and I have to wonder if he'd have the same attitude if quizzed about the subject today. 

The article also notes that at one point, John Bassett was considering buying the station. His solution to get around the CanCon regs? 

"One contentious aspect was a plan to, four times an hour, air one-minute “previews” of Canadian music played on its FM station to help fulfil the AM side’s Canadian-content requirements. The application claimed that this would boost CKLW-FM’s ratings."

The best laid plans etc....

The TVO piece, while a few years old is well worth a look. 

How Windsor’s CKLW reckoned with the brand-new CanCon rules

June 4, 2023 10:11 am  #2

Re: CKLW: Those "Sensationalistic" Newscasts & How They Fought CanCon

For just one day of my career -- one newscast, even -- I'd love to write it in the Big 8 style.  I don't have the pipes to deliver it the way those guys did.
"They tagged another toe down at the morgue today."
"Little Jimmy Smith got more than he bargained for while fishing in the Detroit River: a human body!".

June 4, 2023 12:12 pm  #3

That example isn't even one LW's more explicit newscasts.  Always thought it was odd that the CRTC never really said much about The Big 8's news style.  They did ask the station to include more local and Canadian news.  However often Windsor and area didn't even have one murder in a year or there really weren't many scandals they could play up on this side of the border. 

June 4, 2023 12:41 pm  #4

I believe WKBW-AM in Buffalo also used this outrageous copy technique to grab the ears of a younger demo. It began when future TV anchor Irv Weinstein arrived as news director and initiated "Pulsebeat News." 

From the book "Irv! Buffalo's Anchorman:"

“Over time I developed a writing style that had sizzle and alliteration, and the type of thing to grab the audience. I learned along the way, that before you can get people to listen to you, you have to catch their attention. One way to do that is in your writing– make it compelling. Sometimes it was overboard, frankly, but it was ok. It did the job.”

June 4, 2023 1:05 pm  #5

RadioActive wrote:

...Unfortunately, it's behind a very strong paywall...

https://archive.ph/k3qNx

June 4, 2023 1:07 pm  #6

Thank you for this. I wasn't aware it was archived. Appreciate it, since I was anxious to read it. I had no idea it was a reprint of a previous item first published in 1973!

June 4, 2023 1:13 pm  #7

I was at the CRTC hearing, when a CRTC commissioner, i believe it was pat pierce asked Ted Rogers if he encouraged his kids to listen to CFTR.   When he said "yes", she played a tape compilation of Larry Silver's "greatest hits".  I remember two items on that tape.   "A floater pulled from Toronto Harbour".  and "a crispy critter" (referring to a fire victim.  There may have been a 3rd, referring to suicide "the dangling dance of death".  But the 3rd reference might have been to WKBW...and not played at the hearing.   

June 5, 2023 7:28 am  #8

Grant Hudson's most famous news item would probably be the "Louisville Slugger" story. CKLW did have its limits when it came to creative writing. In the documentary, "Rise and Fall of the Big 8" Keith Randall got his wrist slapped for starting a story "In Port Huron today, baby hungry flames ate alive five little boys"

June 5, 2023 7:35 am  #9

RA: I believe the correct term was "Motor City Murder Meter"  Irv Weinstein was impressive at ch 7 also. Every night "pistol packing punks" were roaming the flaming streets of Buffalo. Gotta love the alliteration.

June 5, 2023 7:39 am  #10

Not to mention a fire almost every night in Cheektowaga or Lackawanna. Any blaze was almost always their top story.

June 5, 2023 8:50 am  #11

That's funny, I don't recall CFTR or WKBW TV being anything like CKLW 20/20 news.   Both did the alliteration to a certain extent, and some humour but that was about it.  LW took it much further with the teletype loop sfx background, hyper delivery, short stories and sound clips, and emphasis on crime and violence. I think the "pistol packing punks" was also a Grant Hudson phrase, heard him use it on an aircheck.  CKLW's news style influenced other stations, but nobody else took it nearly as far.

I always thought 1050 chum had the best news for a top 40 station.  Their news style was straight forward, contemporary but didn't talk down or pander to young adults.  Dick Smyth with his news and commentaries were one of a kind.  Well written, could be funny but covered serious topics clearly and directly.  CFTR also had good solid news. They were one of the first to introduce news updates with the short 68 second news breaks.

Toronto had great morning radio news in the 70/80's.  CFRB, CHUM, CBC, CFTR, CKEY, and CKFH/CJCL, CKFM, CHFI, Q and CHUM FM.  All of them first rate, as I recall.