sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

March 27, 2022 9:53 pm  #1

RadioActive is Hot, Hot, Hot

Having been in broadcasting for 58 years now, and having worked in Edmonton, Toronto, New York, London and Los Angeles, I've seen and experienced a whole helluva lot and had an incredible amount of fun.. 

So, not much impresses me. 

But over the past few years, I've been constantly impressed with our humble moderator RadioActive and the SOWNY site.  While it was Dale Patterson who originally created this site and Dale did a fantastic job, but RadioActive has taken it to a totally different level.  He's a broadcasting veteran who has his finger on the pulse of what's going on in the industry as much, if not more so, than anyone else.

So, I just want to acknowledge his amazing efforts and gave a GIGANTIC "Hooray For RadioActive".   

Last edited by Doug Thompson (March 28, 2022 12:12 pm)

March 27, 2022 10:39 pm  #2

Re: RadioActive is Hot, Hot, Hot

I agree. Whether he's whipping up amazingly awesome alliteration, just having pun, breaking local radio developments, dissecting the latest awful spots or sharing neat nostalgic info plus the latest entertainment stories, RadioActive is the engine that keeps the big yellow board running and always interesting, thanks RA!
👏👏👏😁🎙️📻📺✨

March 27, 2022 10:43 pm  #3

"Hooray To RadioActive".   

March 27, 2022 11:30 pm  #4

Ah, you guys! Is there a blushing emoji? That's very kind of you and I will admit I spend far too much time on this thing than is probably healthy for a normal person. But then nobody ever said I was a normal person!

In case you don't know the story of how I came to be occupying this spot, it was back in 2018 or so when moderator Iain Grant told me he didn't have time for it anymore. He asked me to take over or else he was going to shut it down. Despite a lot of advice from people who told me to run in the other direction as fast as possible, I said yes and here we are all these years later. 

Anyway, thanks Doug and all the posters who contribute here. In my mind they are the real stars of Big Yella. But I will accept on their behalf. Without them, I'm basically talking to myself. (And even I don't want to listen to that!) So if you've ever posted a topic or replied or even read one of these sometimes offbeat messages, I thank you for sharing your thoughts on SOWNY, as the beat goes on.

Does that make it like SOWNY & Share?

March 28, 2022 7:01 am  #5

I am very happy I found this site.  Very informative and keeps me in the loop!

March 28, 2022 7:47 am  #6

John Gallagher was a semi-regular customer at the grocery store where I am employed. Knowing I was a radio geek, he recommended the SOWNY site. I have learned so much in the seven years since registering as a contributor from the comings and goings of industry employees to the vast technical side of broadcasting. It is the second site I visit every morning. [After the Sunshine Girl] RA has kept this site as finely tuned as a vintage radio!

March 28, 2022 8:13 am  #7

Doug Thompson wrote:

I just want to acknowledge his amazing efforts and gave a GIGANTIC "Hooray To RadioActive".   

Agreed.  Two thumbs up for RA !   

March 28, 2022 9:00 am  #8

RA has been a tremendous moderator - by far the best this board has ever had. He's also one of the reasons Rock Radio Scrapbook exists. His encouragement spurred me to found the site in 1996. He's also a great guy who knows radio inside out and backwards and has more airchecks and memorabilia than the law should allow. Bravo, Mr. RA!

Last edited by Dale Patterson (March 28, 2022 9:02 am)

"Life without echo is really no life at all." - Dan Ingram

March 28, 2022 9:28 am  #9

Three cheers to RA and SOWNY...HIP HIP HOORAY!!  

March 28, 2022 11:17 am  #10

RA is the man.  He's bright, witty and keeps us on course.

March 28, 2022 12:16 pm  #11

Hey Doug - you've done it again. Recognizing where the strength of something is, and giving a round of applause. 

And as for RadioActive - you are spot on. After not spending much time visiting the SOWNY Board, I returned. Oh my! Those daily visits show the difference and improvement. It is so very obvious. SOWNY is an important part of all our lives once more.

Standing ovation....

