sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

March 20, 2022 3:51 pm  #1

Hope For OTA TV: The End Of Two Terrible Television Shows

I have renewed hope for over-the-air and syndicated TV, with the news this week, announced separately, that both Jerry Springer and Maury Povich were ending their shows after several decades on the air. (Although Povich will continue on in reruns.)

I know they were popular (with the "who's the father?" segment of Povich becoming almost a cliche) but there's something about both of these horrendous programs finishing their runs for good at almost the same time that actually gives me hope for the future of the non-streaming version of the medium. Hopefully, Steve Wilkos will follow. 

I do, however, shudder to think what might replace them.

Maury Povich Retires, Ending a 31-Season Run of Revealing Who Is the Father

The former mayor of Cincinnati is ending his 40-year TV career with the cancellation of syndicated 'Judge Jerry' daytime TV show

March 20, 2022 4:40 pm  #2

Re: Hope For OTA TV: The End Of Two Terrible Television Shows

Were these shows ever popular here?  Maybe 30 years ago?  Don't get the feeling Canadians watched either Maury or Jerry that much.  And remember when it came out that Jerry's "fights" were all staged?

March 20, 2022 4:49 pm  #3

I was thinking more about the U.S. than Canada. And yes, they were very popular down south - kind of like the Roman Gladiator times, with a rabid audience always rooting for the worst kind of people. 

March 20, 2022 4:55 pm  #4

RadioActive wrote:

I have renewed hope for over-the-air and syndicated TV, with the news this week, announced separately, that both Jerry Springer and Maury Povich were ending their shows after several decades on the air. (Although Povich will continue on in reruns.)

I know they were popular (with the "who's the father?" segment of Povich becoming almost a cliche) but there's something about both of these horrendous programs finishing their runs for good at almost the same time that actually gives me hope for the future of the non-streaming version of the medium. Hopefully, Steve Wilkos will follow. 

The former mayor of Cincinnati is ending his 40-year TV career with the cancellation of syndicated 'Judge Jerry' daytime TV show

You are a good man RA,  however you need to hear the truth...there IS gambling at Rick's Cafe' !

Last edited by Media Observer (March 20, 2022 4:58 pm)

March 20, 2022 5:04 pm  #5

Last time I saw Jerry Springer was about 7 years ago on KTLA.  The show and Jerry looked tired.  Most of the commercials on the program were for LA law firms  Other spots were sort of like this...
https://www.yout-ube.com/watch?v=b715R99kifE

March 20, 2022 5:07 pm  #6

Media Observer wrote:

RadioActive wrote:

You are a good man RA,  however you need to hear the truth...there IS gambling at Rick's Cafe' !

I'm shocked to find out that gambling is going on! Not that it will amount to a hill of beans. Oh well, we'll always have Paris.

Here's looking at you, kid. 

March 20, 2022 5:10 pm  #7

paterson1 wrote:

Last time I saw Jerry Springer was about 7 years ago on KTLA.  The show and Jerry looked tired.  Most of the commercials on the program were for LA law firms  Other spots were sort of like this...
https://www.yout-ube.com/watch?v=b715R99kifE

Both Steve Wilkos (the former director of security on Springer, who hosts a similar type show) and "Judge Jerry" still air weekdays on WUTV in Buffalo. So they're widely available here, as well. 

March 20, 2022 5:17 pm  #8

Fascinating. I had no idea they were still on the air.
They were eager footsoldiers in the fight against civilisation.

March 20, 2022 5:40 pm  #9

RadioActive wrote:

Media Observer wrote:

RadioActive wrote:

I'm shocked to find out that gambling is going on! Not that it will amount to a hill of beans. Oh well, we'll always have Paris.

Here's looking at you, kid. 

March 20, 2022 6:41 pm  #10

I wouldn’t be surprised to see some stations put something local on the schedule in place of Springer or Povich. For example if a station currently has no midday news, it could be an opportunity for those stations.

This would be only in the US.

March 20, 2022 10:11 pm  #11

Even better would be if a) NBC cancels The Tonight Show and the show is never again revived anywhere, and b) Fallon becomes a broke, homeless nobody who nobody cares about.  Biggest frickin' cancer of popular culture who actually believes he is the greatest thing going.  What a friggin' full of himself, pompous disease... how is this bloody idiot still relevant, and how in the hell does he still have a job?  No-talent S.O.B.

