sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

July 12, 2022 2:05 pm  #1

Rogers being sued for "gross negligence"

https://mobilesyrup.com/2022/07/12/rogers-class-action-july-8-outage/

Not surprised this originates from Quebec.

Will it have "legs" tho...

Last edited by betaylored (July 12, 2022 2:07 pm)

July 12, 2022 3:34 pm  #2

Re: Rogers being sued for "gross negligence"

As with all matters legal, the lawsuit will need to have a way to monetize damages and that these damages were mitigated.  That may be more easy for companies like Interac who can compare transaction volumes but for individuals it will be tougher, though not impossible.

July 12, 2022 5:51 pm  #3

So now it's up to five days credit, instead of just two. Oh boy! An extra $20 - 30 in your pocket!

Rogers customers are outraged, but will they really leave? Company offers five days’ credit ‘as a first step’

July 12, 2022 6:23 pm  #4

I listened to Cross Country Checkup on Sunday and the program was on the Rogers outage.  It didn't really sound like many of the Rogers customers who called in were actually considering cancelling their service.  Maybe as things fester, more will consider a cut.   Friends I have talked to however, none have said they were going to leave. 

July 12, 2022 8:41 pm  #5

paterson1 wrote:

It didn't really sound like many of the Rogers customers who called in were actually considering cancelling their service.  Maybe as things fester, more will consider a cut.   Friends I have talked to however, none have said they were going to leave. 

There's also the theory that this incident would spur increased network architectural review, redundancy, increased co-operation with vendors and any equipment that exhibited the issue within Rogers, and the "fallout" of bad PR, lawsuits, etc. is incredibly high incentive to work on this so that a repeat of the issue is not likely. Therefore, the theory goes, wouldn't one want to remain with a provider who was giving this attention to detail to rectifying a previous point-of-failure?

July 13, 2022 11:18 am  #6

I have been a Rogers customer for 30 years and have had pretty reliable service from them. Any problems have generally been resolved in a timely manner. One of my concerns from July 8th was Ignite customers were totally blacked out. I still have legacy/digital cable and was still able to view local and basic cable channels. I am good until next March. Eventually, legacy cable will be gone. When it does, with what happened last Friday, I may be gone as a Rogers customer as well.

July 13, 2022 11:34 am  #7

Not sure if this is true, so I add this with that caveat. But I heard a caller on one of the talk shows Wednesday morning say both Bell and Telus have jumped on the "hate Rogers" bandwagon, by offering special sign-ups, with no extra added fees for switching or joining and special deals for would-be former Rogers customers. 

If that's true - and it sounds like something they'd do - it's a quick reaction and a clever marketing ploy that would surely get a "Touchdown" from Bob Reid on CFRB's weekly "Touchdowns & Fumbles" segment.

July 13, 2022 12:19 pm  #8

As a small biz owner, I'm always shopping around for 2 cell plans and Internet,  Nobody has been able to beat the rate I get from Rogers so far.  Love them or hate them, I go where it's cheapest for my specific needs.

July 13, 2022 2:10 pm  #9

RadioActive wrote:

Not sure if this is true, so I add this with that caveat. But I heard a caller on one of the talk shows Wednesday morning say both Bell and Telus have jumped on the "hate Rogers" bandwagon, by offering special sign-ups, with no extra added fees for switching or joining and special deals for would-be former Rogers customers. 

If that's true - and it sounds like something they'd do - it's a quick reaction and a clever marketing ploy that would surely get a "Touchdown" from Bob Reid on CFRB's weekly "Touchdowns & Fumbles" segment.

Don't know about Telus but Bell does this all the time.  When I moved from Rogers to Bell years ago, it was a special deal for three years, no strings attached, could cancel at anytime with no penalty, and I don't recall any sign up fee.  Things did change after the three years though. Overall I like Bell but I don't like having to threaten them every six months to get the rate down. They always try to hold the rate but want to give you something free, a bunch of features I don't want, or more channels or movies at "no charge".   All I want is a better rate, not more channels. 

July 13, 2022 3:01 pm  #10

July 13, 2022 5:45 pm  #11

Pretty sure the zillion pages of papers you have to sign before you get service, allows them deny any wrongdoing.

- Not an industry person.  Just a guy with a love of Toronto radio.