sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

September 2, 2022 7:27 pm  #1

CRTC Chair Ian Scott's Term Has Ended. So Why Is He Still In Charge?

The answer seems to be that he's staying on until the feds can find a candidate who fills all the requirements to become the next CRTC chair. But as the linked article below points out, that may be an almost impossible task. Generally, someone with broadcasting or telecom experience is chosen. But the government also claims it wants the Commission to be more "consumer friendly," something Scott has proven he most definitely is not.

Finding someone with that background who wouldn't be beholden to the major corporations like Rogers or Bell, which own most of the TV and radio stations, as well as the cell phone/Internet firms in this country, while keeping the thoughts of consumers uppermost in his/her mind, is almost an oxymoron. 

How long Scott will remain at the helm is an open question. The new person, whoever it is, will have quite a battle on their hands, especially if the dreaded Bill C-11, designed to give the CRTC power to oversee Internet content, passes through the Senate. 

The government insists it's simply designed to promote Canandian content on the web and root out hateful opinions. But critics - some of them former CRTC Commissioners themselves - fear it will simply allow this or any future governments to silence the opinions of those they don't like. And they've pointed out repeatedly no other Western democracy on the planet has ever given their rulers that power. 

One thing is certain, though - the search for the right person for the job could take a while. The other certainty is that Scott - a former telecom lobbyist who always seems to have favoured his old cronies in Commission rulings against consumers - was never that "right person." Let's hope whoever decides picks a lot better this time. 

Government to extend Ian Scott’s term as CRTC chairman while they look for replacement  

Alternate link:
https://clearthis.page/?u=https://nationalpost.com/news/politics/government-to-extend-ian-scotts-term-as-crtc-chairman-while-they-look-for-replacement

September 2, 2022 10:11 pm  #2

Re: CRTC Chair Ian Scott's Term Has Ended. So Why Is He Still In Charge?

Maybe Lisa LaFlamme could give the role a shot.

September 2, 2022 11:32 pm  #3

Perhaps Bell and Rogers feel they haven't gotten their money's worth yet so Scott has to stay on a bit longer? 

September 3, 2022 1:58 am  #4

AspectRatio wrote:

Maybe Lisa LaFlamme could give the role a shot.

I agree. Someone who took the time to be in this business already should be handed this job.
Lisa would be perfect. I trust she won't forget where she came from... (but that's radio/TV...hopefully she'd also do good to help the internet/TV/Cell paying customers also.)

Or is this job reserved strictly for anyone willing to only help Rogers/Bell/Telus/Quebecor?

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.

September 3, 2022 2:31 am  #5

I have appeared before the CRTC many times. Didn't always win but I have always respected the Commission. Over the past few years, that respect has dwindled. And I think many agree. 

I have many ideas - including how to make the CanCon rules work much more effectively. :-)

I've done a lot of radio. A lot of TV. And a lot of Internet. And I've talked on the phone. So Mr. T call me lets talk...cause we all know you read this board every day....

Last edited by Marsden (September 3, 2022 6:59 am)

September 3, 2022 5:09 am  #6

Marsden wrote:

I have appeared before the CRTC many times. Didn't always win but I have always respected the Commission. Over the past few years, that respect has dwindled. And I think many agree. 

I have many ideas - including how to make the CanCon rules work much more effectively. :-)

I've done a lot of radio. A lot of TV. And a lot of Internet. And I've talked on the phone. So Mr. T call me lets talk...cause we all know you read this board every day....

david.marsden@soundtransmission.ca

Mr. Marsden, respectfully, the concern is also that it is always so important to protect the music, but never the Canadian radio announcers that present or work with it. 
It's time for new regulation that forces the removal of John Tesh in favour of a Canadian voice. 
(would like live but not gonna push it...VT'd will have to do)

ENOUGH "According to USA Today..." Time for some Canadian infotainment or whatever...

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.

September 3, 2022 7:05 am  #7

Radiowiz wrote:

Marsden wrote:

david.marsden@soundtransmission.ca

Mr. Marsden, respectfully, the concern is also that it is always so important to protect the music, but never the Canadian radio announcers that present or work with it. 
It's time for new regulation that forces the removal of John Tesh in favour of a Canadian voice. 
(would like live but not gonna push it...VT'd will have to do)

ENOUGH "According to USA Today..." Time for some Canadian infotainment or whatever...

We are on the same page here. No disagreement. The pile needing new direction and new ideas is just one of the parts of the whole fix. But I'm not going to detail thoughts here as there is too much needing examination and perhaps correction. Very few read long posts. :-) 

September 3, 2022 7:41 am  #8

Radiowiz wrote:

[I agree. Someone who took the time to be in this business already should be handed this job.
Lisa would be perfect. I trust she won't forget where she came from... (but that's radio/TV...hopefully she'd also do good to help the internet/TV/Cell paying customers also.) 

Well, I was actually being tongue-in-cheek - LaFlamme might be looking for a role to reinvent herself for.

That said, you raise some good points even if I wasn't joking.

September 3, 2022 4:39 pm  #9

:-) It would seem that I am not that sharp at 6:30 in the morning. Tongue in cheek I now see. :-) And thanks....

September 4, 2022 7:46 am  #10

Word has it his term is extended to January 4, 2023