sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

February 4, 2023 6:43 am  #1

Reboot series

There have been a number of attempts in recent years to either reboot old TV series or continue them years or decades after they ended.

The most recent attempt is Night Court which is doing well in the ratings and seems to have captured the spirit of the original. I like what they've done with John Larroquette's character and I like the new judge character but it remains to be seen how the supporting characters pan out (and the original Night Court went through a number of cast changes in its early years). I liked Bull and Roz from the original show and their replacements are much weaker (so far) but it's probably wise to have only one returning (elderly) character rather than three (and though Night Court has never cared about believability, it's easier to believe a lawyer in his mid-70s than a bailiff.)

What are some other attempts at reviving series years later and which ones worked and which didn't?

February 4, 2023 9:35 am  #2

Re: Reboot series

Quantum Leap (2022) is bad... sometimes cringy.  Not much else to say other than that.

CSI Vegas (2021) doesn't bring back everybody at the same time and so far it's not bad.  At least I don't feel like I am hate-watching it.

February 4, 2023 11:18 am  #3

chrishch wrote:

Quantum Leap (2022) is bad... sometimes cringy.  Not much else to say other than that.

I happen to like the new Quantum Leap. A recent episode where the main character had to repeat the same day over and over again is priceless...it also aired the Monday before Ground Hog day...the writers must have had Bill Murray in their head somehow.  

Also, there was a plan to launch an all new Greatest American  Hero, but this time with a woman. That would be interesting.

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.

February 4, 2023 11:52 am  #4

Just saw an episode of "that 90's Show" and I have to say I was pleasantly surprised.
They have brought back for original Foreman family, and all the original cast look great and just pick up where they left off, albeit older.
Kurtwood Smith is just as good playing Red as he was before.
Debra Jo Rupp as Kitty and and Laura Prepon as Donna look great and Topher Grace has managed to play Foreman as an older man and now father with the same rather bewlidered charm he had before.
The new young cast members, however so far seem weak compared to the original young cast who frequented the Foreman basement.
Still it's a pretty good reboot that really does retain the original feel of "That 70s Show."

February 4, 2023 8:20 pm  #5

Let's not forget the yet-to-be-seen "Frasier" reboot, which so far only features Kelsey Grammer from the original series. The quality of that show was high right up until the end and the danger of a reboot, of course, is that it will tarnish the memory of what came before.

Case in point: the retreaded version of Murphy Brown on CBS a few years back, which utterly failed to capture the magic of the first series and was quickly cancelled. 

Speaking of Quantum Leap - it's not the first series to be reimagined with a different lead and cast. The Wonder Years is a hit on ABC, decades after the original left the air.  It's a completely different series with a mostly all Black cast, that still pays homage to its predecessor. 

It's a risky thing to do - but when it works, it's a great thing. When it doesn't, it's just plain sad. 

February 4, 2023 8:39 pm  #6

Hansa wrote:

The most recent attempt is Night Court which is doing well in the ratings and seems to have captured the spirit of the original. I like what they've done with John Larroquette's character and I like the new judge character but it remains to be seen how the supporting characters pan out (and the original Night Court went through a number of cast changes in its early years). I liked Bull and Roz from the original show and their replacements are much weaker (so far) but it's probably wise to have only one returning (elderly) character rather than three (and though Night Court has never cared about believability, it's easier to believe a lawyer in his mid-70s than a bailiff.)

Apparently, you're not the only one who likes this second coming of the show.

Night Court Renewed for Season 2

February 4, 2023 8:45 pm  #7

newsguy1 wrote:

Just saw an episode of "that 90's Show" and I have to say I was pleasantly surprised.
They have brought back for original Foreman family, and all the original cast look great and just pick up where they left off, albeit older.
Kurtwood Smith is just as good playing Red as he was before.
Debra Jo Rupp as Kitty and and Laura Prepon as Donna look great and Topher Grace has managed to play Foreman as an older man and now father with the same rather bewlidered charm he had before.
The new young cast members, however so far seem weak compared to the original young cast who frequented the Foreman basement.
Still it's a pretty good reboot that really does retain the original feel of "That 70s Show." 

Most people have mercifully forgotten about an attempt at a sort of spin-off of "That 70s Show." It was called (what else?) "That 80s Show" and it tried to introduce an entirely new generation in a new decade. To say it was short-lived is an understatement. It debuted in January 2002 on Fox and was cancelled by May.

The Untold Truth Of That '80s Show

February 5, 2023 2:09 pm  #8

Most successful sequel/continuation series: Doctor Who and Star Trek: TNG (though strictly speaking, Star Trek TNG is a spinoff since it doesn't share any regular characters with the original series)

February 6, 2023 7:58 am  #9

Bones was in the pilot and Scottie appeared in a later season.

