sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

November 14, 2021 11:41 am  #1

Do You Know The Count From The Amount? Remembering Dialing For Dollars

I never did get the allure of WKBW's Dialing For Dollars, but somebody must have watched it. The show somehow aired from 1964-1978, an amazing run for a local morning program. And the question always asked to win the money was, "Do you know the count from the amount?" I never really understood what that meant, but I do know a lot of people watched this thing, which in the early days followed "Rocketship 7."

But here's something I never realized as a kid - this was one of those rare local Buffalo shows where viewers in Toronto and Southern Ontario could also win, as the ad below indicates. Somewhere, Jimmy & Johnny are still playing the accordion and the drums...

Buffalo in the ’70s: Nolan Johannes and ‘Dialing for Dollars’

November 14, 2021 1:20 pm  #2

Re: Do You Know The Count From The Amount? Remembering Dialing For Dollars

I always remember the phrase being "the count and the amount".

November 14, 2021 1:32 pm  #3

Could be. It goes back a lot longer than my memory! But can you tell me what that meant? What was the count vs. the amount?

November 14, 2021 1:39 pm  #4

It's forgotten now but Dialing for Dollars was actually a local talk and light entertainment show disguised as a game show. The game show element was actually a small portion of the airtime and when it was dropped entirely, the show became AM Buffalo which is still on the air today, though it's running time has been cut un recent years to half-an-hour. Dialing for Dollars, like a number of local television shows, was a franchised television format  which local stations would license and stage their own versions of. Other examples of local TV franchises were Bozo the Clown and Romper Room, Bowling for Dollars, It's Academic,  as well as the Eyewitness News format, and PM Magazine in the 1980s (which Global adapted as "That's Life" with Anne Rhomer and Peter Feniak). Improvements in telecommunications means that today it's much easier and cheaper for "live" and "live to tape" shows to be syndicated to local stations nationwide so local franchised shows have disappeared but it used to be a much more popular thing, especially when (if I'm not mistaken) FCC rules still mandated a certain amount of locally produced content as late as the early 80s before Reagan deregulated as much as he could across government. 

Dave Thomas hosted both Rocketship 7 and then, after a quick costume change, Dialing for Dollars which immediately followed it each morning. He was also one of WKBW's noon weatherman, and it's #2 weatherman behind the evening/nighttime Eyewitness News wealtherman Tom Jolls, who also hosted WKBW's afternoon kiddie show, Commander Tom. (Is anyone expected to host or co-host three TV shows a day in modern television?)

Here's a nice 2001 profile of Dave Thomas (who left in 1978 to become the weatherman for WPVI Philadelphia, where he changed his stage name to Dave Roberts), from when he was inducted into the Buffalo broadcast hall of fame. His real name is Dave Boreanaz (which is actually a northern Italian name of Slovenian origin)

Last edited by Hansa (November 14, 2021 1:50 pm)

November 14, 2021 1:40 pm  #5

SCTV had a lot of fun with the whole idea... 

Last edited by Radiowiz (November 14, 2021 1:40 pm)

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.

November 14, 2021 2:38 pm  #6

RadioActive wrote:

Could be. It goes back a lot longer than my memory! But can you tell me what that meant? What was the count vs. the amount?

Yup.  It was "count and amount".

They would take the white pages out of the phone book and cut each column into little squares.  They would draw one of the squares from a large drum. 

The count would be random number from either the top or or the bottom of the square.  So if today's count was 3 from the top, they would call the third name from the top of the square. 

The amount was the amount of the jackpot, which would grow for each incorrect call until it was won.

The person called had to tell the host the count (which changed every day) and the amount.  (which changed every call)

With all that, I only remember Nolan Johannes as the host of the show. 

After D4D, Johannes went on to do news in P.A.  He passed away in 2020.

https://www.standardspeaker.com/news/former-wnep-anchor-johannes-dies/article_12380272-698f-5485-9016-26c9bd4ad130.amp.html

November 14, 2021 2:58 pm  #7

Radiowiz wrote:

SCTV had a lot of fun with the whole idea... 

Came here for this, thank you.

November 14, 2021 3:33 pm  #8

Peter the K wrote:

RadioActive wrote:

Yup.  It was "count and amount".

They would take the white pages out of the phone book and cut each column into little squares.  They would draw one of the squares from a large drum. 

The count would be random number from either the top or or the bottom of the square.  So if today's count was 3 from the top, they would call the third name from the top of the square. 

The amount was the amount of the jackpot, which would grow for each incorrect call until it was won.

The person called had to tell the host the count (which changed every day) and the amount.  (which changed every call)

With all that, I only remember Nolan Johannes as the host of the show. 

After D4D, Johannes went on to do news in P.A.  He passed away in 2020.

https://www.standardspeaker.com/news/former-wnep-anchor-johannes-dies/article_12380272-698f-5485-9016-26c9bd4ad130.amp.html

Wow, thanks for that explanation. I have to admit I didn't watch the show much (school got in the way and it wasn't really aimed at my demo at the time) but I never knew that was how it worked. Of course, today there ARE no phone books, so I guess it really was a creature of its time.  

November 14, 2021 11:22 pm  #9

RadioActive wrote:

Wow, thanks for that explanation. I have to admit I didn't watch the show much (school got in the way and it wasn't really aimed at my demo at the time) but I never knew that was how it worked. Of course, today there ARE no phone books, so I guess it really was a creature of its time.  

My pleasure.  But being a little accordion-playing Polish Kid at the time, I was drawn to the show because I was enthralled to see Johnny Banaszak, accordionist with "The New Yorkers" polka band, and the guy who was inside Promo the Robot on Rocketship 7, play the accordion on air.  And that was no ordinary accordion, either.  It was a real "Cordovox".  Which was a really cool combination of accordion and organ.  But I digress.

Good thing I lived only 500 meters away from school.  I was still late more often than not.

Last edited by Peter the K (November 14, 2021 11:23 pm)

November 15, 2021 12:18 am  #10

And come to think of it, not only is there no longer any phone book, but there are also no more "dials" on rotary phones - or rotary phones, for that matter. What would it be called today? Calling for Cash? Texting for Treasure?

November 15, 2021 12:22 am  #11

How about a show where the host randomly calls a number and tells whoever answers that he's from the CRA and the RCMP are going to arrest the respondent in 20 minutes unless they rush out, buy some bitcoin or Amazon cards, and send them to a certain address? 

November 15, 2021 9:01 am  #12

Dialing For Dollars also aired on WROC Rochester [hosted by Anne Keefe] and WSYR [now WSTM] Syracuse hosted by Ed Murphy. A total of 86 stations carried a local version of the show.

November 15, 2021 9:27 am  #13

Wikipedia has a list of stations that supposedly carried the format at one time or another. It's very long and shows how popular the idea was back in the 60s and 70s. 

Dialing for Dollars stations