sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

March 25, 2022 9:54 am  #1

Does Toronto Have Any Pirate Radio Stations?

Anyone can broadcast on the Internet these days, which may be why so-called "pirate radio stations" are no longer as big a deal as they once were. Well that, plus it's illegal.

Still, there's something about actually being "on the air" that adds a bit of gravitas to a radio signal. I haven't heard a pirate in these parts in years, partly because there may not be many left, the dial is incredibly crowded, the web makes it easy to start your own station and also because they don't tend to reach past a few blocks of their originating point. But they're undeniably fascinating to listen to for a short time, if only to see what an illegal hobbyist is up to. 

There are still plenty of them in the U.S., despite an FCC crackdown. The one highlighted in the article below "broadcasts" - if you can call it that - to a few short blocks in a Chicago neighbourhood. I love the reason why the 68-year-old retired radio engineer gives for starting up his station - which only airs old radio shows - in the first place.

"Bill got into noir not because it’s gripping radio, but rather because it’s not. He has insomnia, and the plot lines from Dragnet and Yours Truly, Johnny Dollar help him fall asleep...He decided if listening to this stuff could help him, maybe it could help others..." 

"Listenership on the online station peaks around 3 a.m., which confirms for Bill he’s not the only one using this to get to sleep."

Meet the 68-year-old ‘bad-boy nerd’ behind this North Side Chicago pirate radio station

March 27, 2022 9:44 pm  #2

Re: Does Toronto Have Any Pirate Radio Stations?

I can't comment on Toronto, how about London Ontario?

About three years ago (before covid) I was sitting in the parking lot at a medical building adjacent to the Cherryhill Village Mall on Oxford St. West in London Ontario. I was waiting for my wife who has a medical appointment every two months. I hit the scan button of the FM radio. It locked into 98.7 which is normally unoccupied. A 60's song was playing in stereo, followed by more 60's tunes. I was puzzled as there was no other skip / tropospheric distant signals coming in. When my wife got back in the car we drove to our next stop, the Superstore Mall which is a couple of miles west. The signal was still strong with full quieting and good stereo separation. During the brief interval between songs you could hear a very low 60 or 120hz hum like you might hear from a poorly filtered power supply.

After our grocery shopping we headed north along Hyde Park Road and for the next mile or so the signal remained steady. By the time we got to Gainsboro Rd the signal was dropping in / out. Another mile north it was all but gone.

Two months later I was back and the frequency was still active playing 80's tunes. Two months after that the same thing but at a lower deviation or volume level. By the next appointment (8 months from the first time) signal was gone. I can't say how long it lasted; when it started or ended. There were no ID's, spoken announcer, time checks and the real giveaway every third song was not cancon. There are several 20+ floor high-rise apartment buildings in this area. I thought the signal may have been coming from one of those low power stereo transmitters you can connect to your computer. Possibly from a resident located on one of the upper floors of the apartments. This would provide significant height that could allow a low power signal to travel quite far.

In any case the transmission was very receivable by a FM car radio for a couple of miles. I wonder if the person originating this had any idea how far it was going. It was nice while it lasted.

Did anyone else who visits this board and live in London ever notice this?

Last edited by darcyh (March 27, 2022 9:47 pm)

March 31, 2022 10:28 am  #3

Central York Region ... you thinking 93.9? Still on, sometimes noted on weekends driving through ... can't believe it coexists with 93.7 Georgina ...

March 31, 2022 10:29 am  #4

... and I do remember the Island pirate ... think it was 89.9. There have been a few in TO ...

April 24, 2022 1:57 pm  #5

Had to visit some friends in Newmarket on Friday and I took the back route from Pickering going up the York/Durham Townline and Just north of Highway 7 I started to get a distorted signal of the York pirate.

Reception got better when I reached Vivian Rd and so went back yesterday and made a cell phone recording near Warden on Vivian Rd. I took a boom box with a cassette so I could record a stereo copy but no luck as it only came in on the car radio. Not sure where the strongest signal is but I may attempt a boombox recording again. 

The music mix was 65 % hard rock and heavy metal and at least 50 % stuff played on classic rock radio so not very interesting to me but I was glad to hear some Exile era Stones and  almost scared when Ted Nugent came on in those backwoods. Neither is on the phone recording below but here's a little taste and the signal is strong as yesterday I heard it faintly in north Pickering at the Townline and Taunton RD.

Pirate Radio April 23/22

Cool Airchecks and More:
http://www.lettheuniverseanswer.com/

April 24, 2022 2:18 pm  #6

Pirate TV station in the east end. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Star_Ray_TV

April 24, 2022 3:12 pm  #7

Hansa wrote:

Pirate TV station in the east end. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Star_Ray_TV

Believe it or not, although TV and not radio, they DID try experimenting with being radio on the TV as a 100% All Canadian music station...may have been only overnights or select timeslots. I honestly can not remember. All music, no video is what I seem to recall.

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.

April 24, 2022 9:53 pm  #8

I remember driving around Burlington - where I used to live - and picking up a local pirate. They even gave out a phone number. I called and someone answered and even gave me their location, or so I thought. I never heard the station again and they weren't where they said they were.

"Life without echo is really no life at all." - Dan Ingram