sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

January 10, 2022 9:13 am  #1

NFL Simsub Giveth and Taketh Away

Yesterday I was watching the OT of the Steelers/Ravens game on my laptop via CBS Miami to avoid the CTV simsub of WIVB. The NFL has a rule that viewers in all NFL markets must see their team's game from the opening kickoff. WFOR put a brief scroll across the screen explaining these "Contractual Obligations" Goodbye Pittsburgh/Baltimore. Hello New England?Miami. WIVB would have used the same scroll to alert Western New York viewers about the start of the Jets/Bills game. Thank God CTV continued with the Pit/Balt game...until someone at Rogers realized they were late with their simsub just as the Steelers were getting close to FG range. Goodbye Steelers. Hello Bills. They made the FG. It would have been nice to see it live.

January 10, 2022 9:50 am  #2

Re: NFL Simsub Giveth and Taketh Away

Bell cut the game off before the field goal.  It was annoying.

- Not an industry person.  Just a guy with a love of Toronto radio. 

January 10, 2022 9:59 am  #3

I hear the NFL is looking to update this next season...we'll see....isn't this similar to how Dave Hodge got fired from CBC for throwing a pencil live on air just before the CBC cut from an NHL game to keep its nightly news viewing rules?

January 10, 2022 10:32 am  #4

I have three words for what happened: The Heidi Bowl

That was back in 1968, long before simsub or even cable existed. Different circumstances but it seems those in charge of these things never learn. 

TV viewers become outraged as football game is cut off to air “Heidi”

The gaffe was so bad that the network was forced to apologize for it the next day on their own nightly newscast and show the missing final few minutes. 

January 10, 2022 11:20 am  #5

...and then there's this: Heidi 2.0

Last edited by Radiowiz (January 10, 2022 11:21 am)

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.

January 10, 2022 11:29 am  #6

Wow, thanks for that. I'd never heard of the "sequel" before. And still they never learn...

January 10, 2022 12:49 pm  #7

We get the Detroit stations on Cogeco. Spent the first half of the afternoon skipping from game to game,
before eventually settling on the final part of Steelers-Ravens.
Not sure what channel it was on but I don't think we missed any of it "live."
Approaching 4:30, the play-by-play guys mentioned briefly viewers would probably lose the final few minutes
of a pretty exciting game, due to NFL rules favouring Buffalo or whatever, about to start.
Never happened. Broadcast continued, end of regulation tied, into OT, Pittsburgh won with FG, then pic
flashed on Kara* who just started to say something, when the pic shifted to Bills-Jets. Beauty, not sure how
that happened but I was delighted to take it!

*Very impressed with Wagland's work with the NFL stuff Sundays.

January 10, 2022 1:55 pm  #8

^ The solution is simple.  They could split screen the two games for the few minutes left or put the playoff game in a small box in the corner.  In 2022 with the technology we have, there is no reason to cut the game off. 

Shame on TSN.  There were two TSN channels showing the Steelers and both moved to the Buffalo game.  One could have been kept on for the Steelers but, as we know, no one is paid to pay attention to these things nowadays.

- Not an industry person.  Just a guy with a love of Toronto radio. 

January 10, 2022 3:49 pm  #9

Regarding the Heidi game. It was only the East and Central time zone viewers who missed the end of the game. Re Heidi 2.0: The video mentions an NFL 2pm Kickoff timeslot. This only applied to Baltimore Colts home games because of Maryland "Blue" laws. It was written to the Baltimore City Charter that events on Sunday at Memorial Stadium could not begin before 2pm. Community and Church leaders were worried about parishoners getting in and out of services near the stadium before 60,000 fans arrived.

January 10, 2022 4:36 pm  #10

CTV has their own version of this in the 90's or early 2000's with a Blue Jays game.  Back when they owned CTV Sportsnet (now Rogers Sportsnet) they showed a Blue Jays game which ran very long on a weekend afternoon.  CTV Sportsnet left the game to go to the start of another event but informed everyone multiple times that the end of the Jays game would be carried on the main CTV network.  That's fine because the main network would have been available to everyone who had CTV Sportsnet.  But as the game continued to run long the main network left the game in progress for local 6pm newscasts.

Last edited by Tomas Barlow (January 10, 2022 4:41 pm)

January 10, 2022 9:05 pm  #11

RadioActive wrote:

Wow, thanks for that. I'd never heard of the "sequel" before. And still they never learn...

The irate Redskins fans who showed up the NBC Richmond studios makes me think of the tragic story of Roy Spencer, the father of former NHLer Brian Spencer.   (Roy driving to CKPG-Prince George to force them at gunpoint to show his son's first game with the Toronto Maple Leafs as opposed to the scheduled Golden Seals-Canucks on Hockey Night In Canada)