sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

May 1, 2023 9:38 pm  #1

Canadian folk music icon Gordon Lightfoot dead at 84

ClassicHitsOnline.com...If you enjoy hearing the same 200 songs over and over again...listen to the other guys!

May 1, 2023 9:53 pm  #2

Re: Canadian folk music icon Gordon Lightfoot dead at 84

Such sad news but not entirely unexpected. I believe he cancelled some scheduled concerts due to health issues and this was probably inevitable.

I have to admit I had a moment of deja vu when I saw the headline. Many here will remember when they declared Lightfoot dead a few number of years ago in an erroneous radio report that went halfway around the world. 

Among those who heard it - Lightfoot himself, who was listening to the radio driving up Yonge St. when the report aired. He wound up calling the station to tell them they were wrong - and that he was living proof of that statement! The story was told on an episode of Under The Influence on CBC Radio and you can read it here.

Sadly, this time, it was all too real. 

May 1, 2023 10:03 pm  #3

May 1, 2023 10:17 pm  #4

Like losing an old friend. RIP. 

May 1, 2023 10:33 pm  #5

Jim Richards had a special guest discussing Lightfoot on his nationwide Newstalk Tonight show Monday night. To my surprise, it was Alan Cross, who, of course, works for Corus and appears on their radio stations. I honestly didn't think he would consent to come on the competition. But on this occasion, that's exactly what he did. Interesting. 

His second guest also had a connection to Toronto radio - David Marsden recalled the iconic singer in an interview soon after, remembering that Lightfoot used to appear on his 60s CBC show "Music Hop." And that's how they first met. 

May 1, 2023 10:43 pm  #6

RadioActive wrote:

Jim Richards had a special guest discussing Lightfoot on his nationwide Newstalk Tonight show Monday night. To my surprise, it was Alan Cross, who, of course, works for Corus and appears on their radio stations. I honestly didn't think he would consent to come on the competition. But on this occasion, that's exactly what he did. Interesting. 

His second guest also had a connection to Toronto radio - David Marsden recalled the iconic singer in an interview soon after, remembering that Lightfoot used to appear on his 60s CBC show "Music Hop." And that's how they first met. 

and Eric Alper.

May 1, 2023 11:09 pm  #7

The liquid clarity of his voice and lyrics...and a masterful storyteller. sigh...

May 1, 2023 11:27 pm  #8

Whenever on a road trip or in Northern Ontario, Gord's Gold or Greatest Hits CD was always a favourite.  Canadian Road Trilogy and so many other classics. You don't hear Gord much on the radio anymore but a few weeks ago I heard Carefree Highway, oddly enough on Sirius XM, and the song still sounds great and fresh.  

May 2, 2023 8:58 am  #9

John Moore had prepared a brief obituary on Gordon upon hearing of his illness and cancelling shows.   1010 had it on around 8:30 even though Jerry Agar is covering and John is away until tomorrow.    I was reading some stories about Gordon on Facebook and thought this one was worth sharing.

From Gerry Stokman:

"My Gordon Lightfoot story: As a young Bell Technician, I was dispatched one morning to fix a phone line at his home in Rosedale. I arrived at his residence and when he answered the door, he refused to allow me in to diagnose the problem, and told me to fix it from outside. I guess he thought I was some starstruck fan, which I was not. I did what I thought was a great job by using a spare line leading to his house, and left. The very next day, a coworker was dispatched to his place to fix Mr. Lightfoots alarm circuit, which I'd inadvertently cut to fix the previous problem. My coworker was from Trinidad and had no fucking idea who Gordon Lightfoot was, and Gord was so taken by that fact, that he invited him back with his entire family for Christmas dinner for years after that, lol. You're welcome Rasool Lochan, wherever you are!"

Last edited by SpinningWheel (May 2, 2023 9:00 am)

May 2, 2023 9:49 am  #10

https://faroutmagazine.co.uk/the-songwriter-bob-dylan-thinks-perfect-catalogue/?amp=

A wonderful article linked above on how much Bob Dylan thought of Gordon Lightfoot and his talent.

Like a lot of 70's kids I grew up hearing Gordon Lightfoot's music all over the radio.

One of the things that I love most about the way he sang was the little quaver in his voice during some of the notes, his combination of strength and vulnerability was magic.

And he was Canadian. One of us.

Last edited by betaylored (May 2, 2023 10:06 am)

May 2, 2023 10:40 am  #11

May 2, 2023 11:18 am  #12

In his  "What Makes This Song Great" episode 94, Rick Beato does a fantastic analysis of Gord's "If You Could Read My Mind." I always loved that song, but after listening to what Beato had to say about it, I love it even more!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X33YyowZZxQ

May 2, 2023 11:53 am  #13

Has anyone else noticed that, with all the Lightfoot bumper music being played on shows to introduce segments on talk shows Tuesday, not once have I heard one of his most famous and controversial songs, "Black Day In July."

The tune, about rioting in Detroit, was banned on some stations in the late 60s.

But it's one of his most famous. Yet, I haven't heard it once all day. Is this deliberate or just a coincidence?

May 2, 2023 1:52 pm  #14

Joe Warmington of the Toronto Sun suggests Lightfoot deserves a state funeral. I'm not too sure about that, but I wonder if the feds would consider it. Would that be appropriate for a private citizen?

