sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum


You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

February 9, 2020 7:21 am  #1


K Country coming to Georgina

Torres Media will be launching K Country 93.7 [CKOU-FM] in time for the Victoria Day Long weekend. They are also looking for on-air talent. They state that the station will launch on May 14th 12PM.
https://www.facebook.com/Georgina-Radio-937FM-345463746229976/

 

February 9, 2020 4:09 pm  #2


Re: K Country coming to Georgina

Time to take the O out of country again.
 

 

February 9, 2020 4:12 pm  #3


Re: K Country coming to Georgina

Chrisphen wrote:

Time to take the O out of country again.
 

You seem pleasant and well-adjusted.


 
 

February 9, 2020 4:38 pm  #4


Re: K Country coming to Georgina

I wonder if their signal will reach just far enough into the GTA to make WBLK unlistenable. Depending on where you are, The DOCK sometimes messes up WHTT.

 

February 9, 2020 4:44 pm  #5


Re: K Country coming to Georgina

I guess the rock pirate on 93.9 in Georgina will be finding another channel...
 

 

February 9, 2020 5:22 pm  #6


Re: K Country coming to Georgina

mace wrote:

I wonder if their signal will reach just far enough into the GTA to make WBLK unlistenable. Depending on where you are, The DOCK sometimes messes up WHTT.

Just out of curiosity, I went back into the CRTC archives to find out more about this station. And a lot has changed since it won the licence back in 2018.
 
 For one thing, the proposed format was classic hits/oldies, not country. Here’s a sample playlist they proposed to the Commission.

 https://i.ibb.co/fXRZZZq/CKOU-3-Playlist.jpg

 
Their original proposed programming block looked like this:

https://i.ibb.co/JnrX5v9/CKOU-1.jpg

https://i.ibb.co/T0QHxhY/CKOU-2.jpg

 
And they also promised this:
 
“…The applicant has committed to broadcast 126 hours of local programming in each broadcast week of which 19 hours and 10 minutes will be spoken word programming including local news, weather, sports, traffic and community event information. Four hours and 22 minutes of this amount will be devoted to pure news.”
 
It will be interesting to see if they can live up to that promise of performance, much in the same way CKNT in Mississauga vowed to carry their local City Council meetings as part of their community obligations. As far as I can tell, they’ve never broadcast a single word from that chamber.
 
As for CKOU’s range and interference issues, here are two maps that propose to show one and the other – and yes, WBLK is mentioned. (Click on either one to see a larger version.)

https://i.ibb.co/hfdjHYX/CKOU-Coverage.jpg

https://i.ibb.co/KsRBmYn/CKOU-Interference.jpg

 

February 9, 2020 6:43 pm  #7


Re: K Country coming to Georgina

Wonder if country might be their best option. The Dock and Big 101 are both doing the classic hits/rock thing and Rock 95 which is a bit of a powerhouse up in cottage country also plays a lot of classic rock.

The only local country competition is out of Orillia with Bell's Pure Country 106. I don't think Bayshore's two country stations (Shelburne and Bracebridge) would reach CKOU's coverage area. 

 

February 9, 2020 7:05 pm  #8


Re: K Country coming to Georgina

RadioAaron wrote:

Chrisphen wrote:

Time to take the O out of country again.
 

You seem pleasant and well-adjusted.

https://cdn.boardhost.com/emoticons3/grin.png

 

 

February 9, 2020 7:11 pm  #9


Re: K Country coming to Georgina

RadioActive wrote:

https://i.ibb.co/JnrX5v9/CKOU-1.jpg


 

If there were ever an image that exemplified the joke that is the licensing process, it's this. 

"Oh, you plan on running the show 'evenings' in the evening? Approved"

Regulate content or don't; this in-between period is stupid.


 
 

February 9, 2020 7:53 pm  #10


Re: K Country coming to Georgina

Chrisphen wrote:

Time to take the O out of country again.
 