March 20, 2022 10:43 pm  #12

Forward Power wrote:

Even better would be if a) NBC cancels The Tonight Show and the show is never again revived anywhere, and b) Fallon becomes a broke, homeless nobody who nobody cares about.  Biggest frickin' cancer of popular culture who actually believes he is the greatest thing going.  What a friggin' full of himself, pompous disease... how is this bloody idiot still relevant, and how in the hell does he still have a job?  No-talent S.O.B.

He says good things about you.

March 20, 2022 10:44 pm  #13

Forward Power wrote: "Even better would be if a) NBC cancels The Tonight Show and the show is never again revived anywhere, and b) Fallon becomes a broke, homeless nobody who nobody cares about.  Biggest frickin' cancer of popular culture who actually believes he is the greatest thing going.  What a friggin' full of himself, pompous disease... how is this bloody idiot still relevant, and how in the hell does he still have a job?  No-talent S.O.B."

You forgot obsequious.  It's a talent he has, kissing his guests' asses while also kissing his own.

Last edited by Radio Bob (March 20, 2022 10:44 pm)

March 20, 2022 10:45 pm  #14

If you don't like him don't watch.  There's a late night show for every taste these days.  

March 20, 2022 11:28 pm  #15

I don't watch. Don't watch Colbert, Kimmel or any late night stuff.

March 21, 2022 10:15 am  #16

Springer and Povich signing off? pity....  someone, please pass the box of tissues....

I hope that the next colon cleanse of the medium will see the elimination of the seemingly never ending plethora of daytime Judge / Courtroom based shows... 

March 21, 2022 11:42 am  #17

For me, it would be reality shows in general. But they're cheaper than scripted dramas and unfortunately, they're here to stay. 

March 21, 2022 12:28 pm  #18

The rise of daytime trash tv began when the networks returned most timeslots back to their local affilliates. From the 1950's to the mid 1980's, ABC, NBC and CBS filled the 10AM-4:30PM period with mostly game shows in the morning and soaps in the afternoon. In fact, up until 1963 CBS provided programming until 5PM. The Edge of Night aired at 4:30PM which in the winter really would be the edge of night.

March 21, 2022 1:03 pm  #19

The beginning of reality shows came as a result of the writers' strike that shut down all scripted TV in the U.S. back in 1998. Hollywood is nothing if not creative, and so producers dreamed up a way to get original programming back on the air that didn't require the written word. 

It worked well enough and was so much cheaper that more inevitably followed, to the point we are where we are today, with endless "Survivor"-type spinoffs, non-stop "American Idol" rip-offs, unbearable "Bachelor" dating clones and everything from cooking competitions to Lego building. 

I personally can't stand any of them and never watch these mindless and very manipulated shows. But they are here to stay simply because so many people do tune them in and it costs less to make them. (And now there are entire cable networks solely devoted to them.) I will never understand their popularity, but at least my DVR gets a rest whenever they come on. 

March 21, 2022 6:57 pm  #20

There were a few reality shows around even in the late 70's and into the 80's.  Programs like America's Most Wanted, Star Search, That's Incredible, COPS, Foul Ups Bleeps and Blunders, Real People, Life's Most Embarrassing Moments, TV Bloopers and Practical Jokes, would all be classified as reality shows.

You could even argue that the first might have been Allen Funt's Candid Camera which came on air in 1948 and was brought back various times over the decades on CBS and syndication.

March 21, 2022 7:16 pm  #21

But the explosion happened after The Writers' Guild of America walked out for several months and the networks had to fill with either reruns or something else. That "something else" is still clogging up network schedules to this day. 

March 23, 2022 10:30 am  #22

Maury Povich has revealed how he wants to be remembered in an interview with ABC News. Check this out:

"I want everybody to think that here was a fair and honest broker when it came to television, that he was a good storyteller and more than anything else, he was compassionate to the people who told their stories all these years, and that they could unwind their burden with him. And I think more than anything else, according to my guests, I think I've lived up to it."

"Fair and honest broker when it came to television"? "Compassionate to the people who told their stories"? Really? It could be argued he helped ruin television with one of the most exploitive and irresponsible programs in the tube's history. Amazing how he sees it.

When it comes to creating some terrible TV moments, he IS the father!