May 2, 2023 1:59 pm  #15

I heard Black Day in July on a TV report last night.  Unfortunately I can't remember which one.  Something that I have noticed at least this morning, the news reports seem to be dwelling on Gord's later years when he neither sounded or looked his best.  One report showed him singing Carefree Highway from a concert a few years ago, he looked sick and didn't sound anything like the song.  Poor judgement from the various newsrooms.  Show and play the songs from the man as we remember him, not from two years ago.  Also to me shows a lack of respect.  Fine to show a clip of him as he looked recently or even an interview, but please show more respect to his music and the great performer that he was.  

May 2, 2023 5:53 pm  #16

A televised concert and/or a tribute album featuring Gord Lightfoot's songs with the world's greatest musicians and singers would be brilliant, make that a double album. Perhaps the concert could happen on or around Canada Day or Labour Day weekend. 🤞🎶

May 2, 2023 5:56 pm  #17

An accomplished session musician and producer, from just across the lake in Rochester, has a lot to say about Gordon Lightfoot. The Youtube live stream was captured just a couple of hours ago.

This is a passionate display of a love for Gordon, intimate musical knowledge and love of the region most of us live in. Don't miss it. Very moving...

May 2, 2023 6:09 pm  #18

RadioActive wrote:

Has anyone else noticed that, with all the Lightfoot bumper music being played on shows to introduce segments on talk shows Tuesday, not once have I heard one of his most famous and controversial songs, "Black Day In July."

The tune, about rioting in Detroit, was banned on some stations in the late 60s.

But it's one of his most famous. Yet, I haven't heard it once all day. Is this deliberate or just a coincidence?

Here's what people chose to stream the most on Spotify
[img][/img]

May 3, 2023 8:27 am  #19

RadioActive wrote:

When "Black Day In July" was released in 1968, it never reached the "Bubbling Under" Hot 100 chart. Understandably, it received no airplay on CKLW. Locally, it peaked at #17 on the CHUM Chart.

May 3, 2023 9:20 am  #20

Black Day in July was not one of Lightfoot's big hits but was one of his better known songs as a songwriter.  Same with Canadian Railroad Trilogy, it received no radio play but is still one of his best loved songs by hard core fans.  As the spotify list above shows, most people opt for his more familiar songs that received radio play.

Dial Twister, thanks for posting that awesome video with Rick Beato.  A very nice, sincere and emotional tribute to a great singer/songwriter. A think some people forgot just how respected Lightfoot was as a writer and musician.  His records sold well but he was never at the upper echelons.  His strength was the writing, musicianship and the excellent production of his music which Rick highlights. 

I never understood why radio people would always comment how overplayed Lightfoot and Anne Murray were in the first years of cancon.  I was in radio in the 70's.  All the stations I was employed at, both Murray and Lightfoot were not played any more than other artists, either their gold hits or charted songs.  So I never understood all the overplayed comments. To me just another inaccurate cancon myth.  Or maybe some stations were just not that good at programming music.   

May 3, 2023 10:17 am  #21

paterson1 wrote:

Dial Twister, thanks for posting that awesome video with Rick Beato.  A very nice, sincere and emotional tribute to a great singer/songwriter. A think some people forgot just how respected Lightfoot was as a writer and musician.  His records sold well but he was never at the upper echelons.  His strength was the writing, musicianship and the excellent production of his music which Rick highlights. 

paterson1, it was incredible to watch that live, yesterday, as Rick Beato poured out his heart about "Gordo". Anyone here, and I do mean anyone, who hasn't watched it, please do it now. Even if you were bored playing Lightfoot over the years, watch and listen to how much he was loved and admired.

May 3, 2023 2:18 pm  #22

https://twitter.com/hockeyesque/status/1653773159529676801?t=bYKu0zEprhJDBz9AkkQ10A&s=19

Dave Bidini's book would make a terrific gift for any Gordon Lightfoot fan, and coincidentally take care of the challenge of what do you get your significant other or parents for Mother's Day and Father's Day. This book and a Gordon Lightfoot album or CD.

May 3, 2023 6:54 pm  #23

paterson1 wrote:

I never understood why radio people would always comment how overplayed Lightfoot and Anne Murray were in the first years of cancon.  I was in radio in the 70's.  All the stations I was employed at, both Murray and Lightfoot were not played any more than other artists, either their gold hits or charted songs.  So I never understood all the overplayed comments. To me just another inaccurate cancon myth.  Or maybe some stations were just not that good at programming music.   

You are correct; they were no more overplayed than the rest of the Canadian artists. A little less, actually.

Last edited by RadioAaron (May 3, 2023 6:54 pm)

May 4, 2023 8:29 am  #24

I heard the Toronto Sun's Joe Warmington suggest that Lightfoot deserves a state funeral. I thought that was a bit over the top, and it turns out that's not going to happen. Funeral arrangements for the late troubadour have been released and the Canadian singer will be laid to rest in Orillia on Sunday. 

"The public is invited to pay their respects at St. Paul's United Church on Sunday, May 7, 2023, from 1 P.M. until 8 P.M."

You also can leave online condolence messages here.

May 4, 2023 9:36 am  #25

RadioAaron wrote:

paterson1 wrote:

You are correct; they were no more overplayed than the rest of the Canadian artists. A little less, actually.

So, Canadian artists played on Canadian radio is overplay.  I can understand why we still have the regulations then...

May 16, 2023 12:51 pm  #26

Turns out he still had one last live album in him. "At Royal Albert Hall" will be released July 14th.

"Recorded live in concert in London at the prestigious Royal Albert Hall on May 24, 2016, the double album set is an unembellished mix of that night's performance, without edits, overdubs, remixing, or re-sequencing...It captures every song performed in the order they were played, right down to the encore."

Gordon Lightfoot's final album set to be released in July