sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

June 18, 2021 7:53 am  #1

Who Should Replace Mike Stafford On GNR640’s Morning Show?

It was a sad way to end that part of his broadcasting career, but like it or not, Mike Stafford is gone. I’m sure the hunt has already started in the back boardrooms of Corus about who should replace him. After all, there’s nothing more important than a morning man and right now, they don’t officially have a permanent one.

Is there anyone you’d like to see – er, hear, in that timeslot? Greg Brady has been doing a pretty good job there, but is he the right person to take it on permanently? His name is at least partly known from his years at the Fan, although whether that audience and 640’s are the same is far from certain. Plus, I'd really miss his Saturday morning show, which is the best thing in the timeslot.

I would be surprised if they play musical chairs and decide to shift someone from another show into the slot. Who would that be? Oakley isn’t likely to go back. I like Alex Pierson, but I’m not sure she’s right for mornings. Jeff MacArthur is busy on Global, so he’s out. Alan Carter already has a full-time job. And Kelly Cutrara appears to fit right where she is. 

And thank goodness, Michael Coren appears to be yesterday's man!

Maybe they could bring in someone from one of the farm teams out west, where there’s a lot of experienced talent. That's what the CBC did for their top-rated local morning show. But Corus might also want a known name that’s promotable. Could they try to poach someone from NT1010?

I honestly can’t think of the ideal candidate to fill the slot. But I suspect whoever it is will have to be in place for the day after Labour Day – a traditional date for some stations to make changes for the fall.

Anyone you’d nominate for the slot?

June 18, 2021 8:09 am  #2

Re: Who Should Replace Mike Stafford On GNR640’s Morning Show?

I quite enjoy their overnight show with Shane Hewitt.  Someone to consider?

June 18, 2021 8:23 am  #3

Who cares? 640 is a non-entity in this market. A bunch of right wing nut jobs . Doug Ford might bow available soon 

June 18, 2021 8:34 am  #4

I actually think an argument could be made to keep Brady where he is, although they'd lose a swing man who serves a host of stations. Whether he'd want the gig permanently is another story. 

June 18, 2021 10:15 am  #5

Sue-Ann Levy just announced her retirement from the Toronto Sun so she's free!

Seriously though, I think they'd be better off not alienating (more than) half of their potential audience by having someone who is too ideological like Pierson. Morning shows also set the tone for the whole station so if they want to be right wing talk, they could, but my sense is they're moving away from that. Toronto is not a right-wing city and even the 905 area has become less of a conservative bastion in recent years - why limit yourself to a niche?

June 18, 2021 10:49 am  #6

Hansa wrote:

Sue-Ann Levy just announced her retirement from the Toronto Sun so she's free!

Seriously though, I think they'd be better off not alienating (more than) half of their potential audience by having someone who is too ideological like Pierson. Morning shows also set the tone for the whole station so if they want to be right wing talk, they could, but my sense is they're moving away from that. Toronto is not a right-wing city and even the 905 area has become less of a conservative bastion in recent years - why limit yourself to a niche?

Very true Hansa. The 416 always seems to vote Liberal Red in Federal elections and a combination of Liberal Red and  NDP Orange in Provincials ones. And in the last federal election, most of the 905 went Liberal.

June 18, 2021 1:40 pm  #7

Not a question in my mind - they should hand the morning show to Greg Brady immediately.

June 18, 2021 1:48 pm  #8

Someone mentioned that Jay and Ryan would be an obvious choice for a discussion about the spot.

It would really leave a whole for 1010.  One could argue it might be a more level playing field in News/talk if it happened.  640 is doing a better "news" job over-all.

A strength at 1010 was their "bench" of talent but that no longer exists.

Evenings got destroyed in the recent rating, so clearly that move has not paid off, and further weakens the bench.

Could be interesting.   Fun to watch.

June 18, 2021 2:35 pm  #9

If AM 640 is serious about having a good quality morning show with someone who already seems to have a following, then maybe they should consider hiring Larry Fedoruk. 
Not long ago 610 CKTB let him go.
Their loss could be 640's gain... 

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.

