sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

October 7, 2022 3:39 pm  #1

Patricia Jaggernauth files human rights complaint against Bell Media

October 7, 2022 5:36 pm  #2

Re: Patricia Jaggernauth files human rights complaint against Bell Media

October 7, 2022 6:19 pm  #3

To their credit, this story was reported on CTV's 6 PM newscast on Friday, which actually was a bit of a surprise.

October 8, 2022 9:21 am  #4

More from Broadcast Dialogue.  Interesting to note that Patricia won an Emmy award in 2008. 
https://broadcastdialogue.com/cp24-host-patricia-jaggernauth-files-human-rights-complaint-against-bell-media/

October 8, 2022 12:47 pm  #5

I've next to no specific knowledge of Patricia Jaggernauth's body of work, nor can comment on if she was at the ceiling of her capability or capable of much loftier position .. 

But who the heck stays with a company for 11+ years when they continually are not getting the positions they seek nor being treated in what they deem a fair manner .. geez, when's it time to admit it's not a fit & move on.

My son went thru vague implications that his contract position would lead to a full time position.  This song & dance went on for 2-3 years; he had enough of the waffling & moved on .. to a full time role elsewhere.

Last edited by g121 (October 8, 2022 1:15 pm)

October 8, 2022 1:38 pm  #6

I don't know if there's racism and sexism here or if just generally poor treatment of employees but either this is a bad look for Bell and the media industry generally. Unfortunately we've seen a move generally to increasingly precarious work.

October 8, 2022 2:17 pm  #7

was not racism she was good enough to fill in but not to invest in.  far from unique in the industry.  

October 8, 2022 2:22 pm  #8

I don't know anything about Patricia's case either but at the least the company should have indicated to her why she was being passed over consistently and not offered any full time work.  I thought she was great doing the weather, always friendly, upbeat and positive.  I am sure Patricia is likely popular with viewers and most employers normally coach part timers what to do to get full time work or increase their chances of promotion. 

In terms of her moving on, that is sometimes easier said than done.  There hasn't exactly been a lot available in the industry over the past 3 or 4 years. And for Bell to not offer any full time employment and feel they have the right to approve any other part time work she can find AND still have her on call most of the time is a bit much. Sounds like the demand of management approving any other part time work was the last straw. 

There is always two sides to any story and it will be interesting to see if Bell provides any information.  But right now  from the sidelines it looks like Ms. Jaggernauth has the ball and in control. 

October 8, 2022 3:40 pm  #9

Mr.Aldred wrote:

was not racism she was good enough to fill in but not to invest in.  far from unique in the industry.  

You don't have enough information to know whether it was racism or not. 

October 10, 2022 7:17 pm  #10

October 10, 2022 10:07 pm  #11

She has retained the same legal counsel from Levitt Sheikh that Jamil Jivani has. A woman named Kathryn Marshall. I would think the two complaints can only compel Bell Media to seek a quiet resolution. Does money make a human rights complaint go away?

October 11, 2022 7:38 am  #12

I’m not downplaying her allegations, but I feel her comments and claims are a bit of a head scratcher. Especially the one where she compared the salaries of the workers in the weather department and how she made “significantly less” than her two male counterparts. Looking at the weather staff, the two male employees she speaks of are Meteorologists, so it would make perfect sense that they are paid more.

October 11, 2022 8:57 am  #13

I'm constantly amazed at how people who " aren't downplaying her allegations " or " don't know anything about ( blank)'s case" still find it in their hearts to make a comment. I'm really not specifically calling anyone out in this thread; I just think everyone having to have an opinion, knowledgeable or not, is one of the reasons we're so polarized today. 

October 11, 2022 10:48 am  #14

Rune wrote:

I'm constantly amazed at how people who " aren't downplaying her allegations " or " don't know anything about ( blank)'s case" still find it in their hearts to make a comment. I'm really not specifically calling anyone out in this thread; I just think everyone having to have an opinion, knowledgeable or not, is one of the reasons we're so polarized today. 

Well, without people chiming in by making posts on a forum like this, the forum dies pretty quickly and becomes a ghost town. I agree people shouldn't rush to judgement, but the life force in a venue such as this is the exchange of ideas and opinions.

Last edited by AspectRatio (October 11, 2022 10:49 am)

October 11, 2022 11:10 am  #15

I don't think making a comment is the issue...   It's the flat out "it's not racism" statements without first hand knowledge of what is going on behind the camera is the issue.    I'm not sure if you have noticed but CP24 has been moving to a mainly white on air appearance, that in my opinion supports her claim.    They have lost many of their hosts of colour as of late.   There is a bigger story here possibly.    I'm not going to judge statements made in the case, until it's proven either way, but on the surface....  I do wonder of her statements are true. 

Bell has a major PR issue going on here...   They are not getting in front of this at all, and really are doing little but try to cover up statements made by former staffers.    Just saying it isn't happening, doesn't mean it isn't. 

Last edited by radiokid (October 11, 2022 11:19 am)

October 11, 2022 7:39 pm  #16

If her claims are true, then more power to her. My concerns for her future, however, would be in her next job in broadcasting. Unless she can definitively prove her claims (and even then) I can't help but wonder what other station or organization would hire her. 

Would you want to take the chance of similar allegations occurring at your shop if this should crop up again? I hope she finds justice if it's merited, but I can't help but wonder if her broadcasting career is over as a result of this complaint. That is the chance she's taking.