sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

January 21, 2020 9:48 pm  #1

Funny 820 Finally Refreshes Its (One) Liners

I occasionally tune in Funny 820 when I can't find anything else I feel like listening to. I have to admit with numbers so small you can barely find them in the ratings with a magnifying glass, I've often wondered if Bell Media was planning to stick with the format. 

And it appears I have an answer - yes, at least for now. I noticed that CHAM has finally updated its liners, the ones that I.D. the station and act as bumpers between bits. Some of them are pretty benign but one of them is just plain weird. It says something like "Funny 820 - where you'll hear the word penis in more penis jokes per hour!" Or a phrase that's equally non-memorable. 

What a strange little outfit the place has become. I'm guessing Bell doesn't know what else to do with it and it costs next to nothing to run, so the automated comedy - and the meagre ratings - will continue for the foreseeable future. And that's no laughing matter.  

January 21, 2020 10:02 pm  #2

Re: Funny 820 Finally Refreshes Its (One) Liners

Why not offer to trade places with CKNT?

January 21, 2020 10:08 pm  #3

Saul wrote:

CKNT most likely has better ratings than CHAM...if not for the talk shows, at least soccer...er hockey moms are listening. lol

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.

January 21, 2020 11:58 pm  #4

i listen to Funny 820 late night .. i enjoy it .. john pinette never fails to give me a chuckle

January 22, 2020 12:18 am  #5

I wish they would ID the comedian before and after their bits.  I don't like not knowing who they are until they're done.

January 22, 2020 9:11 am  #6

Prod Guy wrote:

I wish they would ID the comedian before and after their bits.  I don't like not knowing who they are until they're done.

I like listening to the comedian and trying to figure out who it is, then hearing the ID. But I'm probably in the minority on that one.

"Life without echo is really no life at all." - Dan Ingram

January 22, 2020 10:19 am  #7

This habit of announcing the comedian at the end of the bit is just sloppy bad programming. Add to that the very fact that you are listening to a minute-or-two edit of a routine? It's hopelessly unlistenable.

January 22, 2020 10:49 am  #8

I wish they would do a lot more sketch comedy excerpts. There are plenty of classics, like Who's on First or Monty Python material (RIP Terry Jones, who passed away on Monday) that deserve exposure. Or great routines like Burns & Schreiber's Taxi Cab bit, that still makes me laugh even though it came out in the 60s. It doesn't have to be all stand-up all the time. 

January 23, 2020 9:23 am  #9

Saul wrote:

Wow! Can you imagine a 50K CKNT? 10K at night. No more reception problems in the GTA.