sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

February 15, 2023 8:59 am  #1

Dina Pugliese

This morning, Dina Pugliese announced on BT that she is leaving the show...  last day will be Friday February 24th.

February 15, 2023 11:55 am  #4

Re: Dina Pugliese

Oh no...what will Rogers do now. 

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.

February 15, 2023 12:34 pm  #5

I hear John Tory might be available.
He can have his own "marriage advice" segment.

February 15, 2023 12:47 pm  #6

newsguy1 wrote:

I hear John Tory might be available.
He can have his own "marriage advice" segment. 

Well, that could work. He has broadcast experience and we know he always gets up early...

February 15, 2023 1:10 pm  #7

Maybe Mr. Tory will eventually end up back on Newstalk 1010 with "Live Drive" in the afternoon.  I understand his afternoon show was quite popular.  Even Bill Carroll who was up against Tory on AM640 at the time mentioned that he was quite pleased that John was running for mayor.  He said that it was good news not having to compete on the radio with John Tory. 

February 15, 2023 1:12 pm  #8

I wonder what the reaction would be given his illicit dalliance. It would be hard for him to reclaim the high road, at least in the interim, but perhaps the passage of time could escalate a return.

Would the audience accept him knowing what he's admitted to? In these politically sensitive times, I'm not so sure.  

February 15, 2023 1:35 pm  #9

after over 16 years, not getting up to go to work in the middle of the night is going to feel pretty sweet, kudos to Dina, it couldn't have been easy carrying that workload and schedule for almost two decades, and congratulations for having the wisdom and courage to leave on her own terms. ⏰📺🥂🍾

https://twitter.com/leahjohansen/status/1625839199944417280?t=8V7UCmWHgGV7wFN-lq8pGg&s=19

February 15, 2023 1:42 pm  #10

RadioActive wrote:

I wonder what the reaction would be given his illicit dalliance. It would be hard for him to reclaim the high road, at least in the interim, but perhaps the passage of time could escalate a return.

Would the audience accept him knowing what he's admitted to? In these politically sensitive times, I'm not so sure.  

Unless there is more to the story that we don't know about, I think overall history will be kind to John Tory.  There will always be the trolls who love to wallow in other's misfortune and embarrassments.  And those who live in glass houses that shouldn't be throwing rocks at anyone.  

Most Torontonians I feel understand that John is a good man and as mayor he worked very hard for the city that he obviously loves.  How can anyone really fault that?  There are a fair number of people who think he doesn't need to resign and this number could very well grow in the days ahead. 

Some don't like him because he is rich, came from a privileged background, and has been successful in business.  That is just envy and their problem, not Tory's.  If John Tory eventually comes back in some capacity in media, the vast majority of viewers/listeners won't have an issue with this at all IMHO.  

February 15, 2023 2:00 pm  #11

RadioActive wrote:

With John Tory's money, perhaps he should consider retiring so he could 'really' spend more time with his family. How badly does he need another gig? Just to stay in the very limelight that he, currently, would prefer NOT to have?

February 15, 2023 4:58 pm  #12

If this is indeed entirely her decision, good for her. You only live this life once. A lot of churn at Citytv recently. I wonder if we'll come to know years down the road that it was more of a "tap on the shoulder" situation. Her salary given her longevity there and prominence in that co-host role has got to be pretty high.

Also, I've never quite understood posters' topic-starting habits here with threads that just list a first name and last name and nothing else. On this board, that convention has come to mean they've passed away! But it doesn't tell one anything meaningful about why to click into a thread. Why not a more meaningful thread subject decision like "Dina Pugliese Leaving Breakfast Television"? In old-school journalism "slug" terminology, a slug of just a first and last name is woefully incomplete. 

February 15, 2023 5:36 pm  #13

Is it voluntary? What makes me suspicious is there's nothing in the articles saying she's staying at Rogers. We'll see in the next few months whether she's given a position at CityNews or elsewhere in the Rogers empire but given Rogers' history of axing women broadcasters once they hit a certain age and shrouding their departure in face saving claims that they are leaving "voluntarily", I remain dubious.