sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

March 20, 2019 7:44 am  #1

CING Fresh 95.3

What is happening at Fresh 95.3? Darrin and Colleen are not on morning show and are not on the Fresh website. Heard some kind of promo: "hit the Wham button by mistake" "hit the Smash Mouth button by mistake" - something about technical difficulties and Tuesday morning at 8. Also note the morning show is missing from the Y108 website.

March 20, 2019 10:01 am  #2

Re: CING Fresh 95.3

While I refuse to burn any bridges with Darren and Colleen, I actually like the Joel & Sam chemistry.
I know their morning show is just temporary on 95.3, but 
they make a good team...perhaps more for a (true) top 40 format, but still a good morning team. 

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.

March 20, 2019 3:34 pm  #3

Well, looks like a rebrand *is on the way

March 20, 2019 3:34 pm  #4

Sorry for the huge image

March 20, 2019 5:20 pm  #5

RadioAaron wrote:

Sorry for the huge image

It's gonna be BIG 95-3?

March 20, 2019 5:42 pm  #6

Saul wrote:

RadioAaron wrote:

Sorry for the huge image

It's gonna be BIG 95-3?

The station teasers word things as if they really are restoring Energy radio, but who really knows?

Last edited by Radiowiz (March 20, 2019 5:48 pm)

March 20, 2019 6:42 pm  #7

Maybe an FM relay of CKNT?   (yes, I know that Corus does not own CKNT)

March 20, 2019 7:38 pm  #8

NW wrote:

Maybe an FM relay of CKNT?   (yes, I know that Corus does not own CKNT)

Someone working over at CHML most likely read what you just wrote, spit out some coffee (or beverage of choice) and started laughing rather loudly...

March 20, 2019 10:32 pm  #9

Energy FM 95.3 launches Tuesday.

March 21, 2019 12:05 pm  #10

energyfm953.com has been registered March 9th 2019

I have a feeling it it will be EnergyFM 953.  Based on the Graphic, it's looking like a CHR driven format for sure... especially based on the voice used on the teases. 

I'm shocked they haven't tried to nationalize the JUMP brand, but Energy does have the history (outside the last few years of it's existence.  

March 21, 2019 12:38 pm  #11

This wont work eitheir.   Its going to be the same playlist (actually probably worse as they will remove any song thats more than 3 years old).  They want to use Energy FM and bring something back?  Play music from early 90s until today..this includes a few songs from the eurodance 90s days that Energy 108/CIDC Fm thrived on.

Really want to meet some of the radio executives out there that make decisions these days.

March 21, 2019 6:05 pm  #12

kman wrote:

markow202 wrote:

They want to use Energy FM and bring something back?  Play music from early 90s until today..this includes a few songs from the eurodance 90s days that Energy 108/CIDC Fm thrived on.

Really want to meet some of the radio executives out there that make decisions these days.

The mix of early 90s eurodance to today (with even the occasional 80's hit) is their current format. Possibly the return to Energy will mean all 90's, there's certainly a hole in both Hamilton & Toronto for that.

Checked their playlist for the past 12 hours and its strictly music of today.  The only 80s or 90s hits seemed to be a 30 min string around the lunchour (probably a themed show) otherwise their current format isnt much different than CHUM/Virgin.  

March 21, 2019 6:13 pm  #13

markow202 wrote:

[
Checked their playlist for the past 12 hours and its strictly music of today.  The only 80s or 90s hits seemed to be a 30 min string around the lunchour (probably a themed show) otherwise their current format isnt much different than CHUM/Virgin.  

Check carefully...maybe it was yesterday's 12 hour list. Spice girls wannabe was indeed played among a regular hit music mix. 
Also found this example:
Tag team Whoop there it is 2:27 PM:  https://953freshradio.ca/playlist/

Last edited by Radiowiz (March 21, 2019 6:26 pm)

March 21, 2019 6:54 pm  #14

They haven't changed anything with the music. If they plan to, it won't hit the air until re-brand.

March 21, 2019 7:01 pm  #15

radiokid wrote:

I'm shocked they haven't tried to nationalize the JUMP brand

It's ranked #12 in Ottawa, and they had to resort to a syndicated morning show. I'm not too shocked.

March 21, 2019 7:11 pm  #16

The name isn't the reason it's #12.  The content is the reason.   It's a market that still has hit factors in play, has a few choices playing the same thing in the same market.   Ottawa is a different animal.

As for the music on fresh... It has progressed from its launch... Very adult Chr at the start, moved more hot ac and progressed slowly back to a rhythmic leaning hot ac / adult chr..   

Everything until Tuesday is nothing more than speculation.

March 21, 2019 7:19 pm  #17

Yes, by 'not touching the music' I meant since firing the morning show and teasing a change. Totally agree that it has evolved over time.

Sure, Jump Ottawa has to deal with non-hit, but so does everyone else there. The concept there was solid - there's a runaway dominant CHR, so a streamlined, more-music, younger leaning CHR made sense. Yeah, the brand isn't what's hurting it, but it's not helping either. Corus has - what - 3 CHRs? There isn't even anywhere *for* the brand to extend without also duplicating the product, which isn't working.