sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

November 3, 2022 7:24 am  #1

CTV Launching Canadian Version Of Failed U.S. Game Show

It's not often a network decides to remake a show that bombed in another country. But CTV apparently believes they can do it better. 

You may have never heard of "Generation Gap," a remake of an old game show that pits the very young against people much older, but ABC decided to try it out over the summer, featuring Kelly Ripa as host. It did not do very well and you're likely never going to see it again. 

That hasn't stopped CTV from jumping on the bandwagon, announcing a new game show called "Battle of the Generations." It will be hosted by YouTube and one-time late-night NBC star Lilly Singh and is similar to the ABC effort, although there will be more generations represented.

"Each episode of the nostalgia-packed quiz show features four contestants representing a different generation (Baby Boomer, Gen X, Millennial, and Gen Z), as they battle through multiple rounds of nostalgia-packed pop culture trivia. Whoever triumphs in this unique game of time travelling trivia enters The Vault for a chance to win a cash prize of up to $25,000."

Will it work? We may not know for a while. Production of the first of 20 episodes won't begin until next February and there's no specific airdate yet. But they're looking for contestants. You can find out how to apply and get more details here.

What's perhaps most interesting about this is that CTV is producing a game show. They used to make some very cheap ones out of their Agincourt studios in the 60s ("It's Your Move" and "All About Faces" were just two of them) but outside of CBC's current Family Feud remake, I can't think of a bigger money game show coming out of Canada in many years. It will be interesting to see how this one performs and where and when they schedule it. 

November 3, 2022 7:31 am  #2

Re: CTV Launching Canadian Version Of Failed U.S. Game Show

I actually watched one of the ABC  episodes out of curiosity. Wasn't impressed. Apparently most of America agreed with me.

November 3, 2022 8:09 am  #3

This one will be slightly different, with more generations than just Boomers vs. 9 year olds represented. But the concept is essentially the same. 

The worst part of the U.S. version, which in itself was a remake of an ancient gameshow, was how they awarded the prize. (I also watched it once and once only.) Whichever family won, it was up to the little kid, sometimes no older than 6 or 7, to choose between prizes. One was an expensive brand-new car. The other was a toy tricycle or something similar. The family wasn't allowed to tell the kid which one to pick, and very often the kid did what kids do - go for the toy, cheating the family out of a prize worth thousands and thousands of dollars. 

I hated that, although you could tell the producers thought it was cute. I think it might eventually scar the kid for life when they get older and realize what they did. Anyway, just my reaction. I hope the Canadian version does not repeat that mistake.

November 3, 2022 8:17 am  #4

Don't forget the short-lived Generation Gap that YTV ran in the late '80s and into the early '90s... hosted by Jeff Rechner.

November 3, 2022 10:25 am  #5

Canada has had a strange relationship with TV game shows. For years, whether out of legal restrictions on how much they could give away or just plain cheapness (or more likely both) terrible prizes were the main feature of all of them. 

They were made with a minimum of dollars spent, looked cheap and had prizes that were chintzy in comparison to their U.S. counterparts. I seem to recall a government edict that wouldn't allow game shows to give away anything above a certain dollar threshold. So while Canadians were watching Monty Hall reveal cars and trips behind Door #2 on "Let's Make A Deal" down south, Canucks were watching their home grown shows handing out grand prizes like a new mattress. 

As a kid, I once went to a taping of an obscure Canadian TV show called "All About Faces." The premise of the game was that crews went out to film ordinary people put in strange situations (like Candid Camera) and they'd then freeze the face of the person, asking contestants to guess by their expressions what they would do next. They'd then play the rest of the tape, revealing what happened. 

I still remember to this day a floor director trying to whip up excitement in the audience, attempting to get people to go "Oooh!" and "Ahhh!" when they revealed the big prize of a mattress to the winner. It was absurd then and it's downright laughable now. 

But that's nothing compared to what CHCH was turning out in nearby Hamilton. Their budgets were almost non-existent. They did a show called "It's A Match" that I used to watch on my lunch break from school. It was hosted by Jack Barry, a well-known U.S. host who was fleeing from the game show scandals down south and was looking to make a living when he was blacklisted for a time down there. 

It was a memory game and I still recall their all-time champ, a local school teacher named Rocky Sankoff who had a photographic memory. He was on the show for months on end, and no one could defeat him. One day, Barry asked him the same question he had at the end of every show - "are you coming back tomorrow?" 

