sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

October 22, 2019 12:46 pm  #1

CHCH-TV now has a second paid-time vanity talk show.

This Week Live is hosted by advertising exec Michael Bratch.

https://thisweeklive.com/#about-the-host

October 24, 2019 3:45 pm  #2

Re: CHCH-TV now has a second paid-time vanity talk show.

CHCH in Hamilton has certainly turned itself (again) into a unique television outlet.  Some of their local shows cross over from being so tacky they become cool. Admit it, you have watched the galloping horses on Game Time on Saturday night and tried to find the three or four that were different from the others...

I am sure the daytime programming with all of the well chosen retro shows must be popular. I loved when they repeated all of the Mission Impossible series mid day last year and earlier this year. And Hogan's Hero's with no laugh track, gives it a whole different feel.  Love the retro CHCH TV/spaceman logo too.

Channel 11 has a strong history of quirky local programming with the Party Game, Smith and Smith, Red Green, Tiny Talent Time, Schnitzelhaus, Under Attack, Grapevine and of course the show that never dies The Hilarious House of Frightenstein which I remember coming home from school and watching back in 1971 almost everyday. In it's day Frightenstein was an ambitious program for a local station.  And Igor's dancing videos, way ahead of it's time. Does anyone remember the new wave/dance show that Chris Sheppard hosted on channel 11 live on Friday evenings? Think the show was on for a few years in the mid 80's.  I believe it was broadcast live from a club in Burlington.

I don't usually watch the local news packages, but it seems to be an honest effort and their 4 hour Morning Live program is again sort of odd ball at times mixed in with the news, sports and weather.

I read that they are moving in spring 2021 to new facilities and have sold their longtime home in downtown Hamilton. The old location will be converted into two condo complexes called Television City.

Last edited by paterson1 (October 24, 2019 3:48 pm)

October 24, 2019 4:40 pm  #3

Its Hamilton afterall....

October 24, 2019 7:52 pm  #4

paterson1 wrote:

I am sure the daytime programming with all of the well chosen retro shows must be popular. I loved when they repeated all of the Mission Impossible series mid day last year and earlier this year. 

It was the Mission Impossible run that caught my attention as well.  While the subsequent Starsky & Hutch series didn't interest me;  I like the fact that they run a drama show once and move on to a new one.

Currently I'm recording St. Elsewhere and Hill Street Blues;  2 ensemble dramas that still exceed the quality of many productions 3 plus decades later.

CHCH has become a great "Retro" source.

October 24, 2019 8:51 pm  #5

Perhaps they have found their niche. Providing content that's not widely available anywhere else.

October 25, 2019 7:12 am  #6

And also CHCH is one of the few local independent stations left in the country. They did a good job of the election the other night, focusing on ridings in channel 11's coverage area.  Other than Rogers, they were the only channel covering local candidates and ridings with any depth.

I would love to see them bring back some of the old Party Game shows, if they still exist.  For the first few years this show was hosted by legendary 1050 chum morning man Al Boliska, up until his sudden death in April 1972.  Maybe Game TV has run some of the old Party Game programs but I am not aware that they have.

Channel 11 also had a talk/interview show with Pierre Burton for many years. Pierre was one of the few people who interviewed Bruce Lee.   Burton had him on the show just as Bruce was gaining popularity.

October 25, 2019 8:09 am  #7

Perhaps the folks at CHCH saw the success of Antenna TV, Cozi TV, METV etc. south of the border and thought maybe running retro tv series here will work as well. I have often wondered who owns the Canadian broadcast rights to all those shows running on the above mentioned digital channels that are unavailable to most Canadian viewers.

October 25, 2019 8:44 am  #8

Probably has more to do with cost. I would imagine running these shows on a single independent station like CHCH would be very reasonable cost wise. Also daytime TV can be a bit of a nowhere land some parts of the day, so older shows help fill up the time and they likely do alright ratings wise.   The retro thing isn't really anything new, CKVR in Barrie was all retro for years all nights every night back in the 80's and 90's.

Darcyh made a good point that for some shows, mostly drama CHCH has run the series only once and then move on to something else. Some of the comedies have run twice like Mary Tyler Moore and then they are off.  But Hogan's Heroes and Rhoda only had one run. Maybe they will bring them back in a year or so.

I am not really sure how broadcast rights work for older shows. I guess you could purchase exclusive broadcast rights, however over the years i have seen the same series on various stations at the same time. I remember years ago CBC and Global were both showing reruns of the Simpsons, and of course Global was also showing the current season of the show on Sunday's as well.

For a while Bell Fibe had six US superstations in their lineup and these stations didn't appear to be related at all ownership or regional network wise. They carried a lot of the same strip series like Big Bang Theory, Mike and Molly, Two and a Half Men, Seinfeld etc. There was some variation but I was surprised how many of the same shows were on these channels. Like CHCH they tended to load up in the daytime and show movies or some current syndicated programming in prime time. KTLA was a great local news channel and much of their program schedule was LA News.

October 25, 2019 9:09 am  #9

I had forgotten about CKVR running old tv shows all night long. However, I think that was only Friday and Saturday nights and possibly Sunday nights on a long weekend. I could be wrong about that. There was also The All-Night Show with Chuck The Security Guard on ch 47. 1980 or 81 perhaps.

October 25, 2019 9:12 am  #10

CKVR's retro TV phase was quite popular here if memory serves. That's long before it became CTV 2, which appears to be a dumping ground for shows that don't fit on the main network.

October 25, 2019 10:25 am  #11

mace wrote:

I had forgotten about CKVR running old tv shows all night long. However, I think that was only Friday and Saturday nights and possibly Sunday nights on a long weekend. I could be wrong about that. There was also The All-Night Show with Chuck The Security Guard on ch 47. 1980 or 81 perhaps.

I believe it started off on weekends (Friday and Saturday) but I know during the summer months it was every night. RA is right it was quite popular for years and they did show a fairly eclectic mix of retro programming. I think CKVR even got into some retro in the daytime after they disaffiliated from CBC in the 90's. They were owned by CHUM during all this time, and prior to the NewVR and A Channel experiments.

October 25, 2019 11:01 am  #12

paterson1 wrote:

mace wrote:

I believe it started off on weekends (Friday and Saturday) but I know during the summer months it was every night. RA is right it was quite popular for years and they did show a fairly eclectic mix of retro programming. I think CKVR even got into some retro in the daytime after they disaffiliated from CBC in the 90's. They were owned by CHUM during all this time, and prior to the NewVR and A Channel experiments.

It was in the early 90s when they did most of the all-the-time between CBC programming of retro shows.  They also called it "Time Warp Television".   It was great.  Loved my Knight Rider and Gilligans Island at the cottage.

October 25, 2019 1:52 pm  #13

I really enjoyed them airing Hogan's Heroes with no laugh track.  It really did impart a different feel to the show.  It doesn't seem to be on DVD or Blu-ray in this format anywhere.  I was hoping the recent German release (where the dialogue is quite different in German) might have it but apparently not.

I also found myself getting into Mission Impossible as well.  Thank goodness for the PVR or I'd never get any work done.

October 25, 2019 2:41 pm  #14

paterson1 wrote:

CHCH in Hamilton has certainly turned itself (again) into a unique television outlet.  Some of their local shows cross over from being so tacky they become cool. Admit it, you have watched the galloping horses on Game Time on Saturday night and tried to find the three or four that were different from the others...

From what I remember, Game Time and the other senior call-in game show scams are actually produced in Eastern Europe.