sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

January 24, 2022 11:55 pm  #1

Should Woke Supersede Joke On Classic Radio & TV Shows?

This isn't a local story, but it's certainly an interesting one. It involves the BBC and how its censoring or removing old broadcasts of some of its iconic radio and TV shows because of content that isn't considered politically correct today. In some cases, there's little doubt that parts of that content are downright racist. You can see more about what's being cut and why in the article below. 

BBC accused of quietly making ‘woke cuts’ to classic comedies

Those aren't the only examples. I recall hearing about an episode of a great BBC series called The Fall and Rise of Reginald Perrin that was released on home video. One episode was missing completely and was not included in the boxed set. It involved a number of the characters dressing in blackface for reasons I can't recall after all these years. To my knowledge, it's never been broadcast or issued again and for all intents and purposes, that episode has ceased to exist.   

Standards are different now than they were then and we're a lot more aware of things that are racist or offensive. On the other hand, these were artifacts of a different time and perhaps if put in context, they might serve as a sort of warning about how some people thought it was once OK. 

I know CHCH runs warnings about "dated" programming in its daily reruns of classic shows, in case these unfortunate references turn up in them - as they often do. 

I'm curious about what you think of this. Should these things never see the light of day again, even if they are considered classic comedies and feature some of Britain's biggest stars, like John Cleese? Or should they be presented in context as reflecting a time thankfully long since gone? I have to admit I'm of two minds on this. I hate censorship and altering history. Yet I also understand how offensive and hurtful they can be. 

Do you think the Beeb is doing the right thing? What would you do if you were in charge?

January 25, 2022 12:02 am  #2

Re: Should Woke Supersede Joke On Classic Radio & TV Shows?

Well, there is that episode of Are You Being Served? that ends in the gang singing "Dixie" in blackface. 

January 25, 2022 12:21 am  #3

Hansa wrote:

Well, there is that episode of Are You Being Served? that ends in the gang singing "Dixie" in blackface. 

Not familiar with that show, although I've heard of it. But given this policy, I doubt that episode is still being shown. 

January 25, 2022 12:50 am  #4

it's all splunge.

January 25, 2022 9:39 am  #5

I would prefer content warnings over content edits.

January 25, 2022 10:03 am  #6

mace wrote:

I would prefer content warnings over content edits.

It's kind of ironic that the BBC would take this stuff out of old comedies, but ABC just recently aired "Women of the Movement," the story of the lynching of 14-year-old Emmett Till in 1955 Mississippi, which helped kickstart the Civil Rights campaign in the U.S. 

The show, made in 2021, featured the "N" word several times, and it was preceded by warnings before each segment about certain words that were included for the purpose of authenticity. I watched the miniseries and it was terrific. And yes, it would have seemed a lot less authentic if they'd censored that odious and offensive language. 

So they're fixing it in the past but including it with warnings in the present.

We live in a very strange time.