March 28, 2022 12:34 pm  #12

With an ovation like that, RA, what can I possibly add. Bravo!

This site has certainly been down a twisted trail, over the years, and I love where it is currently. 

March 28, 2022 1:48 pm  #13

Thanks for keeping this forum on track as a place to discuss the industry, and not let it go down bizarre rabbit holes like certain other Canadian media discussion forms. It's a must-visit for me each day.  

March 28, 2022 2:32 pm  #14

Agree with all;  for so many reasons!

March 28, 2022 2:57 pm  #15

Great job and great posts always Radioactiv! 

March 28, 2022 4:46 pm  #16

I've learned a lot from RA and the contributors to this board. Thanks

March 28, 2022 10:14 pm  #17

I've been a regular user of discussion forums for almost 25 years, and RadioActive is as good a moderator as I've ever seen. Thanks, RA, for all that you do here. 

March 28, 2022 11:09 pm  #18

A huge multiple two thumbs up to RadioActive and an even bigger thank you for keeping this going and relevant.   

March 29, 2022 9:00 am  #19

A thousand thank yous to RA for keeping the reel to reel turning here at SOWNY.I've learned a great deal  about  the behind the scenes goings on in the media world, and about the history of media locally and around the globe. And many websites that I am able to watch current/live tv channels (Ustvgo.tv),plus programs, documentaries  and movies from years past. And posting interesting bits, with a slice of wit along with it. I'll dedicate a song to you, wondering if it was on the charts when you were in the radio biz, or does it predate you time working in media.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3973tfsllqw

March 29, 2022 9:35 am  #20

Let me add my 👏👏👏👍👍👍 to RA and the way he guides this board. Well done sir!

March 30, 2022 10:09 am  #21

"Radioactive" peaked at #28 on the Hot 100 in 1985.

March 30, 2022 10:43 am  #22

Let me just add my thanks to RA for all he does to keep this great board going. I started posting on SOWNY way back when the late Craig Smith was the moderator (even had the great pleasure of meeting Craig in person once).

RA has done a great job keeping this board going in recent years and maintaining this forum as a great place for media lovers like all of us to have interesting conversations. Thanks RA!

March 30, 2022 11:52 am  #23

I want to add my thanks to RA for making the board a go-to place two, three, four times a day which is so nice when you're stuck in a hospital bed dealing with health issues.  (which are being dealt with nicely) 

March 30, 2022 12:18 pm  #24

Before I took over the board, I well remember posting some responses on my tablet from a hospital bed after my cancer operation.

I also recall a few years later waiting for a meeting with my radiologist in his office, when I heard that Jerry Howarth had retired. I'll never forget composing that story while I waited for him and then posting it from Princess Margaret Hospital. It certainly helped the time go by and was a nice distraction.

So thanks for your hospital-ity! I'm sure everyone here wishes you a speedy recovery!

March 30, 2022 1:10 pm  #25

RadioActive wrote:

Before I took over the board, I well remember posting some responses on my tablet from a hospital bed after my cancer operation.

I also recall a few years later waiting for a meeting with my radiologist in his office, when I heard that Jerry Howarth had retired. I'll never forget composing that story while I waited for him and then posting it from Princess Margaret Hospital. It certainly helped the time go by and was a nice distraction.

So thanks for your hospital-ity! I'm sure everyone here wishes you a speedy recovery!

I remember a thread where Peter the K mentioned that he was headed off to get a drink (Scotch?) and listen to some Pinetop Perkins. Of course I headed to YouTube and found a new/old artist to love. Hope you're healing well PtK.

March 30, 2022 3:04 pm  #26

I'm doing OK.  Just a touch of congestive heart failure.  Nipped it before it it got much worse.

I had to dig through to 2017 to find the message in question but yes, good old Pinetop.
Think it might be time for a wee dram and some Pinetop this evening.  Especially after finding this:

https://economictimes.indiatimes.com/drink-be-merry-whisky-helps-check-heart-disease/articleshow/1057377.cms

April 3, 2022 10:21 am  #27

Thank you RA for the great board, keep up the great work!