sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

August 14, 2020 9:40 am  #1

The Massive Radio Layoffs You Never Knew About

No, it’s not Entercom or iHeart cutting dozens of staff members because of COVID-19 or to save money. Instead this mass culling happened just after U.S. Thanksgiving in 1960, when CBS finally gave into the inevitable and cancelled almost all of its radio comedies and dramas.

Television had made massive inroads into North American living rooms and audiences were now tuning into “radio with pictures” instead, leaving the so-called Golden Age of Radio to turn to rust. Plus station owners had discovered they could make more money through commercials by hiring a DJ and playing music (including Top 40.) So they were no longer willing to air the soap operas and the dramas that had been the staple of the medium for decades.

The result: a mass termination unlike any previously seen in the annals of the business. Actors, script writers, sound effects experts, producers, technicians and more were all given notice in the same month that their gigs were gone. Worse yet, with radio abandoning the genre, there was no place for them to go. Soap operas were forced to wrap up years-long storylines in 7 days. Actresses said goodbye to the public on their last shows. And on and on it went. 

The story is outlined further in the article below, but what surprises me most about this is that there were radio dramas (most notably ‘Gunsmoke’) still airing as late as 1962!

So the next time you hear about yet another huge layoff in the industry, think of those who got the unwelcome news that week in 1960. It just goes to show, I suppose, that the more things change in this industry, the more they stay the same.

Network Radio’s Fateful Thanksgiving of 1960

August 14, 2020 4:44 pm  #2

Re: The Massive Radio Layoffs You Never Knew About

I remember listening to Gunsmoke and Johnny Dollar circa 1961. My mom and grandmother both listened to Ma Perkins.

August 14, 2020 4:53 pm  #3

Wasn't William Conrad the lead voice on the radio version of "Gunsmoke?" The obviously overweight actor, later the star of the TV series "Cannon," wasn't in the right shape to play the lead on television. But boy did he have a great radio voice. 

I'm curious if you remember what station you heard it on in its final days?

August 14, 2020 8:32 pm  #4

RadioActive wrote:

Wasn't William Conrad the lead voice on the radio version of "Gunsmoke?" The obviously overweight actor, later the star of the TV series "Cannon," wasn't in the right shape to play the lead on television. But boy did he have a great radio voice. 

William Conrad was indeed the voice of Marshall Matt Dillon.  I've listened to a couple of the episodes on AM 740.

Last edited by Media Observer (August 14, 2020 8:33 pm)

August 16, 2020 1:16 am  #5

I remember hearing Gunsmoke, Johnny Dollar and Suspense in their final days on WBEN.  There were several attempts to revive radio drama on U.S. radio in years to come. In 1965, ABC in New York presented
a twenty minute anthology series called Theater Five intended to be broadcast during the 5:00pm hour for commuters. By this time most ABC radio stations such as WKBW Buffalo were formatted (e.g. Top 40) and
were not willing to break format to carry this program. It lasted only a few months.  In 1974, CBS radio’s attempt at revival was the CBS Radio Mystery Theater hosted by E.G. Marshall and broadcast 5 nights a week in 50 minute time slots. It was produced by Inner Sanctum’s Himan Brown and featured veteran radio
actors as well as some TV stars. It achieved some success and lasted for 8 years. WBEN carried it late at. night and very occasionally and sporadically. Most CBS stations were formatted as all news or news/talk by this time and again were not willing to break format to carry it.  Also in 1974, the Mutual network’s revival attempt was a 5 night a week anthology series hosted by Rod Serling called the Zero Hour. It failed to attract
enough sponsorship and lasted just a few months. In 1979, CBS radio tried again with the Sears Radio Theater 5 nights a week hosted each night by such stars as Lorne Greene, Vincent Price, Cicely Tyson and
Andy Griffith. This was not carried by a Buffalo station and lasted about a year. Repeats were broadcast for
another year on Mutual.  In the 1980s and 1990s, National Public Radio kept drama alive with Earplay,
NPR Playhouse and a serialized radio version of Star Wars.  Also, during this period CBC radio continued to
produce outstanding dramatic series such as Theatre 10:30, Nightfall and Mystery Project.  At the present
time, the U.K. continues to produce a wide variety of comedy and drama on BBC Radio 4 and Radio 4 Extra
 both of which can be heard online. A multitude of old time radio programs are available for free streaming
or downloading at web sites such as Times Past Old Time Radio and Old Time Radio Researchers Library.

August 16, 2020 1:26 am  #6

If you have internet radio Hollywood 360 runs on about 100 stations across the US. Saturday night after midnight. It's very well done.

http://www.hollywood360radio.com/

August 16, 2020 5:26 am  #7

There was a religious program a few years ago that was styled like an old drama. I can’t for the life of me think of the title. It may even still be on the air.

August 16, 2020 7:02 am  #8

RadioActive wrote:

I probably listened to Gunsmoke on WBEN. And yes, he certainly wasn't built for the roll on tv. A few other tidbits. William Conrad [known as Bill in the credits] was the narrator for the Rocky & His Friends cartoon series. Also, Howard McNear, of Floyd the Barber fame, played Doc Charles Adams on the radio series.

August 16, 2020 1:37 pm  #9

Radio111 wrote:

There was a religious program a few years ago that was styled like an old drama. I can’t for the life of me think of the title. It may even still be on the air.

This is probably “Unshackled” which is produced by the Pacific Garden Mission in Chicago, has been on the air since
1950 and is the longest running radio drama in the U.S. still in production.

August 16, 2020 1:56 pm  #10

Marsden wrote:

If you have internet radio Hollywood 360 runs on about 100 stations across the US. Saturday night after midnight. It's very well done.

http://www.hollywood360radio.com/

Locally, the following stations carry these types of programs regularly:
CFZM.  AM 740. Monday to Friday. 10pm to 11pm
CHML.  AM 900.  7 days a week.   10pm to 1am
CHIN.   AM 1540. 7 Nights a week.  12 Midnight to 6am. (Surprising for a multilingual station)

August 16, 2020 7:04 pm  #11

It could be. I was driving through the Deep South in the States and heard it flipping around the dial. Normally I wouldn’t listen to a religious station, but when there’s nothing else interesting...