He stunned the host and viewers by saying, "No Jack, I think I'll retire undefeated and give someone else a chance."  And how much did he walk away with after so many months of winning? A grand total of $64. Yes, Sixty-four bucks. Now THAT'S cheap!

Fortunately, things have improved over the years and the new show CTV is planning will give away a share of $25,000, which is at least respectable. But it wasn't always that way. 

November 3, 2022 10:36 am  #6

Canadian game show prizes always seemed to be small, but useful household appliances like an electric can opener! A grand prize might be a set of American Tourister luggage.

November 3, 2022 4:50 pm  #7

Typical, spinning negative on a new Canadian program before it even airs.  Oh, and the inaccurate post headline was from our moderator, who hates Canadian programming and most things from this country. What a surprise!!  

By the way, Generation Gap with Kelly Ripa did not bomb on ABC.  Generation Gap was on ABC for 9 weeks during the summer. Four of the 9 programs rated with over 3 million viewers and all of the rest at over 2.5 million. The show has neither been renewed or cancelled for a second season so far.  Have you seen ABC's prime time ratings?

Last night for example, Home Economics had 2 million viewers, Abbott Elementary 2.6 million (supposedly a hit show for ABC)  and Big Sky 2.2 million.  The only show that approached Generation Gaps best rating of 3.85 million was the Connors last night with 3.7 million.  So in fact Generation Gap did not "bomb" this past summer.  Imagine.. summer programming getting better numbers than the big fall season, who knew? 

CTV's show has different rules and a different name by the way.  But hey, please don't the facts get into a good anti-Canadian rant. 

November 3, 2022 5:05 pm  #8

Yes, I thought I would hear from you on this. Despite your spirited defence, Generation Gap did not do well and if I recall correctly, will not be back next summer.

As I noted in my post, the CTV version is a bit different, with other age groups included, but it's essentially the same idea - ask trivia or other questions to one generation about the music, TV shows or tech from another. 

At least it sounds like they won't have the idiotic prize awarding nonsense of its American counterpart. It was meant to be cute but came off as cringeworthy and a bit exploitive of young children.  

I hope it works in Canada. The ABC version was decried by critics and after viewing an episode or two, I'm sorry to say they weren't wrong. This was not an especially good show and summer ratings are virtually meaningless. The fact they burned it off in summer proves that it wasn't highly regarded by the network, which still does air some game shows in primetime in the fall (mostly on Sunday nights.) 

This generation had a big gap - it wasn't entertaining. Maybe the producers in Canada will do it better. We'll have to wait and see. 

November 3, 2022 5:27 pm  #9

Well according to TV Series Finale as of today Generation Gap has neither been cancelled or renewed by ABC. It coming back next summer is irrelevant, they could bring it back in the spring or, summer or next fall.  

I never said anything about the show being good or not, but it did not bomb as you say.  And it is a different show than CTV's so that's why I took you to task about your typically negative spin of anything Canadian. CTV's Battle of the Generations show might turn out to be dreadful, but let's give it a chance before passing judgement, and typically negative spin.

If summer ratings are meaningless as you say, then that holds true for the fall?  Like it or not Generation Gap had better ratings than ABC's Wednesday fall programming last night.  All shows last evening were also new, no repeats. 

November 3, 2022 5:33 pm  #10

You can't compare summer ratings to those in the fall. The competition on other networks is far less, the shows are generally cheaper game shows or reality based and they would never stand a chance against the kind of regular series that are airing right now.

People come in when it gets cold and watch more TV. Summer television viewing draws, by virtue of good weather, a lot fewer eyeballs. 

If some of the networks drew lower numbers last night than "Gap" did, it could be what was on against it - the first and only combined no hitter in World Series history. I suspect that took a bite out of the competition. Generation Gap did not face that juggernaut. So the comparison is really meaningless.

November 3, 2022 6:27 pm  #11

ABC so far this fall has had terrible prime time ratings. The new season thus far is not really attracting more eyeballs.  Last Thursday evening at 9pm (same timeslot as Generation Gap) final numbers for Greys Anatomy came in at 3.48 million and this was for a new show.  Generation Gap over the nine weeks in the summer had 3.05 million viewers, with the highest week at 3.85 million. 

But you didn't address my main concern why you always opt to go with negative comments with any Canadian programming or many things Canadian?  Being the moderator I would think you would be more balanced and not automatically try to give the impression that a show is inferior or poor before it is even produced or gets to air.