Just checking in here....@RadioActive, we're cool with calling female country artists and programmers c***S?


 
 

February 9, 2020 7:59 pm  #11


Re: K Country coming to Georgina

No, it's really not, but I wasn't going to make a federal issue out of it. It's a dumb comment in the end and painfully unfunny, but I often find not drawing attention to it will just let it fade away. I think it was an attempt at humour that missed the mark. But I can see why you may be offended.

 

February 9, 2020 8:04 pm  #12


Re: K Country coming to Georgina

RadioActive wrote:

No, it's really not, but I wasn't going to make a federal issue out of it. It's a dumb comment in the end, but I often find not drawing attention to it will just let it fade away. I think it was an attempt at humour that missed the mark. But I can see why you may be offended. 

How is it more acceptable than anything Ziggy's three accounts have posted? Why even have a moderator?


 
 

February 9, 2020 8:08 pm  #13


Re: K Country coming to Georgina

RadioAaron wrote:

RadioActive wrote:

No, it's really not, but I wasn't going to make a federal issue out of it. It's a dumb comment in the end, but I often find not drawing attention to it will just let it fade away. I think it was an attempt at humour that missed the mark. But I can see why you may be offended. 

How is it more acceptable than anything Ziggy's three accounts have posted? Why even have a moderator?

Ah, but you've answered your own question there. Ziggy was a repeat offender and despite endless warnings and after non-stop complaints, he kept crossing the line. His banishment was well earned for repeated infractions. 

I'm personally not a fan of banning someone on the basis of a single misguided message. The poster is otherwise mostly responsible in what he puts up here so I'm willing to cut him some slack. If it was to become a regular occurrence that might be a different story. 

Being a moderator is always a thankless job and this kind of stuff is one of the reasons.  

 

February 9, 2020 8:24 pm  #14


Re: K Country coming to Georgina

RadioActive wrote:

I'm personally not a fan of banning someone on the basis of a single misguided message. 

Got it. "Cunt" is "misguided." Good to know.
 


 
 

February 9, 2020 9:00 pm  #15


Re: K Country coming to Georgina

RadioActive wrote:

RadioAaron wrote:

RadioActive wrote:

No, it's really not, but I wasn't going to make a federal issue out of it. It's a dumb comment in the end, but I often find not drawing attention to it will just let it fade away. I think it was an attempt at humour that missed the mark. But I can see why you may be offended. 

How is it more acceptable than anything Ziggy's three accounts have posted? Why even have a moderator?

Ah, but you've answered your own question there. Ziggy was a repeat offender and despite endless warnings and after non-stop complaints, he kept crossing the line. His banishment was well earned for repeated infractions. 

I'm personally not a fan of banning someone on the basis of a single misguided message. The poster is otherwise mostly responsible in what he puts up here so I'm willing to cut him some slack. If it was to become a regular occurrence that might be a different story. 

Being a moderator is always a thankless job and this kind of stuff is one of the reasons.  

He came back here twice after you banned him, and you didn't recognize him.

Sorry, but you're bad at this.

If you don't want actual ratings, actual facts, and want to rely on RadioWiz for any of that, that's your right. 

Sad to see this place die under your watch. 
 


 
 

February 9, 2020 9:04 pm  #16


Re: K Country coming to Georgina

No, it's unacceptable but I'm not going to banish someone for one dumb infraction.

But back to the original subject of this thread. I'd like to know why they sold the CRTC on an Oldies format and then completely abandoned it before hitting air. Wasn't that what the Commission accepted and shouldn't they be forced to at least launch with what they used to secure the licence?

I know it's not written in stone and I'm sure that if they'd proposed a country station, they still would have been awarded the thing, but this is a pretty major change from the proposal and it seems they ought to be made to stick to it. At least at the beginning.

