sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

October 10, 2019 3:39 pm  #2

Re: CBC will no longer work with Netflix to produce shows

Yet another CBC executive who is sheltered from and doesn't have to answer to, (thereby refuseing to accept) the realities of the 21st. Century broadcasting marketl.

October 10, 2019 5:14 pm  #3

Smart to burn bridges with a big funding partner when there's a non-negligible chance a federal government hostile to the CBC might be elected into power.

October 10, 2019 7:37 pm  #4

Tait's comments to me were a little over the top. Netflix has  opened a production hub in Toronto and are three years ahead of their half billion commitment to Canadian productions, or more like productions produced here. CBC had some success co-producing with Netflix, so a bit short sighted in their thinking.
In fairness Netflix  likely will spent over 1 billion by 2023, so all good in that department. They are being forced to charge tax in Europe in a few countries, so if it happens here, who knows.

I was the only defender in the National Post comments of the CBC in this story. Only defending them since all of the other comments were against CBC, everyone  just wanted to shut it down or sell off and privatize, and I never really get the point of that. 

Played devils advocate a bit to try and make people justify their arguments, other than they don't like them or they are a mouthpiece for the government.  The Post is always slamming CBC so I tend to go the other way. I have never bought the line that they have this big advantage over the private networks.  They don't.  

October 10, 2019 8:52 pm  #5

I think it's very advantageous to be able to run a business with no real regard to the profitability or popularity of the material being produced. 

October 10, 2019 10:40 pm  #6

I think you could make the point that CBC and other public broadcasters (BBC, ABC Australia, TVNZ New Zealand etc.) are more a service than a business. Rightly or wrongly, their mandate is not to turn a profit like a regular enterprise. All public broadcasters do programming and cover very narrow topics that private broadcasters normally wouldn't. Both CBC and ABC Australia offer services in various aboriginal languages and of course CBC also broadcasts in the other official language on both radio and TV Canada wide. 

CBC radio doesn't compete directly with commercial radio in terms of programming. BBC Radio 1 and 2 in the UK do compete for the same audience as private top 40 and A/C stations. BBC 1 and 2 are very commercial sounding in approach and style. BBC 3 and 4 are more like CBC radio.

However, you could argue that CBC has some of the most popular radio in the country. They always show up very strong in the numeris ratings in pretty much every major market across the country. They do this again without competing directly with private radio, since there is no real CBC equivalent format in commercial radio.

CBC TV is another story, certainly not as popular as Global or CTV, but let's be honest, if those two networks didn't show US programming they would be much less popular and smaller networks.  I wouldn't say that CBC TV has no regard for popularity, they do have their popular shows that do show up from time to time in the top 30 shows. Their program schedule is over 95% cancon, with some specialized shows that will never be strong in the ratings.

October 11, 2019 8:54 am  #7

True. Much of CBC programming is not as popular as what is offered by CTV and Global. However, CTV and Global do not have access to the Billion dollars of taxpayer funds that the Mother Corp has. Yes, I realize some of that money is  for the radio and French divisions, but the television side still comes away with a sizeable wad of cash. The private networks rely on ad dollars and will run programs [mostly American] to get the most viewers. Obviously, most, but not all, Canadians prefer American imports to what the CBC offers. I have always felt the CBC has a rather arrogant and condescending attitude. It would not surprise me at all if the CBC complained to the CRTC that CTV and Global were not running enough Canadian programming in primetime.

October 11, 2019 9:29 am  #8

Media Observer wrote:

Yet another CBC executive who is sheltered from and doesn't have to answer to, (thereby refuseing to accept) the realities of the 21st. Century broadcasting marketl.

I thought CBC had a purge of all of the V.P.s of Pencils, and Regional Directors of Paperclips in the mid 90s...

October 11, 2019 11:23 am  #9

Some good points mace, can't say I disagree with a few of them,.

One thing that was pointed out to me a few years back however is that the $1.2 billion that CBC/Radio Canada receives from the taxpayer is not extravagant at all.  BBC in the UK receives over $6 billion yearly in Canadian dollars from the taxpayers, and ABC Australia just under $1.1 billion Canadian .In fairness both BBC and ABC Australia are commercial free. They both however do have a few of their specialty channels that do have commercials.

If you include advertising, program sales (CBC does sell some of their programs internationally), and cable fees from their 4 specialty channels, CBC/RC has about $1.6-1.7 billion per year to work with.  BBC, if you include these items has a working budget of over $8 billion per year.

For CBC this appears to be a huge budget, however it is not when compared to what Bell Media, Rogers and Corus have at their disposal every year. And granted the private companies are not dipping into the taxpayers pocket directly as does the CBC. However they do dip into various government sponsored program funds for Canadian programming, or tax breaks which are funded by you and me, the taxpayer.

Bell Media has 35 specialty channels, Corus 30, and Rogers 10. All of these channels charge the consumer fees every month depending on what package you have purchased. However some of these channels are a forced buy since they are bundled with some channels that often are not wanted.  Also most cases, Bell, Rogers and Corus (Shaw) own the cable or satellite company that is providing these channels to the consumer. So they receive the fee for the cable purchase and more money for the purchase of the specialty channels, every month.  Monthly charges can be very high, depending on the bundle purchased. I am ashamed to tell you what my Bell Fibe package is costing me every month.

CBC is no longer competitive bidding for major league sports. They could not match the $5,2 billion deal that Rogers signed with the NHL. TSN even outbid CBC for CFL rights. The one thing that CBC still does have is the Olympics until 2024, and they were smart to partner with TSN, Sportsnet and TVA sports. And they do also have the World Cup of soccer.

On line, I was reading a little about ABC Australia which seems to be a popular modern service. However they too have been accused many times by critics of being a mouthpiece for the government with a left leaning bias similar to CBC. BBC seems to be in a category all of it's own.

CBC arrogance?  At times, especially in some news reports and some of their "high brow" programming. BBC seems to have a better balance of snob appeal and lowbrow or very mainstream programming. The Brits aren't afraid to be occasionally politically incorrect and some of BBC programming both on radio and TV reflect this. Mind you if CBC went too mainstream, I am sure the howling and complaining would never end!

Last edited by paterson1 (October 11, 2019 5:19 pm)

October 11, 2019 11:51 am  #10

I had no idea the BBC funding was so high;  in addition to the fees collected from a mandatory household TV Licence.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Television_licensing_in_the_United_Kingdom

October 11, 2019 12:19 pm  #11

|Most of the funding is the license fee, according the the wiki link that you sent. About 75% of BBC funding is from the license fee for owning a television set which also includes businesses, hospitals etc. Total revenue for BBC 2017-18 was 5.06 billion british pounds, which I am assuming is including commercial sales and cable fees. The total would be about $8.5 billion Canadian  for their total budget.

Looks like the total revenue for CBC including commercial sales and cable fees is likely around $1.6 to $1.7 billion since they lost the hockey revenue.

October 11, 2019 12:35 pm  #12

My wording was poor, however whether License Fees or Consolidated Revenue,  at the end of the day there is only one taxpayer; who directly or indirectly foots the bill.