sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

May 7, 2023 3:18 pm  #1

Do You Have An Accurate TV/Radio Weather Forecaster You Can Recommend?

Yes, it's time for another old man yells at cloud diatribe! But this one ends not with a rant but a question. 

As you no doubt know, the GTA has been clobbered with absolutely miserable weather for almost a full month. According to Global meteorologist Anthony Farnell, 16 out of 17 days in the past month have included major rain. That's almost three straight weeks of precipitation, including 5 consecutive days of often heavy downpours last week alone.

As someone who depends on the forecasts to make plans (and to walk my rain-hating dog), I need to be able to know what's coming. So I turn to these guys. But once again, I find I can no longer believe a single thing they promise. (Making them similar to politicians, who also promise and never deliver.)

After all that rain, I turned on all the major TV prognosticators last week, only to be continually told "Hold on! This is almost over. We have at least six days of sunny and warmer weather coming starting Friday!" They then showed their 5-7 day forecast boards, which indicated sunshine right through next week. 

Until later Friday, when all of sudden, there was a chance of rain on Sunday. Where was this in the earlier forecasts? Cut to Saturday. Instead of a chance of rain, it was now a long downpour beginning noon on Sunday and lasting into the dinner hour. 

Um, wait a second - didn't these same charlatans promise me a full week of sunshine after all that gloom? Where did this Sunday depressing dampness come from all of a sudden? I watched Natasha Ramsahai on City, Farnell (and Ross Hull) on Global and Lyndsey Morrison on CTV Toronto and they all said the same thing. What they didn't do is explain how they could have gotten it so wrong for the weekend - again!

This keeps on happening over and over and over and as a viewer, I have to say I'm used to it - but also fed up. I know weather is changeable. I get, that I really do. But to go from a prediction of a week of solid sun to a soggy Sunday in less than 48 hours is ridiculous.

So my question to those interested in answering it is this: is there a reliable weather forecaster you trust on the air anywhere in the GTA? If so, please tell me his or her name. I just don't believe anything these guys and gals say anymore, because this happens all the time, almost on a weekly basis. And they never, ever acknowledge that they got it wrong. 

And here's a prediction of my own: some of them are calling for temps. at or above 20C later this coming week. Or at least they were on Friday. Now suddenly, it's down to 18 or 19. By the time we get there, I'm honestly expecting snow and sleet. Is there anyone who can accurately predict the weather in this town 48 hours out? If so, I'd love to know their names and stations, so I can watch them.

May 8, 2023 8:34 am  #2

Re: Do You Have An Accurate TV/Radio Weather Forecaster You Can Recommend?

I bike a lot, so I'm always interested in the weather... it dictates how I dress, the routes I take, etc.

I swear by this link... bookmark it and visit it often...

https://weather.gc.ca/forecast/hourly/on-143_metric_e.html

May 8, 2023 8:59 am  #3

Whatever you do, don't watch the weather reports on CTV Ottawa (CJOH)... they are full of ads. First, the segment has a sponsor. Next, the cross-Canada observations have a sponsor. Next is the "(sponsor name) seven-day forecast", and at some random point in the segment, usually the short-term forecast, is at least one snipe/pop-up ad.

This is why, like Toronto Mike, I swear by the Environment Canada forecasts, even though the local observations come from the base in Petawawa; I'll also sometimes compare those with The Weather Network's online forecasts, with my browser's ad blocker enabled. If I want weather radar, that's EC as well, with our area in the Ottawa Valley covered by the Franktown (XFT) radar, south of Carleton Place; new images come in about every six minutes.

May 8, 2023 9:21 am  #4

I like the Weather Network, who I believe gets most of their information from Environment Canada.  Their radar map is accurate.  I never put too much stock in long range forecasts.  We are surrounded by the Great Lakes and they effect our weather all the time and this can explain quick changes in conditions.  A weather forecast is just that, a forecast.  Long range forecasts are never promises. 

May 8, 2023 9:47 am  #5

Most meteorologists will tell you (I've heard them) that those 7-day forecasts are often just a best guess coin flip. I think it was Dave Phillips who said 48 hours is about the limit for accuracy. But viewers like the long-range predictions, and so TV news producers insist on having them. 

If you think the 7-day is often a work of fiction, consider WNBC-TV in New York, which does a 10-day forecast. It can't possibly be right most of the time, but they count on the fact most viewers will forget on Tuesday what they saw on Friday. 

I have to say I was pleasantly surprised this morning when I heard Anthony Farnell on 640 confess the all-day rain we had on Sunday took most weather people by surprise and he sort of apologized for blowing it, especially with the Toronto Marathon going on and so many people depending on accuracy. That was refreshing. Especially since it so rarely happens. 

May 8, 2023 9:53 am  #6

torontomike wrote:

I bike a lot, so I'm always interested in the weather... it dictates how I dress, the routes I take, etc.

I swear by this link... bookmark it and visit it often...

https://weather.gc.ca/forecast/hourly/on-143_metric_e.html

I've bookmarked it and hope it solves my problem with inaccurate forecasts. My dog thanks you. 

May 8, 2023 10:03 am  #7

I use the "Clime" weather app on my phone. It shows the various weather systems moving across North America. Red/Yellow/Green depending on the rainfall intensity, pink for freezing rain and Blue for snow. The map is extremely detailed to the point where you can find the street where you live.

May 8, 2023 10:06 am  #8

Buy a weather radio .

May 8, 2023 10:11 am  #9

when anthony farnell's mutt, storm, leaves a puddle on the set, there's gonna be lots'a thunder & lightning

May 8, 2023 2:04 pm  #10

Where's Dave Devall when you need him?

May 8, 2023 2:06 pm  #11

Dial Twister wrote:

May 8, 2023 2:39 pm  #12

Dial Twister wrote:

Exactly! Or the late, great Bob McIntyre on CKVR.

May 10, 2023 7:31 am  #13

Do weather forecasts actually differ from station to station? I thought they all got their info from Environment Canada and all that differed was the presentation (much like reporting sport scores)

May 10, 2023 7:52 am  #14

I used to think that, too. But there seem to be subtle differences. For example, I've noticed on the 5-day forecast (or 7 depending on the station) there are often anomalies. Anthony Farnell on Global will sometimes have a shower and a very different high predicted than Lyndsey Morrison on CTV, who will have a sun icon on the same day.  

Most agree on the next 48-hours - it's the prognostication into the immediate future that's often different and sometimes in a major way. But they all get it wrong too often for my taste. 

I will say Morrison issued a sort of apology on Tuesday, explaining the smoke from a distant fire in Alberta (cue the Sanford-Townsend Band!) affected the predicted high for the day, which as a result of less sun, was lower than she announced previously. I really appreciate it when they explain the reasons why what they told us with such confidence 24 hours earlier didn't end up happening. It's rare but refreshing. 

May 10, 2023 3:09 pm  #15

Forward Power wrote:

Dial Twister wrote:

Exactly! Or the late, great Bob McIntyre on CKVR.

Don't forget about Jay Campbell from CFPL TV.