It's also significant that CHAY in Barrie tried to stop anyone from getting any licence at all, arguing a new player would solicit advertising from their already small market. Torres was able to claim that the signal would only reach parts of Barrie and they have no intention of trying to sell time there. That claim remains to be seen. I'm sure the owners of CHAY will be watching that carefully. 

 

February 9, 2020 9:09 pm  #17


Re: K Country coming to Georgina

RadioAaron wrote:

Sorry, but you're bad at this. Sad to see this place die under your watch. 

First, Ziggy did not return under aliases. There are various means Boardhost provides to prevent that and I believe they worked. The other trolls were dispatched much sooner, if you recall, although I try not to be too quick on the trigger and I try to give everyone a chance to hang themselves.  

While I very much value your posts here, if you're unhappy, there is no gun to your head to contribute. There can only be one sheriff in town. Like it or not, for now, I'm it.

Feel free to respond if you like. But I'm done with defending this.  

 

February 9, 2020 9:13 pm  #18


Re: K Country coming to Georgina

RadioActive wrote:

But back to the original subject of this thread. I'd like to know why they sold the CRTC on an Oldies format and then completely abandoned it before hitting air. Wasn't that what the Commission accepted and shouldn't they be forced to at least launch with what they used to secure the licence?
 

No matter how many times told, you still don't seem to understand the licensing process. The CRTC doesn't regulate popular music formats beyond Cancon and specialty licenses The CRTC no longer even defines Oldies or Country. 
 

Last edited by RadioAaron (February 9, 2020 9:28 pm)


 
 

February 9, 2020 9:24 pm  #19


Re: K Country coming to Georgina

RadioActive wrote:

RadioAaron wrote:

Sorry, but you're bad at this. Sad to see this place die under your watch. 

First, Ziggy did not return under aliases. There are various means Boardhost provides to prevent that and I believe they worked. 

Right. Despite "The Consultant"  being conservative, but still ranting about "dashboard pounding" right-wing hosts, oh and mentioning they were on Cogeco internet, they weren't Ziggy. Boarshost wins over common sense, I guess. 
 

Last edited by RadioAaron (February 9, 2020 9:25 pm)


 
 

February 9, 2020 10:54 pm  #20


Re: K Country coming to Georgina

1. I'm clearly not Ziggy.
2. I've previously posted my name and contact info on this board after an earlier admin threatened to dox me.
3. Room read. Clearly no Maclean and Maclean fans. More's the pity.

 

February 10, 2020 7:06 am  #21


Re: K Country coming to Georgina

RadioActive wrote:

   I'd like to know why they sold the CRTC on an Oldies format and then completely abandoned it before hitting air    

Are there any oldies-format broadcasters left within SOWNYs listening area?    Even AM-740 and 560 CFOS have gone largely best of the 70s, 80a + 90s 
 

 

February 10, 2020 7:29 am  #22


Re: K Country coming to Georgina

It's always annoyed me that Toronto never really got an FM oldies station, especially at a time when that format was hot. Everything remained on AM, even when the dumb rule about containing hits on the other band was removed. Yet the format was used in other markets. I think the closest we might have come was in the days when the now dead CKO-FM and the equally deceased CKEY-AM proposed to swap bands.

Although admittedly, there's no guarantee what would become KEY 590's oldies format for a short while would ever have happened had they gone to FM. 740 is the closest we have to an oldies format here. But their inconsistency - old radio shows, talk shows, Big Band forays and the like - to me means they don't actually officially meet the criteria, at least not often enough. (And yes, Boom is close, but they're more about 80s and 90s than 60s and 70s.)

I think the days of a traditional 50s and 60s type station are over. Which is kind of ironic because it's the Baby Boomers who still listen to the most radio.

