sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

October 29, 2019 6:43 pm  #1

Fake news...sends a cease and desist letter to the President

This is priceless...A Canadian Ad Agency has patented the term "Fake News" and has sent Trump a cease and desist letter to prevent him from saying it...since they own the rights to the term now...what a brilliant move!

It's "uge", "uge"!!!

It is media campaign aimed at legitimizing the news media anbd journalistic integrity in the U.S.  and it's quite creative...

Here is more on the story...

https://www.ctvnews.ca/world/trademark-application-for-fake-news-aims-to-reclaim-the-term-from-trump-1.4656172

What's your take Big Yellow?

Personally, I love it, it is funny and ballsy all at once.

Last edited by Muffaraw Joe (October 29, 2019 6:59 pm)

The world would be so good if it weren't for some people...

October 29, 2019 7:07 pm  #2

Re: Fake news...sends a cease and desist letter to the President

It's doing its job and getting them publicity, as intended. 

October 29, 2019 8:31 pm  #3

You fell for an ad agency's demo reel. I say that because if you actually follow the campaign's advice and do a little bit of reading, you'll see this is a toothless stunt that may be fake news in its own right.

The premise that they can stop the president from using the term "fake news" by trademarking it is false. Trademarks cannot be used to restrict a person's speech. They're used to prevent imitators in select industries. There has to be a legitimate fear that someone could confuse your brand/phrase/logo with something that already exists. Prior use by other parties and the commonality of the word also come into play. Apple's lawyers have gone ego-tripping in the past and they usually lose.

To make things worse, I actually dug up what appears to be their trademark application (the person listed under the filing is a Florida-based member of the SPJ). Look at the category they're seeking protection in: pens. They were strapped for options because multiple people have tried (and some have succeeded in) trademarking the term. As far as I can tell, Trump does not sell any merch, pens included, with "fake news" branded on it. What is that C&D for? Nothing. The best part is, they haven't even been granted the trademark yet, so if the USPTO denies their application, they'd be threatening a lawsuit over something they don't even have the legal right to.

I've read the CBC and Newsweek article on this. No mention of what I just said. Newsweek's editor should heed the marketing agency's advice, though. Research is important and journalists should try to understand words before using them. The URL for this story claims they've patented "fake news." You cannot patent a phrase. 

Last edited by Retaw (October 29, 2019 8:36 pm)

October 29, 2019 8:46 pm  #4

Honest, God-fearing types are too meek to declare their desire for the fetid PR ejaculate to be washed away by a civilisation-ending flood.

October 29, 2019 11:41 pm  #5

Chrisphen wrote:

Honest, God-fearing types are too meek to declare their desire for the fetid PR ejaculate to be washed away by a civilisation-ending flood.

What to make, then, of the City of Toronto's wet weather flow master-plan, a multi-million-dollar series of engineering measures intended to prevent stormwater that lands on the city's hard surfaces from ending up in Lake Ontario?

October 30, 2019 11:45 am  #6

About 4 years too late.

October 30, 2019 3:13 pm  #7

grilled.cheese wrote:

Saul wrote:

Chrisphen wrote:

What to make, then, of the City of Toronto's wet weather flow master-plan, a multi-million-dollar series of engineering measures intended to prevent stormwater that lands on the city's hard surfaces from ending up in Lake Ontario?

Toronto needs more permeable parking lots. 

PR bile should always sink where it lands.