February 6, 2023 8:57 am  #10

kosmo wrote:

Bones was in the pilot and Scottie appeared in a later season.

As guests, not regular characters. No regular characters were shared between the series.

Last edited by Hansa (February 6, 2023 8:58 am)

February 6, 2023 9:21 am  #11

A bit off topic  - but Trapper John MD has to be one of the weirdest spinoffs. About all it had in common with MASH was the name of a character. Trapper John wasn't played by Wayne Rogers (or Elliot Gould from the movie), no other character from MASH ever appears on the show and I don't think they were ever referred to other than briefly in the pilot and for legal reasons, to avoid having to pay royalties to the producers of the MASH tv show, the producers of Trapper John claimed it was a spinoff of the movie, not the TV show. (The movie's producer ended up suing and won the rights to 25% of the show's profit).

https://youtu.be/ocg7viO0cmw

In retrospect, they may have been better off giving the character another name entirely and not claiming any MASH connection.

Last edited by Hansa (February 6, 2023 9:24 am)

February 6, 2023 11:57 am  #12

Another reboot just announced last week is the animated show King of the Hill, which ran on FOX from 1997-2009. This time around it will be streaming on Hulu in the US - and I can assume Disney+ in Canada.

February 6, 2023 1:33 pm  #13

There’s a relatively new show called “Reboot” about rebooting a classic show. It’s on Disney+ here (I think). Really sharply written, 8 episodes. Critically lauded, but not renewed. Highly recommend.

Stars Paul Reiser and Keegan Michael Key and a solid ensemble.

Last edited by Holliday (February 6, 2023 1:37 pm)

February 7, 2023 3:10 pm  #14

I don't know about this one. 
Fawlty Towers set for remake starring John Cleese and his daughter

Last edited by Hansa (February 7, 2023 3:10 pm)

February 7, 2023 11:54 pm  #15

The reboot of Fantasy Island is good to have on in the background if you're tidying, folding laundry or at night if you need to get to bed on time and don't want to be in any danger of staying up late binge watching.

The show runner and writers could have done an incredible dark twist on the premise but they played it so safe, it puts the idiot in idiot box.📺

February 8, 2023 1:56 am  #16

betaylored wrote:

The reboot of Fantasy Island is good to have on in the background if you're tidying, folding laundry or at night if you need to get to bed on time and don't want to be in any danger of staying up late binge watching.

That sort of describes the 2010-2020 "Hawaii Five-O" reboot. I've never seen an episode of the original but saw a handful of the new iteration and not that bad - and it managed to last 10 seasons.

February 8, 2023 12:35 pm  #17

AspectRatio wrote:

betaylored wrote:

That sort of describes the 2010-2020 "Hawaii Five-O" reboot. I've never seen an episode of the original but saw a handful of the new iteration and not that bad - and it managed to last 10 seasons.

I loved the original 1968 series with Steve "Book Him Dano" McGarrett.  It lasted 12 seasons, 281 episodes, top 10 four seasons including #3 in 1972-73. The reboot lasted 10 seasons, as mentioned above, with 240 episodes produced. Highest ranking was #15 in season seven. One suttle difference between the two series was the original was  "Five-0", the reboot "Five-O"

February 8, 2023 2:12 pm  #18

The show didn't last long but I really loved the opening to the 2003 Dragnet reboot. 

Last edited by Hansa (February 8, 2023 2:13 pm)

February 8, 2023 2:50 pm  #19

Reboot series trailer:

Last edited by Holliday (February 8, 2023 2:51 pm)

February 10, 2023 2:16 pm  #20

February 16, 2023 6:06 pm  #21

Here we go again. They're planning to bring back Starsky & Hutch, with, of course, a politically correct twist - both detectives will now be women. 

Female 'Starsky & Hutch’ Remake in the Works at Fox

March 2, 2023 8:31 pm  #22

I've been convinced for some time that there are no original ideas left in Hollywood. The latest evidence submitted to the court: Kathy Bates being mulled for the lead role in a reboot of "Matlock," the old Andy Griffith series that ran for years on NBC and later on ABC. 

Kat Coiro To Direct & Exec Produce CBS’ ‘Matlock’ Reboot Pilot  

March 28, 2023 7:31 pm  #23

Here's another one that might be coming soon. As revealed on CBC Radio Vancouver, the creator of the X-Files says there could be a reboot of the Fox series in the works - and the guy behind it is the director of the smash hit movie "The Black Panther."

"Talking to Canadian radio show On the Coast, [creator Chris] Carter said, "I just spoke to a young man, Ryan Coogler, who is going to remount The X-Files with a diverse cast. So, he's got his work cut out for him because we covered so much territory."

The X-Files: Ryan Coogler Developing Reboot, According To Chris Carter