sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

January 5, 2022 6:25 pm  #1

CKTB Temporarily Off The Air

Not sure when it started or why, but as of this posting (around 5:25 PM Wednesday), there is only static on 610 where CKTB should be.

Their online feed continues with no interruption, but anyone trying to hear them off air is out of luck.

A wind warning issued by Environment Canada is in effect, especially affecting the Niagara area, with gusts blowing up to 80 or 90 km/h. I wonder if that had something to do with the outage or how long it will last. 

January 5, 2022 6:31 pm  #2

Re: CKTB Temporarily Off The Air

Update: Listening online, I heard Tom McConnell confirm that a power outage hit part of Niagara, where their transmitter is located and that "engineers are working on it." He added that there is a back-up TX, but for whatever reason, it didn't kick in, leaving the station off the air. 

January 5, 2022 8:13 pm  #3

RadioActive wrote:

Update: Listening online...

We've come a long way since the days of "How do we say we're not on the air if we're not on the air..."
haven't we?  

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.

January 5, 2022 8:13 pm  #4

Were you able to hear anything while they were off the air? I would assume WTVN Columbus and/or WTEL Philadelphia would be likely candidates.

January 5, 2022 8:15 pm  #5

Actually just a lot of noise. But I assume WTVN is the most likely, since they come in even when the station is on the air! They're still off if you want to try your luck, or the surrounding frequencies near 600 (although the Fan590 is in the way) or 620.

January 5, 2022 8:44 pm  #6

Unfortunately, my Sony 2010 is no match for the electrical interference in my apartment. And it is too damn cold to sit in my car and DX.

January 5, 2022 9:55 pm  #7

They're back on from their back-up, which is so weak I can hardly hear it. But they're simulcasting iHeart's News Talk Tonight show with CFRB, so you can tell it's there - barely. 

January 6, 2022 7:50 am  #8

Both WTVN Columbus (news talk) and WTEL Philadelphia (Black Information Network) are audible on last night's 6pm recording.