sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

January 30, 2019 12:56 pm  #1

Church Group Applies For Scarborough Religious FM Station At 105.3

Just when you thought there was no more room left on the Toronto FM dial, comes this – an application to the CRTC for a licence for a Christian radio station based out of Scarborough.

International Harvesters for Christ Evangelistic Association wants to use 105.3 for an all Christian music format. It would only have an output of 88 watts. (Even with the low power, with adjacent stations at 105.1 and 105.5, I’m not even sure how this would be technically feasible.) Knowing this, the CRTC adds this: "The Commission will also take into account the availability or scarcity of spectrum when considering applications that propose to use one of the last known frequencies in a market." 

So now the CRTC has put out a call for input on whether there’s room in the market – in this case, Scarborough – for such a service, without impacting existing broadcasters. Interventions are due by March 1.

If they find there is room, then the field gets opened up to others to apply. And you can almost be sure that with a valuable FM frequency up for grabs, at least a few more will. 

Call for comments on market capacity and the appropriateness of issuing a call for radio applications to serve Scarborough, Ontario 

January 30, 2019 4:53 pm  #2

Re: Church Group Applies For Scarborough Religious FM Station At 105.3

There's a "station" in Chicago that's doing just that. It's actually on Channel 6 there, but uses that as an excuse to really be a radio station at 87.7 FM. 

And MeTV FM is something else no one anticipated - a huge ratings hit in the Windy City.

Chicago’s MeTV FM Takes the Back Door to Radio Ratings Success

MeTV Music Listen Live  

January 30, 2019 5:33 pm  #3

Don't most North American FM tuners start at 88? Would they receive a station at 87.5? I do remember though that I used to be able to listen to Global TV on FM when they used Channel 6, on some FM receivers at least. 

January 30, 2019 6:02 pm  #4

Hansa wrote:

Don't most North American FM tuners start at 88? Would they receive a station at 87.5? I do remember though that I used to be able to listen to Global TV on FM when they used Channel 6, on some FM receivers at least. 

I think most FM tuners start at 87.1, which means you could get it if you had a reason to go up that far. That said, I remember listening to "The Simpsons" on my car radio back when Global still had a signal on Channel 6.

And for those who go back far enough, CBLT used to be at that same TV dial position as well, and I remember as a kid going over to a friend's house, sitting on the front porch stoop and listening to the audio of "Mr. Magoo" as it played out on TV. 

Times certainly have changed. First, CBC shifted to Channel 5 and then went digital. And can you imagine the Corp. these days ever airing anything as politically incorrect as "Mr. Magoo," a cartoon about a nearsighted old geezer?

January 30, 2019 7:22 pm  #5

They actually use 87.75 if I am not mistaken. One in Cleveland plays Spanish-language music. I hear it from time to time. I have heard others on 87.75 as far away as Texas, Colorado, Memphis. Sound quality on 87.75 is a mixed bag. Maybe it's better than nothing. Certainly the multiple Islamic broadcasters on 87.9 here in the GTA would be affected (!)...

January 31, 2019 6:42 am  #6

Didn't a certain community radio station in Scarborough already do some research and declare that 105.3 FM can not be used due to interference with 105.1 and 105.5? 
(U of T Scarborough Campus radio)

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.

January 31, 2019 2:03 pm  #7

CHOQ FM has a directional antenna pointed straightly to the north, making it only audible in the downtown core, North York, and the central York Region. In Scarborough it has a moderate yet static signal, while in the western portion of GTA, such as Mississauga and Brampton, it’s literally inaudible. It might work if 105.3 is applied to Mississauga...

While Vibe 105 operates at a low power, it is fairly strong even at the Scarborough area, all the way along Hwy 401 from Hwy 427 to STC, therefore both station will cause 105.3 a strong interference in Scarborough.

January 31, 2019 3:47 pm  #8

Even if 105.3 Scarboro is licensed reception will be problematic for people in large parts of the GTA.  CHUM's Virgin Radio 105.3 Kitchener Waterloo operates on that frequency.   Expect that there will be significant co-channel during warm periods in spring, summer and fall, due to tropospherics which extend into the GTA.  If you listen to Zoomer 96.7, you will hear co-channel interference many times during the year from CKGL Kitchener.  There is no way in hell that CHUM would allow anyone to locate a station on 105.3 in Mississauga.    Even with a highly directional antenna, Mississauga will be too close to CHUM's 105.3 K-W.  
Vibe (formerly Radio York - York University) applied for a repeater on 105.3 Scarborough and would have retained 105.5 from the York Campus.  That application was denied.  The Harvesters' application is somewhat similar to the Vibe 105 application in terms of coverage.

January 31, 2019 5:09 pm  #9

Where I live in North York, I get significant "picket fencing" from CHYM in the car.  However, the 96.7 frequency was only meant to cover downtown, where it comes in nice and clear.

Since I'm in North York, 105.3 is a write-off because of the interference from 105.5.  That might not be the same case in Scarberia.

January 31, 2019 6:10 pm  #10

Given all the potential interference, I can't see how they could possibly use that frequency, even with an 88-watt output and ERP of 150 watts. 

That said, I have to admit they seem to have hit on one of the few formats that doesn't exist in this market, especially on FM. Only WDCX from Buffalo is close and of course, CJYE-AM 1250 in Oakville. But I think both of those tend to be more preaching than playing music. Still, I've never met a single person who admits to have ever listened to either of them.  

February 3, 2019 9:44 am  #11

This is the kind of thing that could happen if the Scarborough station is greenlighted. It doesn't take place often and in the case below from Atlanta, I can't quite figure out how it was ever allowed to occur. You'd think the pre-engineering studies that are usually mandatory when a newcomer takes to the air would have caught something like this before it happened.

But according to the article linked below, it's the second time in the same area that someone had to leave the air due to interference! 

Jazz Station Forced Off The Air By FCC Due To Interference With Another FM

June 3, 2019 6:46 pm  #12

Why don't they just buy time on 105.9 FM? 
Other languages are now, so I'm sure they'll gladly welcome the extra revenue from a religious source also...

http://1059theregion.com/shows/charming-china/

January 26, 2021 1:30 pm  #13

Is there an update on this?

January 26, 2021 2:18 pm  #14

Radiowiz wrote:

Is there an update on this?

It appeared on an agenda for consideration in October of 2020.  Probably another little while before a decision comes out.