sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

January 3, 2022 3:58 pm  #1

Former Producer Explains Why She Felt Forced To Quit Her CBC Job

I know this has been reproduced in The National Post, which has a well-known vendetta against the Corp. But the actual article comes from a first-person account, a left leaning woman who felt she needed to quit the CBC because she didn't like where the political vibes were going. 

If even part of what she says is true, it's pretty alarming. Either way, it makes for quite an interesting read.

"To work at the CBC in the current climate is to embrace cognitive dissonance and to abandon journalistic integrity.

"It is to sign on, enthusiastically, to a radical political agenda that originated on Ivy League campuses in the United States and spread through American social media platforms that monetize outrage and stoke societal divisions. It is to pretend that the “woke” worldview is near universal — even if it is far from popular with those you know, and speak to, and interview, and read."

Why I quit the CBC 

January 3, 2022 5:37 pm  #2

Re: Former Producer Explains Why She Felt Forced To Quit Her CBC Job

I have a friend who likes to joke that he can get a TV show funded and produced at the CBC by pitching just one sentence:

"A transgender Indigenous Liberal MP fights climate change and racial prejudice in Canada's far north."

He claims no CBC executive would be able to turn it down! I have to admit, it made me laugh. 

January 3, 2022 8:02 pm  #3

Hiring criteria in order of importance:
1. female
2. POC
3. for radio, POC sounding name
4. LGBTQ+
5. Under 35
6. Ability and Competence

January 4, 2022 2:47 pm  #4

Honestly though, an excellent strategy for someone to score subscriptions to their substack - if her premiere on substack hadn't been a populist bashing of the CBC, the National Post would never have given her the promotional boost of carrying her post as an opinion piece, let alone put it on their front page. Nothing like a bit of manufactured anti-CBC outrage to get NaPo to give you some sweet free promotion. If she'd quit CTV News or Global and made the same complaints, there'd be nothing but crickets in response. 

Last edited by Hansa (January 4, 2022 2:48 pm)

January 4, 2022 3:28 pm  #5

The Toronto Sun also gave this story much prominence.  It was their central article on the website front page yesterday afternoon and evening.  Today it is their number one trending story on  line.  So Post Media feels they have a good one here.  Almost like after 25 years of trying they have something that finally may stick on the CBC.

Could be, but let's see if any other major media news outlets pick up on this.  If any of it is true and not just a disgruntled employee who didn't like where the company was going or the way she was treated, then surely someone else will pick up the story and explore further.  CBC doesn't usually comment on anything Post/Sun Media runs about them.   In the past Post Media's bi-weekly anti CBC rants have never amounted to anything. 

I didn't like the way that the final quarter of the article was more of a shameless plug or advertorial for her work on Substack.  This was kind of tacky and had nothing to do with opinion piece, which near the end also become unfocused about what is happening with media in North America, beyond CBC.  As Hensa mentions above, odd that the National Post would have included this rambling in a front page opinion piece.   Also she makes it sound like CBC is deliberately easy on big business and big government which is kind of weird.  I always thought big business was wary of CBC's editorial intentions and positions. 

January 4, 2022 5:32 pm  #6

Sad to admit it as a long time and big CBC fan, I say they have allowed the pendulum to swing too far too quickly....it has begun to bite them in the ass publicly and has clearly impacted their internal and corporate culture...

January 4, 2022 8:41 pm  #7

Hammy wrote:

Hiring criteria in order of importance:
1. female
2. POC
3. for radio, POC sounding name
4. LGBTQ+
5. Under 35
6. Ability and Competence

Conversely, being a woman or POC all but disqualifies you for a job in private radio, at least an on air job (though not much better on the production side). It's better than it was 10 or 15 years ago and yet, Jamil Javani doing the high jump, RB has an all white, all male Monday to Friday lineup. 

January 5, 2022 12:04 am  #8

I still find the local/regional drive shows and hourly bulletins are more balanced in terms of stories covered, but I definitely agree with this person in regards to a lot of the national/network programming on CBC Radio.

January 5, 2022 8:21 pm  #9

January 5, 2022 8:48 pm  #10

Gawker takedown of Tara:

What is the easiest and fastest way to make money as a writer or journalist? Many will tell you it’s taking on freelance copywriting work at advertising agencies or pivoting to film and television. But actually, there’s one simple trick to get you more money, or at the very least more recognition, than most middling writers could possibly imagine: very publicly quitting your legacy journalism job because it’s too “woke” and starting a Substack newsletter. Leaving a writing job in a huff to join the truth warriors of the newsletteratti has worked incredibly well for well-known journalists like former New York Times editor and columnist Bari WeissIntercept co-founder Glenn Greenwald, former New York Magazine writer Andrew Sullivan and Vox co-founder Matthew Yglesias.Usually, this approach only works well for people with name recognition, but one fellow Canadian has proved you don’t even need that to be hoisted up as a free speech warrior as long as you type the correct words in the correct order.

A cursory look at Tara’s previous work shows that she fought hard to combat this kind of cultural Marxism propaganda with pieces such as “5 zen things to do in Vancouver, Canada's epicentre of chill” and “The most breathtaking bike routes Vancouver has to offer” and “Six surprising lessons we can all learn from early retirement gurus.” I can only imagine she narrowly avoided being silenced at every turn.In fact, if you spend even twenty minutes looking through Henley’s journalism career, you’ll see that her bread and butter isn’t news or current events at all. So when she writes about “causing strain” in a story meeting with her “views on issues like the housing crisis,” I wonder exactly when she became an outspoken advocate for such issues. Over the last two years, Henley has not once even tweeted about the housing crisis, an issue that the CBC has covered extensively in just the last few months.

CBC LIFESTYLE JOURNALIST TAKES ANTI-WOKE HIKING CONTENT TO SUBSTACK

Last edited by Hansa (January 5, 2022 9:11 pm)

January 10, 2022 9:47 am  #11

As Henley's 15 minutes wind down, Canadaland offers her a soapbox.

January 11, 2022 8:01 am  #12

That Canadaland interview does little else but emphasize that Brown is a staunch believer in the nouveau religion and that Henley seems unwilling to commit to anything. You can't honestly believe an environment that suspends a veteran journalist for reciting a book's title is one where people aren't on eggshells. The most unbelievable part is that she suggests this is a recent development. 

While I think it's fair to question someone's motives, I'm not sure that Gawker article (why would someone revive that site?) is fair to Henley. Her writing does seem to have mainly consisted of CBC.ca fluff, but that wasn't the extent of her work history at the company. I'm not sure how you'd track down which radio and TV stories she contributed to as a producer - especially given her complaint was about being stifled. I also don't think the jilted journalist grift is as lucrative in Canada as that piece suggests it could be. Though, I guess if Levant and Brown can make a career out of it ... 

It used to be that I was the one furthest to the left in any newsroom, occasionally causing strain in story meetings with my views on issues like the housing crisis. I am now easily the most conservative, frequently sparking tension by questioning identity politics. This happened in the span of about 18 months. My own politics did not change.

Makes you wonder what happened to those other journalists. Did they all retire or "coincidentally" lose their jobs?