sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

December 17, 2019 6:21 pm  #1

Remember when Molson's sponsored Hockey Night in Canada?

Welcome Bud Light and Budweiser as the official beer sponsor of the NHL... I always thought Bud Light should sponsor shows about Spirituality, like the OWN network or PBS...you know... "Love and Light", but in this case, "Love and Bud Light"...

Okay, I digress, this deal was reached today...so look for Bud Light and Budweiser to be the "beer" of choice on NHL broadcasts...

Here is more on the story...

https://www.nhl.com/news/nhl-anheuser-busch-labatt-announce-official-north-american-partnership/c-312699654

The world would be so good if it weren't for some people...

December 17, 2019 6:51 pm  #2

Re: Remember when Molson's sponsored Hockey Night in Canada?

I've run this before, but it bears repeating in case you missed it. Ever notice how much a puck's shape resembles a record album?

December 17, 2019 6:59 pm  #3

My country for a light blue NHL HNIC Jacket R.A.!!!

December 17, 2019 7:00 pm  #4

I still remember Labatt Blue Jays baseball. It fit so well to merge "Blue Jay" with "Labatt Blue".

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.

December 17, 2019 7:05 pm  #5

Will Huawei still get mentioned every sentence?

December 17, 2019 11:38 pm  #6

I still associate Budweiser with American football. (I'm being specific for the footie purists on the big used to be yellow board) I do remember when Molson's was the sponsor of Hockey Night In Canada. When you're a Habs fan, you can't escape it.

Looking forward to seeing the polyrhythmic Peart video grilled.cheese thanks. I love that the HNIC theme was written by a woman. Hockey and rock music, now there's an idea for a book, or radio show series.

Unless the ad agency for Budweiser's a bit daft, there is scope for a clever ad campaign.. Budweiser could have some pun with the yearly NHL junior entry draft. 😏

Last edited by betaylored (December 17, 2019 11:45 pm)

December 19, 2019 9:58 am  #7

Before Molson's, Imperial Oil [Esso] was the sponsor of HNIC. In fact, the Three Stars announced at the conclusion of the Saturday telecast began in 1936 as a promotion for Esso "Three Star" gasoline.                                                   One other interesting tidbit I discovered about HNIC. Before 1957, HNIC was only carried "LIVE" in Eastern Canada. Those living in the Prairie provinces and B.C. had to wait until Sunday to watch Kiniscopes of the games. At the time, CBC didn't have the technology to deliver live sports coast to coast. That would change in 1958.

December 19, 2019 10:04 am  #8

Wow Mace, thanks for that...great contribution...isn't it amazing how far technology has gone since then?

December 19, 2019 2:05 pm  #9

Muffaraw Joe wrote:

Wow Mace, thanks for that...great contribution...isn't it amazing how far technology has gone since then?

My information came from the 2012 publication "HNIC-60 seasons" It even covers the "Radio" beginnings. And before Imperial Oil, General Motors was the original sponsor. Lots of historical photos. Don't know if the book is still in print.

December 19, 2019 9:21 pm  #10

when my family moved to canada (1969) we were amazed at the passion our (french acadian) canadian relatives displayed towards saturday night's  "hockey night in canada". all eyes were focused on that black and white screen.  my aunt was a huge montreal fan and jean belliveau was (to her) the king of the castle. i also remember esso stations handing out their version of hockey cards (in the early 1970's) with every gas purchase, to be displayed in an official booklet. they were very popular (at least where we lived).

Last edited by the original hank (December 20, 2019 1:10 pm)

December 20, 2019 8:56 am  #11

the original hank wrote:

i also remember esso stations handing out their version of hockey cards (in the early 1970's) with every gas purchase, to be displayed in an official booklet. they were very popular (at least where we lived).

I still have my Esso Power Player album from 70/71. I'm proud to say it's complete with all the cards/stickers.

This is a shot of the album I got from Ebay. My cover is decidedly more rough.

December 20, 2019 10:27 am  #12

Does anyone remember the hockey coins showing individual players from the original six teams that were available with proof of purchase of Durham Corn Starch or Beehive Corn Syrup?

December 20, 2019 1:22 pm  #13

i worked for "the bank of nova scotia" for a few years in the 1970's (a brief detour from my desire to be a broadcaster). i remember pushing a promotion called the "scotiabank hockey college". it was a promotion created by then well-known hockey broadcaster brian mcfarlane. the concept was initially pitched to imperial oil but they didn't go with it. i might still have a few of the hockey college hockey pucks, in a box somewhere.

Last edited by the original hank (December 20, 2019 1:22 pm)