sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

May 29, 2023 8:50 pm  #1

Is This One Of The Best Sounding Free Music Streams Ever?

I'm not sure what they're doing on a music site called "Bill Drake's Top 40 Hit Clock," but for an Internet stream, the sound is pretty incredible - better in many ways than anything I've heard anywhere else. It calls itself a "Hi-Speed Internet Stream" and comes out at 64 kbps. However they're processing this, I wish they all sounded this good. The sound fairly leaps out of my not very impressive laptop speakers.  

Also, the playlist is pretty good for an oldies station. Not to mention, they make a point of playing the hits in a given year in the order they came out, which is certainly unique. 

No idea who's behind this, but they sure did it right. 

Bill Drake's Top 40 Hit Clock

May 29, 2023 9:00 pm  #2

Re: Is This One Of The Best Sounding Free Music Streams Ever?

All true, RA. Excellent quality.

I haven't listened long yet. Are there ads? If not, who's paying?

EDIT: Sounds great on my Samsung Android phone.

Last edited by Dial Twister (May 29, 2023 9:03 pm)

May 29, 2023 9:24 pm  #3

Completely spot free as far as I can tell.

May 29, 2023 9:29 pm  #4

Here's a little more on the audio encoding for those more technically inclined. Not sure I understand it all, but I appreciate the quality. 

https://www.indexcom.com/

May 29, 2023 9:38 pm  #5

On my Win10 desktop with a decent soundcard and speakers, it sounds better than CD quality.

Yowzers!

May 29, 2023 9:50 pm  #6

On really good headphones, just great. A tiny bit of digital artifacting, but more than made up for with processing. 

May 30, 2023 4:49 am  #7

Great Audio Sound??

I probably shouldn't do this, but - NYthespirit.com also has an audio sound better than most. We encourage folks to use Firefox - come in and crank it up. The volume of emails we get complimenting our audio is amazing. We are heading into our tenth year. 

Come in Free for the first 30 days. Listen to the Free Form DJs. If you don't want to become a member cancel before the 30 days are up. You will get your full Free 30 days. Of course we like you to stay with us :-) 

DJs in alphabetical order: 

All Nite Andre
Earl Jive - from California
Ivar Hamilton
James and the New Music Show
Marsden
Rob Stuart
Scott Eagleson - from Vancouver 

And yes - your thoughts on what we do will be appreciated. Here or....
david.marsden@nythespirit.com 

Last edited by Marsden (May 30, 2023 4:50 am)

May 30, 2023 8:19 am  #8

Dial Twister wrote:

All true, RA. Excellent quality.

I haven't listened long yet. Are there ads? If not, who's paying?

EDIT: Sounds great on my Samsung Android phone.

Where do you download this for Android phones?

May 30, 2023 8:25 am  #9

mace wrote:

Where do you download this for Android phones?

I simply clicked on RA's link and played it through the Microsoft Edge browser. Any browser should work.

May 30, 2023 8:42 am  #10

a few more streams to check out this "HiFi Audio Streams" tech"  
https://www.theeagle.fm/
https://somafm.com/player/#/now-playing/seventies  
https://somafm.com/player/#/now-playing/bootliquor 
https://big49radio.com/ 

Last edited by g121 (May 30, 2023 8:43 am)

November 30, 2023 12:25 pm  #11

RadioActive wrote:

I'm not sure what they're doing on a music site called "Bill Drake's Top 40 Hit Clock," but for an Internet stream, the sound is pretty incredible - better in many ways than anything I've heard anywhere else. It calls itself a "Hi-Speed Internet Stream" and comes out at 64 kbps. However they're processing this, I wish they all sounded this good. The sound fairly leaps out of my not very impressive laptop speakers.  

Also, the playlist is pretty good for an oldies station. Not to mention, they make a point of playing the hits in a given year in the order they came out, which is certainly unique. 

This was posted last spring, and I'm resurrecting it now in case anyone bookmarked the link above. It's been moved to a new address, but the sound quality is still as stunning as ever. Here's where you can find it now:

Bill Drake Top 40 Hit Clock Updated

November 30, 2023 1:18 pm  #12

RadioActive wrote:

RadioActive wrote:

This was posted last spring, and I'm resurrecting it now in case anyone bookmarked the link above. It's been moved to a new address, but the sound quality is still as stunning as ever. Here's where you can find it now:

Bill Drake Top 40 Hit Clock Updated

I keep wanting to hear someone (live) say Teeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeen fifty CHUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUM!!!!

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.