sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

May 7, 2023 2:41 pm  #1

CHFI Offers Online Radio/Music Listener Survey For A Price

Usually a radio station hires a private firm to do research on whether it's heading in the right direction. Not CHFI. The station has an unusual "promotion" on its website in the form of a survey that not only asks which radio stations you regularly listen to, but which ones are your favourites and what you think of certain songs. It's a pretty lengthy list of questions, so to entice listeners, it's offering a chance to win $100 to anyone who sticks it out to the end. 

Here are a few sample pages from the survey, which can be found here until May 12th.

One thing that makes this interesting is that it actually mentions other radio stations and asks which ones you prefer.

It then asks about what you think of a pre-arranged music mix.

And finally, the longest part of the survey, which plays a plethora of tunes and wants to know your opinion of them. 

Interesting that they would so publicly take this to the web. I wonder if they'll get the results they're looking for, 

May 7, 2023 3:05 pm  #2

Re: CHFI Offers Online Radio/Music Listener Survey For A Price

Specifically naming other stations in research is standard practice.

Rogers insourced their research about five years ago, but I've never seen them recruit through their own channels before, especially so publicly (except for surveys of current music.) The problem with that approach is you'll end up disproportionately surveying your super-fans, which is not ideal.

Last edited by RadioAaron (May 7, 2023 3:06 pm)

May 7, 2023 3:28 pm  #3

Nevermind. It's a current music survey. This has been done publicly for decades; I've just never seen the screening questions so early in the process.

May 7, 2023 3:29 pm  #4

I remember a time when the unbreakable rule was that you never mentioned the competition or another radio station in your town for any reason. At least not over the air. As far as most places were concerned, no one else existed. It was pretty stupid in a way because listeners were well aware of who was out there on their radio dial, but why give the other guy any free publicity?

I guess those days are gone.

There's a famous blooper of Bob McAdorey, then on CFTR, doing a contest to try and blunt 1050's answer your phone with "I Listen To CHUM" and win what, $1,000? They started giving away $25 if you answered "Hello." 

One morning McAdorey phoned a woman live on the air (I never did understand why they didn't tape these things) and inevitably, she answered "I listen to CHUM, good morning!" For one of the few times in his career, Mac was speechless. He then explained who he was and why she didn't win. And the lady on the phone started to laugh and said "It's kind of funny, isn't it?"

To which Bob responded, "Yeah, it's kinda funny. Where am I working next week?"

Funny to think how much things have changed in that regard. 

May 8, 2023 9:22 am  #5

I took their survey. Only recognized one of the songs in the music medley. The rest were milque-toast pablum mush tunes that would make my head explode. 24/7 Christmas music has the same effect. The medley just re-inforced why I have never listened to 98.1, and don't plan to start now.

May 8, 2023 9:49 am  #6

My guess is if you entered your age honestly at the start of the survey, they likely aren't looking at you as a listener anyway. I didn't like most of the tunes either and I suspect those results will just be thrown out, if they look at them at all.  

May 8, 2023 9:57 am  #7

RadioActive wrote:

I remember a time when the unbreakable rule was that you never mentioned the competition or another radio station in your town for any reason. At least not over the air. As far as most places were concerned, no one else existed. It was pretty stupid in a way because listeners were well aware of who was out there on their radio dial, but why give the other guy any free publicity? I guess those days are gone.

Actually, I remember around 1984 when 1050 CHUM was giving out CHUM cards for their contest giveaways they included a brief survey asking what stations you listened to, listing all of the stations in the Toronto market at the time.

Interesting too, was that Hamilton's CKOC was included in that list as well.

PJ

ClassicHitsOnline.com...The place where all the cool tunes hang out!

May 8, 2023 10:02 am  #8

Why have Lite 88.5 and Sauga 960 been left of their list of AM/FM stations listened to in a typical week, or which one do you listen to most often...  ?

May 8, 2023 10:06 am  #9

I would think they don't consider them real competition and they don't want to make the list too long. There is, however, a blank for "other" so I suppose you could list one of them there.