sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

June 7, 2022 6:40 pm  #1

US networks to air January 6 hearings

Everyone except FOX that is. I assume CBC and CTV News channels will cover this live. 

https://www.theguardian.com/media/2022/jun/07/fox-news-tucker-carlson-public-capitol-attack-jan-6-hearings

June 7, 2022 8:57 pm  #2

Re: US networks to air January 6 hearings

I find it fascinating that these will air in prime time. The Watergate hearings were on during the day. (Remember Sen. Sam Ervin and his infamous moving eyebrows?)  So were all the conferences surrounding the Clinton-Lewinsky Impeachment trial. 

This belongs at a time when more can watch it, but I've never heard of one of these being held so late at night. Interesting, important and an appropriate choice. But the Associated Press wonders the following in its headline: 

An infamous day. A search for answers. Will America tune in?

I guess we'll find out soon.

June 8, 2022 8:07 am  #3

I remember the Watergate hearings well. Because all three networks covered them, there were no afternoon soaps being aired. My mom, and probably many more across North America, were not pleased about this. The networks then decided that the wall to wall coverage would rotate on a daily basis between them. The other two networks could then run their regular daytime schedules.

June 9, 2022 9:14 pm  #4

CBC News channel cut out at 9pm. 

June 9, 2022 10:04 pm  #5

Yeah, CBC cut out at 9pm but continued online.  By nine o'clock, however, there was already enough evidence proving that Trump should be in Crowbar Hotel for a long, long time.  

June 9, 2022 10:11 pm  #6

Radio Bob wrote:

Yeah, CBC cut out at 9pm but continued online.  By nine o'clock, however, there was already enough evidence proving that Trump should be in Crowbar Hotel for a long, long time.  

From your lips to God's ear.

June 9, 2022 11:40 pm  #7

RadioActive wrote:

I find it fascinating that these will air in prime time. The Watergate hearings were on during the day. (Remember Sen. Sam Ervin and his infamous moving eyebrows?)  So were all the conferences surrounding the Clinton-Lewinsky Impeachment trial. 

This belongs at a time when more can watch it, but I've never heard of one of these being held so late at night. Interesting, important and an appropriate choice. But the Associated Press wonders the following in its headline: 

An infamous day. A search for answers. Will America tune in?

I guess we'll find out soon.

I remember WNED re-playing the hearings beginning at 8 p.m. weeknights in 1973. We watched every night.

Last edited by Dale Patterson (June 9, 2022 11:41 pm)

"Life without echo is really no life at all." - Dan Ingram

June 9, 2022 11:59 pm  #8

So did FOX gain a boost in ratings due to a lack of choice in television programming? 

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.

June 10, 2022 9:43 am  #9

The Fox affiliate in Detroit had the hearing on live last night.  Fox News Channel, the most popular news network in the US opted to have a running critique of the proceedings with Tucker Carlson and Sean Hannity. Fox News Channel went with the commentary and opinion rather than showing the proceedings live.   They were the only major news network not to show the hearing live and unfiltered.  ...https://www.npr.org/2022/06/10/1104116455/fox-news-jan-6-hearing

June 10, 2022 10:59 am  #10

paterson1 wrote:

The Fox affiliate in Detroit had the hearing on live last night.  Fox News Channel, the most popular news network in the US opted to have a running critique of the proceedings with Tucker Carlson and Sean Hannity. Fox News Channel went with the commentary and opinion rather than showing the proceedings live.   They were the only major news network not to show the hearing live and unfiltered.  ...https://www.npr.org/2022/06/10/1104116455/fox-news-jan-6-hearing

The FOX station in Boston also aired coverage of the hearings presented by FOX's national news team in Washington (which was originally being aired on FOX Business Network). The station also ran a crawl saying they "made the decision" to air the hearings on their station.

June 10, 2022 12:59 pm  #11

paterson1 wrote:

Saying Fox News Channel is a major news network is a bit of a stretch... it's a news network in name only, it's really a talk/ opinion channel. I have tried to watch it while in the US but just can't stomach it. The Trump cult seems to lap it up though... anyone have enough Kool Aid for them? 

June 10, 2022 1:06 pm  #12

zed wrote:

paterson1 wrote:

Saying Fox News Channel is a major news network is a bit of a stretch... it's a news network in name only, it's really a talk/ opinion channel. I have tried to watch it while in the US but just can't stomach it. The Trump cult seems to lap it up though... anyone have enough Kool Aid for them? 

The hypocrisy of the people doing the on-air opinion shows is simply mind boggling.

June 10, 2022 1:50 pm  #13

If the world hasn't completely gone to shit by then...in 100 years from now we'll look back at the Foxs, Newsmaxs, InfoWars, Sun and Post Medias and Rebel News' at this time and realize how fucked up we let their owning overlords completely destroy our trust in each other and our overall way of life....all for their agendas of control and greed....

June 10, 2022 2:54 pm  #14

Johnny B wrote:

If the world hasn't completely gone to shit by then...in 100 years from now we'll look back at the Foxs, Newsmaxs, InfoWars, Sun and Post Medias and Rebel News' at this time and realize how fucked up we let their owning overlords completely destroy our trust in each other and our overall way of life....all for their agendas of control and greed....

Could what you said be any more accurate? The answer is no.

One major negative contributor to the danger Western democracies find themselves in is none other that Rupert Murdoch, who manages to poison the well no matter which country he sets up business in. I hope he brags about all the money he makes when he approaches the Pearly Gates. NOTE: He ain't getting through those gates.

June 10, 2022 7:34 pm  #15

Johnny B wrote:

Wow. So much for an outlet for those of us with differing (small-c conservative) opinions.

As one of the 63 million Trump voters in his election and the 74 million Trump voters in his defeat, I encourage you to watch and engage in the outlet that serves you best.

I ask of you the same privilege.

Dial Twister wrote:

One major negative contributor to the danger Western democracies find themselves in is none other that Rupert Murdoch, who manages to poison the well no matter which country he sets up business in. I hope he brags about all the money he makes when he approaches the Pearly Gates. NOTE: He ain't getting through those gates. 

Rupert Murdoch wouldn't make a penny if there were not a market for what he peddles. In the US, FoxNews typically outdraws the two left-leaning cable channels combined.

I guess there will be a lot of us not making it through.

June 10, 2022 7:58 pm  #16

Who is Ray Epps ?

June 10, 2022 8:21 pm  #17

OK, that last post (which I had to delete it was so filled with understandable but extremely vitriolic explosive anger) has forced me to step in, which as you know, I only do very reluctantly and almost never have before. But when you wish someone AIDS and death, that has to be over the line.

There was always a danger that this would explode into rage on both sides and I'm sorry to see it has. It's understandable. It's a pivotal moment in a very divided time in our history. 

I'm also not a fan of the former president, but this doesn't really belong here, although I get the anger. This thread started as a discussion of the primetime special on most of the networks - except one. That was broadcast related. It no longer is. So I'm going to call a halt to this thread for now, in the hopes cooler heads will prevail on both sides. 

We're not going to solve this here in any case. The fact it's not the place to do it only makes it more appropriate for a time out. So to the poster - I get why you're mad. I hope you'll respect why that last post had to go. But you're welcome here anytime and I enjoy all of your other points.