June 18, 2021 2:55 pm  #10

I don't know if Larry's stream-of-consciousness style would work in the mornings, but he's talented enough to adapt. I'd love to hear him back. It's an intriguing suggestion and he has a history in Toronto, especially his years at CHFI. He's doing a podcast now, and who knows if he'd want to come back. But it would be nice to be asked!

June 18, 2021 4:30 pm  #11

I think by axing news and going for full-on "opinion" NT1010 has really created a void that 640 can fill by going in the other direction. I think especially after the Trump years, peopel are tired of hosts that tell people what to think. Go for a more newsy approach and let the opinion come from your guests and since CBC Radio's focus is more national, go for a more local approach. Of course, having an opionated host is cheaper than having someone backed by a strong news and production team (and in other dayparts synidcating is cheaper than having a local-focussed host) but cheaper is one reason private radio is in decline. 

June 18, 2021 4:42 pm  #12

Offer it to Humble and Fred? 🤨
I'm kidding.

Amanda Galbraith on Newstalk does a good job with her roundtable discussion show Friday's at 1:00 and filling in for a vacationing Ryan or Jay on the Rush. Would she want the gig?

It'll never happen but I'd love to hear Tina T. on the 640 morning show again.

Mornings require the performance gene, an ability to connect with the listener, something the dude who took over on CHOM mornings completely lacked the two breaks I heard the week after Terry retired.

640 needs someone like Lisa Brandt...🤔

Last edited by betaylored (June 18, 2021 5:24 pm)

June 18, 2021 5:23 pm  #13

Gawd, get the station off the merry go round.. bring in someone new not a regurgitated toss off from another Toronto or GTA station.

June 18, 2021 5:28 pm  #14

Greg Brady sounds good but I think they should pair him up with someone. 

June 18, 2021 6:08 pm  #15

Not that I'm at all suggesting this is what's going to happen...BUT, if you woke up tomorrow and read that "Global News Morning" will now join you on your commute on 640am, would you be shocked?

June 20, 2021 10:51 pm  #16

There you have it - NOBODY with any charisma or notoriety is has been proferred by this forum.  Nobody with any stones or 'whatever'.  Toronto is nearly the center of the universe for Canada yet there is no one to fill a primo spot...Go get a loud-mouth shmuck like O'Leary or even recycle Bill Carroll - think outside the box - it's not as if what's inside the box is working

Come out to the coast, we'll get together, have a few laughs... 
~ John McClane

June 21, 2021 6:03 pm  #17

Jim Richards.

- Not an industry person.  Just a guy with a love of Toronto radio. 

June 21, 2021 6:51 pm  #18

think like hr and a corporation not radio.  i would put money on Supriya Dwivedi

June 21, 2021 7:13 pm  #19

Charlie wrote:

Leslieville Bill wrote:

Jim Richards.

He's not a morning host.  John Moore is a morning host.  Balanced, sensible,  neutral, and intelligent.  Richards is a comedy club reject with a decent radio voice.

John Moore is my favourite Toronto radio host by far .. he's head & shoulders better than anyone else .. John & Robert Turner are a great combo.

Jim Richards is just not my cup of tea .. frankly, I find his style annoying ..

June 21, 2021 8:08 pm  #20

There's a small part of me who would love to see it offered to Robert Turner, whom I think can be very entertaining and is wildly underused. Imagine him going up against his old partner-in-crime. That would be interesting.

June 23, 2021 6:02 pm  #21

RadioActive wrote:

There's a small part of me who would love to see it offered to Robert Turner, whom I think can be very entertaining and is wildly underused. Imagine him going up against his old partner-in-crime. That would be interesting.

I still miss Robert Turner at 5:00am. He would be terrific heading his own whole show.

How does the Global news radio am 640 morning show with Greg Brady and Barb DiGiulio sound?

Barb's bright and upbeat on-air, definitely a morning show kind of personality. She also doesn't fall into the trap of being over hearty and fake radio laughing at least once a break like some morning show lineups we've all heard*. 

Barb had a great relationship with listeners when she was on CFRB and they'd follow her to 640, and her Twitter info says she's currently a free agent.

Or Barb and Kelly Cutrara, it'd be Kelly and Barb I guess seniority wise. A morning show with two women?!

*Do they teach fake radio laughing at Ryerson and Fanshawe, if so could they do a better job?

Last edited by betaylored (June 23, 2021 6:04 pm)