sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

December 9, 2021 11:04 am  #1

When Jungle Jay Was Still On WKBW-TV Before CHUM

While researching that ridiculous thread about mishearing the Tim Horton's spot, I came across this terrific column from Buffalo media historian Steve Cichon. As many here know, the "Jungle" in Jungle Jay Nelson came from his time hosting an afternoon kids' show on WKBW-TV in Buffalo. 

But up until spotting this article recounting the history of children's TV from that city, I'd never seen any pictures of him on that specific show dressed in that trademark pith helmet.

A wonderfully nostalgic read if you tuned into any of those shows back then, and as the article points out, the other Buffalo stations also had kid shows. But for whatever reason, none of them are as well remembered as the ones on 'KB.

Buffalo TV Kids Shows Remembered

December 9, 2021 11:35 pm  #2

Re: When Jungle Jay Was Still On WKBW-TV Before CHUM

I used to watch it daily.  What a big deal it was for CHUM to land the great Jungle Jay.

December 10, 2021 11:18 am  #3

I would watch Rocketship 7, then Popeye's Playhouse with Captain Mike and Buttons usually during the summer. TV was not permitted before school! I remember watching Mickey Mouse Club repeats with Captain Bob on ch 2. Never watched Commander Tom but was aware of him.

December 10, 2021 12:50 pm  #4

A story I read somewhere was that when CHUM was looking for a new morning person at the time, it apparently came down to 2 candidates.  Jungle Jay who got the job, and the other was Irene Ryan who played Granny on the Beverly Hillbillies.   Oh how things would have been different.   I always wondered about this story because at the time there were no women in prominent on air positions like AM drive on major market stations.   Can anyone here on the Big Yellow Board confirm or deny this story.

December 10, 2021 2:00 pm  #5

The search for a new CHUM announcer was first featured on the Oct 28, 1963 CHUM Chart. The cover of the Nov 18th chart had a photo of Irene Ryan with the copy stating that Grannie from the Beverly Hillbillies will NOT be CHUM's new Morning Mayor. The back of the chart has a photo of Nelson in his Ch 7 tv show outfit, with the caption Jungle Jay Comes To CHUM.

December 10, 2021 2:43 pm  #6

Mace is correct, and the proof is in the charts reproduced below. They're from the charts section of Doug Thompson's terrific CHUM Tribute Site, the only real official site about the station. It answers almost all of these questions and more. The stuff with Irene Ryan (and Jim Backus if memory serves) were all for PR. None of them were ever in the running. As the story goes, when Al Boliska left and the high-profile morning slot opened, it was owner Allan Waters' daughter Sherry who suggested that guy she watched on TV. His name: Jungle Jay Nelson. 

The following charts show the history of what unfolded. Are all from 1963:

Nov. 4:

Nov. 18:

Nov. 25:

Dec. 2:

I still have my old Jungle Jay sweatshirt, although I rarely wear it to keep it in good condition. It was given to me by a former CHUM newsman, the late, great Grant Forsythe.