sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

August 11, 2020 11:37 am  #1

CRTC Rejects Attempt To Let New FM Encroach On Hamilton Market

No matter how many times a broadcaster tries to do this, it almost always fails – increase power to reach a bigger market than the one they’re licensed to serve. And now there’s yet another example after the CRTC denied Durham Radio’s attempt to boost power for its yet to launch Grimsby-Beamsville station, CKLK-FM.

The broadcaster asked for permission to boost its antenna height and increase power from 4,000 watts to 5,000 before it gets on air. Durham insists its research shows it won’t be able to properly reach all of the area it’s supposed to serve and can’t without the juice boost.

But the Commission appears to have seen through this ploy. While acknowledging there may be some gaps in its coverage area, the CRTC wondered why Durham didn’t see that in its original filing and openly accused the company of trying to get into an area where it doesn’t belong.

“…if it were to approve this application, CKLK-FM's new proximity to Hamilton could present an opportunity for the station to reposition its service and direct its programming and advertising activities towards Hamilton instead of its licensed market.

“In the Commission's view, since the purpose of the original licensing process was to provide Grimsby and Beamsville with a dedicated local service, any such reorientation of the station's activities would not be in the best interests of those communities.”

Nice try, but no dice. The Commission denied the power boost request, noting Hamilton is currently served by seven stations, which are already struggling.  

It shouldn’t come as any surprise that several broadcasters with a Hamilton presence intervened against this idea, including Bell, Corus, Byrnes Communications (which originally applied for the license but didn’t get it) and Evanov.

That last one had me laughing out loud. How many times has Evanov tried – and failed - to boost its signals to increase coverage in Toronto – most especially but not limited to Orangeville’s Z103.5 - and been turned down time and again? Pot, meet kettle…

CRTC Decision

August 11, 2020 1:18 pm  #2

Re: CRTC Rejects Attempt To Let New FM Encroach On Hamilton Market

Yes, CIDC or Zee 103.5 has not been an Orangeville station since about 1990.  Funny since part of the reason for the outlet in the first place was because of the Orangeville tornado in 1985.  Residents felt they weren't given adequate warning and many thought a local radio station would have helped with weather bulletins and warnings.

Thus CIDC was born in 1987 to serve .Orangeville and Dufferin county, Guelph, Grand Valley, Erin and surrounding territory towards Barrie. Since CIDC really doesn't serve this area, Orangeville does have a true local station with CKMO My FM, Country 105 in Shelburne and to a lesser extent 91.7 Erin Radio in nearby Erin.

August 11, 2020 1:24 pm  #3

Actually, if you look at this old thread from 2017, the CRTC came down hard on Evanov and ordered them to serve Orangeville and to stop trying to attract a Toronto audience. It was a strongly worded decision and while I rarely listen to the station (OK, never) their website seems to indicate they're at least trying to keep in the spirit of that order.

That doesn't mean they've completely abandoned the dream of becoming a bigger player in the T.O. market - just that they've paid more attention to Orangeville to keep the Commission happy.

Evanov has been playing the expanding signal game for a long time. Anyone remember that bizarre attempt to switch Pride FM to 103.5 & CIDC to 103.7? That didn't work, either.

August 11, 2020 1:58 pm  #4

not to be pedantic, but in the joint intervention, Evanov merely called into question to the licencing integrity of the initial decision.  The irony isn't lost on me, however Evanov has a right to hold others to the same standard that zee-one-oh-three was ordered to live up to, despite their past "transgressions". 

(can't believe i'm defending Evanov, but there it is)

August 11, 2020 2:01 pm  #5

I see your point and how you can look at it that way. It's just they've been trying to do the same thing a myriad number of times and they've always been turned down. I just found it ironic that someone else trying to accomplish what they couldn't resulted in an intervention from them complaining about the idea.

But you're right overall - fair is fair and if they have to play by the rules, so do their competitors.

August 11, 2020 2:03 pm  #6

paterson1 wrote:

Yes, CIDC or Zee 103.5 has not been an Orangeville station since about 1990.

Later than that. At least for as long as they were known as DC 103five, (until some time in 1994?) they were reliable as a station that covers Orangeville.

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.

August 11, 2020 2:12 pm  #7

RadioActive wrote:

I see your point and how you can look at it that way. It's just they've been trying to do the same thing a myriad number of times and they've always been turned down. I just found it ironic that someone else trying to accomplish what they couldn't resulted in an intervention from them complaining about the idea.

But you're right overall - fair is fair and if they have to play by the rules, so do their competitors.

Evanov likely spent a boatload of money on that Grimsby application and hearing appearance... and don't forget Evanov triggered the call... so a pound of flesh against Kirk maybe .  also, it was a joint intervention so it's possible they just signed up for it on a whim.  Evanov has no other horse in the Grimsby/Hamilton race, unlike the others.

Regardless, the CRTC is actually making some pretty decent calls lately, between this, several licence revocations, and other decisions.  What's gotten into their water supply?

August 11, 2020 2:17 pm  #8

CIDC turned on its HD a month or so ago, and the signal is strong enough that the IBOC HD signal blocks the two adjacent channels with a whoosh noise here in north Kawarthas.

August 11, 2020 9:29 pm  #9

torontostan wrote:

What's interesting to me with CIDC is that since the CRTC has said time and time again that they are not a Toronto station, then why should they count as a Toronto station in terms of ownership? I would argue (theoretically) that Rogers/Bell/Corus could acquire CIDC, since the CRTC has repeatedly stated they feel it's an Orangeville station.
If they're licensed to Orangeville, and their primary contour doesn't include Toronto.. then what's the difference between that, and Bell & Corus owning Hamilton stations that bleed into Toronto?

nothing at all, with the exception of the CRTC's common ownership policy..  except that the only money CIDC can realize is from south of hwy 7.   corus, bell, rogers, etc wouldn't want that kind of scenario.  CIDC's revenue, as stated by Dufferin/Evanov, drives operations for some of their smaller operations elsewhere.