sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

December 29, 2021 2:22 pm  #1

The Toronto Star Leaving 1 Yonge St. After 50 Years

The Toronto Star is leaving its long-time iconic location at #1 Yonge St. for new digs at a building near Front and Spadina. They've been at the foot of the start of the world's longest street for half a century. 

It's a building I was once infinitely familiar with - the former location of CKEY, my very first professional job, was on the 25th floor of that building. And the view was sensational from the newsroom. I remember being there the night of the Mississauga train derailment. We could see the fire burning in the distance, although no one knew at that precise moment what it was. 

So the place holds some big memories for me, even though I never worked for the Star. It was quite an impressive place and a great building. What happens to it next? I just hope it's not condos, but being where it is, I fear that's almost inevitable. 

Columnist Rosie DiManno reminisces at the link below. 

https://clearthis.page/?u=https://www.thestar.com/opinion/star-columnists/2021/12/29/the-stars-move-requires-us-to-rethink-what-our-office-should-be-post-pandemic.html

December 29, 2021 2:48 pm  #2

Re: The Toronto Star Leaving 1 Yonge St. After 50 Years

The funny thing is the Star's new address - 410 Front Street, is close to the Globe's old address of 444 Front (which was previously home to the Tely) while the Globe's new building is adjacent to what used to be 333 King East - the longtime home of the Toronto Sun - which being the big loser in this game of musical chairs, is now bunking in the same non-descript building as the National Post at Bloor and Shebourne which moved there after losing their own building which was up on Barber Greene Rd in Don Mills (down the road from Global TV'a longtime home).

Last edited by Hansa (December 29, 2021 2:50 pm)

December 29, 2021 3:09 pm  #3

Loved being on air in that building!

December 29, 2021 3:46 pm  #4

I can honestly say it was the best-looking newsroom I've ever been in. I remember thinking it looked a lot like the Starship Enterprise, with the circular table and the view from that window. And there were some days we had to work at warp speed! 

I wonder whatever happened to all that equipment when the place finally closed down. We had those Ampex reel-to-reels that you couldn't destroy with a nuclear device and those great Ward-Beck boards. Maybe it's because I was just starting out, but I have very fond memories of the place. 

One of my favourites - MacLean Hunter fired many of the ops to save money, forcing the announcers to sit behind the board, some for the first time in years. One of those was the late, great John Woodbridge, the overnight man, who hadn't oped his own board in decades. I remember everyone was asking him, "John, are you nervous about having to do your own op-ing?"

"Are you worried about making a mistake?" 

"Aren't you scared?"

And on and on it went for a week. Well, the night finally arrived and Woodbridge sat down in the chair in the main control room, with those of us working the late shift gathered to watch. He cued up a record (which they still used in those days, the late 70s) and started it up. He then raised the pot, deliberately took it down to nothing, leaving a second or two of dead air, and then pushed the pot back up. "There," he said, as we stared at him in silence. "I got the mistake out of the way!" 

And then he laughed and the show went on without another hitch. He deliberately screwed up on his first night on his first song just to shut everybody up!

What a great place that was.

December 29, 2021 4:29 pm  #5

I wonder what occupies the 25th floor of 1 Yonge St. now.

December 29, 2021 4:34 pm  #6

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.

December 29, 2021 5:04 pm  #7

This ad talks about that view.

December 30, 2021 12:44 pm  #8

I guess it's OK to reveal this now, because he's no longer with us. But on the top floor, there was a semi-hidden entrance to the room that controlled all the Hepa and air conditioning for the whole building. I well recall newscaster Dan Turner sneaking in there after his shift (and sometimes during, to be honest) to smoke a joint, knowing that the stiff artificial breeze blowing through that room would quickly dissipate all the smell and the smoke. 

Staid old CKEY, with its Laurie Bower Singers format, was hardly the place you'd think that kind of drug use would be going on, but I suspect he wasn't the only one who knew of that space.

As Maybo notes, a great building and a good place to work, with very talented people doing what they did best. 

December 30, 2021 7:16 pm  #9

I have nice memories of 1 Yonge St as I worked there for the Toronto Star part timer for almost  four years when I was going to university. Loved walking up Yonge st after work to check out the record stores. Also would occasionally take in a leaf game buying the ticket from the scalpers who would always say "who's selling tickets."

Most of the others in my department were part of the Newspaper Guild but as a part timer I was not. I remember one strike in which I did not cross the picket line in solidarity with the union.

Am trying to recall what floor the cafe was in. Was it the 4th floor ?

Cool Airchecks and More:
http://www.lettheuniverseanswer.com/

January 1, 2022 3:40 am  #10

I wonder what will happen to the virtual offices in the building. A lot of businesses pretend to have a prestigious address by using Alliance Business Centres on the 18th floor.
The radio advertising agency Torbay Partners lists its address in that spot.