 

February 10, 2020 9:12 am  #23


Re: K Country coming to Georgina

Ms. C. wrote:

RadioActive wrote:

   I'd like to know why they sold the CRTC on an Oldies format and then completely abandoned it before hitting air    

Are there any oldies-format broadcasters left within SOWNYs listening area?    Even AM-740 and 560 CFOS have gone largely best of the 70s, 80a + 90s 
 

There are a few oldies shows but a full time oldies station is getting hard to find anywhere. The Grand at 92.9 still plays a lot of 60's music, as well as 70's and 80's. Here in Kitchener, Oldies 1090 dropped the 50's and most of the 60's music when they flipped to FM little over 10 years ago. They also included more rock cuts with the change.  CFOS likely still plays a little 50's music but much less than a few years ago, and likely only when they are featuring an artist like Elvis. 

True boomers are still radio listeners but a lot of boomers possibly aren't big oldies fans, or prefer it in small doses rather than all the time. And the fact remains, if any station felt there was a need or demand for an all oldies FM it would have happened long ago. The tools have been in place for many years and nobody decided to make the change.  And I think in Toronto it is doubtful how many serious applications have actually been made over the past 20-25 years for an oldies FM.  Maybe one or two?  Frankly I am more surprised that Toronto doesn't have a country radio station, a few surrounding the city but none actually in town.  Business wise, country would be much more viable in Toronto than an oldies FM station.

 

February 10, 2020 9:40 am  #24


Re: K Country coming to Georgina

How will I know if I'm hearing 93.7 Georgina or 93.7 WOGK in Ocala FL https://937kcountry.com (which funnily enough is a common e-skip visitor here)?

 

February 10, 2020 10:00 am  #25


Re: K Country coming to Georgina

Saul wrote:

How will I know if I'm hearing 93.7 Georgina or 93.7 WOGK in Ocala FL https://937kcountry.com (which funnily enough is a common e-skip visitor here)?

Wait for the current temperature to be given. F or C should help distinguish the two stations.

 

February 10, 2020 10:04 am  #26


Re: K Country coming to Georgina

Saul wrote:

How will I know if I'm hearing 93.7 Georgina or 93.7 WOGK in Ocala FL https://937kcountry.com (which funnily enough is a common e-skip visitor here)?

The ads and station id's...or, also, you can stream to verify that what you hear on the radio is what you hear on the internet.
Remember, thanks to 35-40% Can Con, one thing for sure, is that the two will never simulcast.

 

February 10, 2020 10:33 am  #27


Re: K Country coming to Georgina

mace wrote:

I wonder if their signal will reach just far enough into the GTA to make WBLK unlistenable. Depending on where you are, The DOCK sometimes messes up WHTT.

Never really heard that happen - The Dock is directional to the north due to this and their signal cant make it south of King Road properly. I wish as its a good station.

 

February 10, 2020 11:27 am  #28


Re: K Country coming to Georgina

I guess it depends on where you are. I've had the Dock replace WHTT here many times. I'm in northern North York. I don't monitor it that often, but it happens in the car frequently enough that I've noticed it, especially in the summer months.

Even closer to home, there's often a battle of signals between AM 740's Toronto FM downtown extender at 96.7 and Radio Humber. Many's the time both battle it out for reception on my radio, although Zoomer usually wins in the end.

 

February 10, 2020 11:39 am  #29


Re: K Country coming to Georgina

Radio Humber operates on 96.9 so it battles with WGRF. The only time I find the DOCK interfering with WHTT is when I am driving across the 401. Once I turn south on the 427 or DVP, it is gone.

 

February 10, 2020 11:43 am  #30


Re: K Country coming to Georgina

For some reason, Radio Humber seems to interfere with the 96.7 signal for me. It doesn't make sense and maybe it's my radio but it frequently causes interference. Sometimes it's CHYM in Kitchener (which is on the same frequency) but sometimes it's Humber. Can't say why but it happens more often than you'd think. And it drives me crazy (not a long drive!) because I'd rather hear the Toronto outlet.  

As for WGRF and WHTT, in the 70s and 80s, both of these stations came in like locals. I rarely receive them cleanly enough to listen to them over the air anymore. And that's a shame, because I liked them both.