And of course we need to read another rant about how terrible and cheap Canadian game shows from 50 years ago were. Many of them were, some even laughable, but some were popular regardless of the cheap prizes.  If the audience liked and watched shows like Definition, Party Game, Cash Cab, Front Page Challenge, Flashback, Amazing Race Canada, or Test Pattern their cheapness or the fact they were Canadian produced doesn't really matter. 

November 3, 2022 7:18 pm  #12

I have no problem with Canadian shows, despite your opinion to the contrary. Some of them are terrible, some are OK. I happen to have grown fond of Transplant, as an example, and DVR it every Friday (although it's interrupted this week.) 

Canadian game shows were popular with some here and that's fine. But there's no doubting they were done on the cheap. I cited two examples, including one I was at the taping for. That doesn't mean people didn't watch them, although I have no idea why they did. 

Things have vastly improved over the years, with technology evolving making them a lot cheaper to produce than they used to be. But there is still a "Canadian" inferiority to some - not all - of them that comes through. Canada is a much smaller country than the U.S. population wise. We can't afford to spend a fortune per episode like they do down south, and while it's not as bad as it used to be, it's still there. 

Our budgets are different. And that shows on screen in too many cases. Not as much as it used to, but it's still there. Sorry you don't agree. And being the moderator doesn't mean I have to boost shows I don't like or I'm not entitled to an opinion. I'd rather be honest than disingenuous. 

I was raised on U.S. TV. I have an admitted bias towards it. That doesn't make me right and you wrong. It's just my opinion. Yours is different. That's what makes the board so vibrant. And I won't apologize for that. 

November 3, 2022 10:19 pm  #13

"I have no problem with Canadian shows..."  Hahaha....yeah sure.  Your many posts over the years, even above prove otherwise. 

It usually seems to be beyond your opinion but rather a genuine dislike of domestic programming or any of the companies that produce them.  Doesn't matter if it is Bell or Rogers or CBC even independent you normally seem to have already decided that the show or the idea of the show is pointless. 

The gist of this post at the beginning seemed to be why would CTV copy a show that already bombed in the US?  So right from the get go the heading is wrong and misleading, and you do this all the time. 

The ABC program and the CTV offering might be similar but the rules and formats are different, the name of the program is different.  And the US Generation Gap actually didn't bomb as you said.  Shows like this have been done for decades.  

Who said you should apologize?   However it would be nice for a change if you were actually more sensible in your initial comments, rather than the usual predictable biased remarks.

Last edited by paterson1 (November 3, 2022 10:22 pm)

November 4, 2022 1:15 am  #14

It is very stupid to be leaving the final decision with the youngest child in the first place after all that effort made to get so far in the game. 
I watched once and never again.  Too stupid. 

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.

November 4, 2022 8:20 am  #15

Someone did an interesting history of Canadian game shows. Apparently two producers who were basically unemployable in the US due to the 1950s quiz show scandal came up to Canada to produce game shows in the 60s.

https://youtu.be/D1wS8l_ztE8

Last edited by Hansa (November 4, 2022 8:22 am)

November 4, 2022 8:23 am  #16

I believe that was Jack Barry and Dan Enright, who were fleeing the game show scandals in the U.S. 

They survived and later returned to the small screen in the U.S., finding success all over again with shows like "The Joker's Wild." 

The journey from one country to another is traced in a Wikipedia entry, which states that Barry never actually lived here, but commuted from L.A. to shoot his shows here. That is some commute! It explains that with his finances in near ruins, he managed to buy a radio station in L.A., figuring if the FCC was willing to give him a licence, it would show he was still legit. 

More here.

Oh and just to bring us full circle, Barry briefly took over an ABC game show from another host in 1969. The show? Generation Gap. 

Last edited by RadioActive (November 4, 2022 8:27 am)

November 7, 2022 2:31 am  #17

Many many moons ago (mid 80's), during our yearly trip from NW Ontario to Toronto, somehow convinced my Mom to take me all the way out to CFTO (which seemed like a 2 hour subway ride and then transfers to 13 different busses from downtown) to see a taping of a game show. Wish I could remember which one.  It was March but wouldn't air until that October - so when it came to revealing what the contestant won - it was silence because they didn't know what they'd be giving away until later in the year!
Same thing, floor director had us acting like they had just won a gazillion dollars when they came back from the insert.  If I recall correctly, when it finally aired, it was a set of cookbooks!   
But I did get to see myself in the audience for 2 seconds, and was "famous" at school for a day.    LOL